Last oil change was almost 2 years ago

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
I don't think sludge will develop that quickly (less than 2 years). I think it would take years and years. Change it again in 2000 or 3000 miles and see what it looks like.

Originally Posted by ammolab
Describe the appearance quantity and location of your "sludge".

The oil was really dark and abit thick at the bottom once old oil settled in the catch pan. It had a thick layer didnt move much when being tilted. Does this mean it already cause wear in my engine? also why does overdue oil change oil filter leaks?

Last edited:
driving with low oil little below minimum(lost a quart oil) not sure when happen mostly likely in 2nd year when it was barely driven, any possible damage?

Last edited:
Oil leaks or drips can be a loose filter or at the drain plug. Plugs have a seat or washer and can be replaced on the next service and this type of drip or leak is not uncommon and usually not an indication of oil / engine problems from these sources.

As for the low oil, I think of it as a 5 quart engine at 1 qt low is a 20% shortfall. The oil is going to get it's life used up a bit faster in this case but there shouldn't be any real problems. Many oil tests on motors that ran it 8000 miles or more and weren't even synthetic showed good life and lubrication qualities still.
Do better at monitoring the level once or twice a month, topping it off as needed and noting your calendar or some reminder on the OCI you want to stick with. Once or twice a year or ? you prefer. This will insure you Zero worry and good nights of sleep.

grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bachman
Oil leaks or drips can be a loose filter or at the drain plug. Plugs have a seat or washer and can be replaced on the next service and this type of drip or leak is not uncommon and usually not an indication of oil / engine problems from these sources.

As for the low oil, I think of it as a 5 quart engine at 1 qt low is a 20% shortfall. The oil is going to get it's life used up a bit faster in this case but there shouldn't be any real problems. Many oil tests on motors that ran it 8000 miles or more and weren't even synthetic showed good life and lubrication qualities still.
Do better at monitoring the level once or twice a month, topping it off as needed and noting your calendar or some reminder on the OCI you want to stick with. Once or twice a year or ? you prefer. This will insure you Zero worry and good nights of sleep.

grin2.gif

Thanks, its a 2013 mustang gt my first car i bought 7 years ago and i have been learning to do all my maintenance ever since. Moved to NY last year and life gotten very busy to a point i forgot all about it and the cold temperature and lack of space to do an oil change is another reason i keep putting it off. Normally im good with oil change do one at 6month regardless mileage.

My drain plug is bone dry, all oil leak came from oil filter my guess is due to late oil change the seal probably broke down or shrinked.

So you dont think the thick layer of dark oil i found in my drain pan pose any indicator? possible engine wear or sludge in engine parts?

The GT requires 8 quarts of oil, when i checked the oil i was about 2 quarter thickness below minimum. When i measured the drained oil i estimated it was about 1.5 quart short. Not sure when this happened or how long ive been driving with low oil but no oil light ever came on. Im guessing it must of happened 2nd year that when oil filter seal broke down, maybe it broke down earlier? i dont know

Last month when i drove in uptown NY there were some steep hills like in San Fransisco, probably went through a few for few minutes.

Everyone probably could tell by now im very worried, i do plan to keep this car forever so its my baby we are talking about lol.

Last edited:
Change the oil in either one year, or 3K, whichever comes first. Check the dipstick once a month during low use.

If this Mustang is your "baby", then why did you neglect it so long? Nobody forgets they own a car outside.

Older post I know, but the "2-years ago" got my attention! With so many people driving significantly fewer miles due to Covid and working from home displacing commuting, I was wondering what the vehicle manufacturer's perspective is? As suggested, I would expect the oil/filter should NOT deteriorate over a couple of years of low mileage usage in typical driving conditions.

Seems all manufacturers recommend a minimum of an annual oil change irrespective of miles driven. Wondering what risks there are in voiding warranties, should an issue arise. Tempting to ignore or simply reset the service light for another twelve months. Understand an annual visit to the dealership gives them the opportunity for a complete inspection to head-off any pending problems, as well as implement recalls. (May have answered my own question here.)

Thoughts?

Older post I know, but the "2-years ago" got my attention! With so many people driving significantly fewer miles due to Covid and working from home displacing commuting, I was wondering what the vehicle manufacturer's perspective is? As suggested, I would expect the oil/filter should NOT deteriorate over a couple of years of low mileage usage in typical driving conditions.

Seems all manufacturers recommend a minimum of an annual oil change irrespective of miles driven. Wondering what risks there are in voiding warranties, should an issue arise. Tempting to ignore or simply reset the service light for another twelve months. Understand an annual visit to the dealership gives them the opportunity for a complete inspection to head-off any pending problems, as well as implement recalls. (May have answered my own question here.)

Thoughts?

The key word here is recommend. For those driving very few miles for whatever reason, going to a two or even three year schedule should be fine.

long story short last time i changed oil was almost 2 years ago. I normally change my oil every 6k or 6 month, but since i moved last year ive been busy and forgot all about it. I think i have about 9-10k miles in the 2 years. 90% mileage was put on 1st year. 2nd year car was barely driven.

As of right now i dont experience any noise or symptoms. Should i worry down the road? did i cause any wear or damage? or have i dodge a bullet since i dont experience any noise or symptom? I use pennzoil full synthetic every time if it makes a difference.
Your kidding...right?

Back