Last Purolator filter i will ever buy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Precisely.

A little glue on the media of the bargain basement filter led to "Last Purolator filter i will ever buy!"

I don't go to McDonald's and expect prime rib.
No, but for the third or fourth time you expect that there is the weight of hamburger on there that is advertised. Or that the mustard isn’t battery acid. Or that the bun isn’t full of bugs. You expect that the hamburger is a hamburger and not defective.

This is apparently a concept that you are either unable or (more likely) unwilling to grasp, you and your doppelgänger.

"You get what you pay for" seems to strike again.
One thing about the low-end filters made in Fayetteville, NC, the original Purolator factory that I have never seen elsewhere: the filter media is hand-assembled.

In fact it used to be common to find the media bound with string

Purolators Disassembled

which allowed them to assemble the filter while the glue was still setting.

What I see in the picture is a hand with with glue on it moving the completed media element back onto the assembly belt.

It's cosmetic - the media appears to be unharmed.

... in the time period when Mann + Hummel bought the rest of Purolator & started running them into the ground (around 2012 or a little earlier).
Here is the story:

Bosch, Mann+Hummel, and Purolator

Arvin Meritor - whose core business is axles, brake and safety systems, drivelines, suspensions, and trailers both OEM and aftermarket, owned Purolator.

Mann+Hummel and Bosch formed a joint venture and acquired Purolator in 2006.

In 2012 Mann+Hummel bought out Bosch's share of the joint venture.

I am unaware of any changes that either the joint venture or M+H made in either management or manufacturing processes of the plant in Fayetteville that would have affected quality.

What M+H has done is supplement Purolator's catalogue with filters from its world-wide network of manufacturing facilities so that Purolator can provide filtration for a wider range of applications.

It was said elsewhere better than I could ever say it:

Anecdotal Evidence

“Where only one or a few anecdotes are presented, there is a larger chance that they may be unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases. Similarly, psychologists have found that due to cognitive bias people are more likely to remember notable or unusual examples rather than typical examples. Thus, even when accurate, anecdotal evidence is not necessarily representative of a typical experience. Accurate determination of whether an anecdote is typical requires statistical evidence.”

The poster did not allege that the weight of the filter was lower than advertised, or that it contained mustard, battery acid, a bun, or bugs. It appears to be a functional cheap oil filter with a cosmetic blemish, not a defective oil filter that would not do its job.

One thing about the low-end filters made in Fayetteville, NC, the original Purolator factory that I have never seen elsewhere: the filter media is hand-assembled.

In fact it used to be common to find the media bound with string

Purolators Disassembled

which allowed them to assemble the filter while the glue was still setting.

What I see in the picture is a hand with with glue on it moving the completed media element back onto the assembly belt.

It's cosmetic - the media appears to be unharmed.
The Defective Filter Apologetics Group has increased its ranks with you two (one?) new members.

The poster did not allege that the weight of the filter was lower than advertised, or that it contained mustard, battery acid, a bun, or bugs. It appears to be a functional cheap oil filter with a cosmetic blemish, not a defective oil filter that would not do its job.
It's getting thick isn't it?

I guess it's hard to keep inventing new and innovative excuses when the old ones no longer work, regardless of how many user names are working on the problem.

It can look like a "bargain basement" filter without being defective. One should be able to discern the difference unless someone is just making excuses.
Well, the PF63’s in my cabinet were $4 since I bought a dozen (2 vehicle) … they are better quality than the pile of new Purolator’s I cut that included P-One, standard, and MC … Zerox is missing some paper …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back