Last oil change was almost 2 years ago

long story short last time i changed oil was almost 2 years ago. I normally change my oil every 6k or 6 month, but since i moved last year ive been busy and forgot all about it. I think i have about 9-10k miles in the 2 years. 90% mileage was put on 1st year. 2nd year car was barely driven.

As of right now i dont experience any noise or symptoms. Should i worry down the road? did i cause any wear or damage? or have i dodge a bullet since i dont experience any noise or symptom? I use pennzoil full synthetic every time if it makes a difference.

long story short last time i changed oil was almost 2 years ago. I normally change my oil every 6k or 6 month, but since i moved last year ive been busy and forgot all about it. I think i have about 9-10k miles in the 2 years. 90% mileage was put on 1st year. 2nd year car was barely driven.

As of right now i dont experience any noise or symptoms. Should i worry down the road? did i cause any wear or damage? or have i dodge a bullet since i dont experience any noise or symptom? I use pennzoil full synthetic every time if it makes a difference.

Wouldn't make a habit of it. But one time isn't going to detonate the engine.

How are your driving habits? If your only driving 10k miles in 2 years, seems like a yearly oil change would suit you fine.

Also, what vehicle, engine and mileage?

We'll let it slide this time but we can't have this happen again.

Just kidding! I don't think you hurt anything. Just change the oil & filter and keep with using a good synthetic oil as you were doing. Say on a regular schedule and make sure you're using better than just the economy or standard filters as well.

Last edited:
With regular periods of it being brought to, and having full temp sustained, I don't see how the oil will care....

As long as the moisture is cooked off, external filter doesn't rust, and the car isn being stored in a high moisture area you may be able to pull this off..

but just this one time....

UD

Last edited:
Just change it when you can (sooner rather than later). Many cars are designed to go 10k miles per oil change though they usually say to change it at least every 12 months, so 10k miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. Just like I can't guarantee you it's 100% fine, anyone who might suggest you've "possibly" done damage is just talking out of their posterior (and using the "possibly" as their out).

Change it, sleep fine, and don't give it a 2nd thought.

Changed the oil today noticed oil filter was leaking abit, oil level was little below(a quart less estimate)(not sure how long ive been driving like this) and oil started to have some sludge! Now im worried, what are the possible damages?its 2013 mustang gt, moved to NY last year and havent drove the car much. I waited and forgot about the oil change due to freezing temperature here and i didnt have a area to do my oil change.

Last edited:
Changed the oil today noticed oil filter was leaking abit, oil level was little below(a quart less estimate) and oil started to have some sludge! Now im worried, what are the possible damages? its 2013 mustang gt, moved to NY last year and havent drove the car much. I waited and forgot about the oil change due to freezing temperature here and i didnt have a area to do my oil change.

Zero issues. Life will go on. Just change it and do it right next time.

My 2004 Saab was the first car I had factory rated for extended drains, up to 24months and 24k miles.

But even our MY 1994 vehicles (Previa, Integra) allowed 7500 mile OCIs and back then Honda allowed filter changes but every other time.

I have a lot of cars so the low use ones get a change only every other year.

24 months really isn't that long and 10k not that far!

You say you've been busy but put less than half of the normal mileage on your car? Busy training for a triathlon?

Oil doesn't age in the sump, the filter is probably OK too. It's not like it sat for two years, if it was being used that's not even 10k miles regardless to time.

I don't think sludge will develop that quickly (less than 2 years). I think it would take years and years. Change it again in 2000 or 3000 miles and see what it looks like.

What he said. ^^^^^^^^

It is hard to imagine that sludge would build up with only 2 years/10k miles. However, if you feel the oil was a little on the thick side, take the care on a nice weekend drive to put some real miles on it, and then change the oil again to clean out the engine. Based upon what you have said about your low mileage driving now, 2-3k miles could take you a long time. So perhaps only 400-600 miles would be a good interval to clean things out.

Just change oil and filter now with the proper spec. Why are you asking if you know yourself that you may be out of time and possibly mile parameters? Just don't make excuses, and no matter the miles change no later than annually.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I don't think sludge will develop that quickly (less than 2 years). I think it would take years and years. Change it again in 2000 or 3000 miles and see what it looks like.

This

Back