Last Purolator filter i will ever buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my Toyota I've been using them since before 2010 and I cut those cans. I've yet to find a tear o lator. Not saying they don't happen all filter makers very likely all have tear 0 lators. I've posted several on mine here on BITOG by the way.
I had issues with the puke colored filters with the metal flecks. I had a few good filters, and a few with issues that I didn't really comment much about. Then came the tear O lators. IMO there are a lot of better filters for the same or less money. So for me I won't bother with Purolator, and I dropped them as a result. Odds are I'll never buy one again. For me the risk vs. reward isn't worth it, even if the risk is small. What I've seen and read here keeps me away, even years later. Opinions vary.

Thanks for the C&P. Nice Jeep you have there.
That filter should have never left the production line. Even though some Purolator filters have a media tearing issue, I have yet to come across one.
And, until I see one, from me cutting it open myself.............
popcorn2.gif

It seems to be a luck of the draw for me on what filter has a good glue job. Ive had a Wix XP, Napa Gold, and a RP with splatter of glue everywhere.

doesn't bother me In the slightest.

i won’t be using a Purolater again either!!!! I had a Boss given to me by the Advanced Rep, had it installed on one of my trucks and now there is a hurricane hitting Florida. Had zero hurricanes, install a Boss and BAM a week later we have a hurricane “tearing” through the state. Coincidence?? There are No coincidences. :ROFLMAO:.

Very nice CJ-7!! I like the tube doors! I used to run Purolator on my XJ a few years ago, but after finding the hole in one of the pleats after cutting it open, I have pretty much used only Wix filters on my Jeeps since, and have yet to be disappointed. All the Wix filters I've cut open have looked great.

Yep. I have invested WAY to much into my Jeep to trust parts that obviously lack quality control. The glue probably didn't cause any problems but the anti drain back valve didn't do it's job on this filter, that is enough for me to not spend money on one again.
You would probably be surprised at the things you would find if you cut open and examined a couple of thousand full-flow oil filters of mixed brands.

These are filters, not watches.

I also note this is the bottom rung of the Purolator filter ladder.

If you put a lot of money into your engine, I'd climb the ladder a rung or two.

You would probably be surprised at the things you would find if you cut open and examined a couple of thousand full-flow oil filters of mixed brands.

These are filters, not watches.

I also note this is the bottom rung of the Purolator filter ladder.

If you put a lot of money into your engine, I'd climb the ladder a rung or two.
That's cool, so we should expect defective products from a manufacturer if you don't pay for their more expensive product?

That sure hasn't been my experience for the companies I work for, thank goodness.

On my Toyota I've been using them since before 2010 and I cut those cans. I've yet to find a tear o lator. Not saying they don't happen all filter makers very likely all have tear 0 lators. I've posted several on mine here on BITOG by the way.
As has been noted here, it's a lot easier to prove that some thing exists rather than to prove it does not.

And to your second point there have never been posts with torn Denso/Toyota or Honda filters, nor for some other brands such as Baldiwn. Sometimes I think that to say it happens on them all is just a way of excusing it on this brand.

I gave up on them years ago when they went from the very good bluish/purple filters to the puke colored metal flake painted filters. Many of which had the metal flakes on the rubber gasket and base plate. If memory serves me correctly the torn media followed, I'm sure someone will correct me if my timeline is off. ;) IMO the puke colored filters was the beginning of the end for them, and I haven't looked back. I read these threads from time to time, see they still have problems, and have no intentions of ever using one of their filters again.

Thanks for posting the pictures!
If you’re referring to the blue PureOnes, which transitioned to the mustard PureOnes, you’re right on the money-I have a feeling this was in the time period when Mann + Hummel bought the rest of Purolator & started running them into the ground (around 2012 or a little earlier).

As has been noted here, it's a lot easier to prove that some thing exists rather than to prove it does not.

And to your second point there have never been posts with torn Denso/Toyota or Honda filters, nor for some other brands such as Baldiwn. Sometimes I think that to say it happens on them all is just a way of excusing it on this brand.
I cut everything I change, and other than some questionable pleat spacing and waviness on lower end Fram, they’ve been fine. Newer Puro built anything seems to be Russian Roulette!

I wouldn't buy and install a bargain-basement filter on any vehicle that I planned to keep, let alone complain when it looks like a bargain-basement filter inside when I hacksawed it open.

If you’re referring to the blue PureOnes, which transitioned to the mustard PureOnes, you’re right on the money-I have a feeling this was in the time period when Mann + Hummel bought the rest of Purolator & started running them into the ground (around 2012 or a little earlier).
That sounds about right based on the time frame. Once the Pure One filters went to the metal flake puke color, that imo was the beginning of the end for them. I haven't used one since.

I wouldn't buy and install a bargain-basement filter on any vehicle that I planned to keep, let alone complain when it looks like a bargain-basement filter inside when I hacksawed it open.
It can look like a "bargain basement" filter without being defective. One should be able to discern the difference unless someone is just making excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back