Lasko Box Fan-- Made in USA!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was 96F today, and I don't have A/C, so I finally broke down and decided to go buy a fan.

I bought a $14.99 Lasko branded box fan from Home Depot. To my pleasant surprise, it was Made in USA!
thumbsup2.gif
banana2.gif

For the price point, I was expecting to get a Mexico or Chinese built fan. I was not expecting the fan to be built in the states.

So here you go, here's another way for you to support domestically produced products without breaking the bank.

34.gif

How are you able to survive anything above 80 without a/c? Even with a fan, it still wouldn't be enough. I can't wait until the sizzling heat of summer comes along...not!

Originally Posted By: The Critic
It was 96F today, and I don't have A/C, so I finally broke down and decided to go buy a fan.

I bought a $14.99 Lasko branded box fan from Home Depot. To my pleasant surprise, it was Made in USA!
thumbsup2.gif
banana2.gif

For the price point, I was expecting to get a Mexico or Chinese built fan. I was not expecting the fan to be built in the states.

So here you go, here's another way for you to support domestically produced products without breaking the bank.

34.gif

Hate to rain on your parade bud but I too, bought a Lasko box fan 2 yrs back and even though the outside of the carton box sez: "made in USA", when I took apart the motor unit for oiling, it's made in China.

Q.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
It was 96F today, and I don't have A/C,...

Ouch. They sell window units pretty cheap too. I couldn't handle your situation. Does it cool way down at night?

Funny you're already using a fan while I'm still using a heater. My portable Lasko ceramic heater bought last year was made in China though.

I'm in the same situation. No A/C, 97*, 78% humidity sitting in a room with 40 other people. It did drop to 60* overnight and it will only be 75* today. I own one of those Lasko fans also.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
How are you able to survive anything above 80 without a/c? Even with a fan, it still wouldn't be enough. I can't wait until the sizzling heat of summer comes along...not!

96 F without AC is perfectly fine. When I was in college I could always go to the library or run a fan, when it was 110F.

Transporting a load of air (most of the volume of a box fan) via cargo ship into the US is pretty expensive, the average cargo container is between $800-2000 each trip. How many box fan can you put in it?

Now transporting motors, plastic parts, cable wires, etc are pretty cheap because they don't take much space. Bending sheet metals in the US and put in a couple screws are not that expensive either, plus you get to label it as made in USA.

The assembly of the fan in US is probably going to cost more than the motor and the rest of the Chinese parts combined, that's the truth of manufacturing in the US.

I just went though this buying a Dishwasher. I ended up with a Whirlpool made in the USA. I didn't realize that they had begun moving appliance manufacturing overseas also. There was a nice GE I liked at Home Depot, but it was made in China, which is odd because all of the other GE units they had there were made in Kentucky.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I didn't realize that they had begun moving appliance manufacturing overseas also. There was a nice GE I liked at Home Depot, but it was made in China, which is odd because all of the other GE units they had there were made in Kentucky.

I have yet to see a currently made dorm sized 'fridge made in the USA, even if it does have an American brand label on it.
I was talking to a shipping/receiving guy at a mega-sized appliance store a couple of years ago. He told me that about 1 out of 15 Haier branded (Chinese) appliances will fail within a month of being sold. As they steal our technology, I'm sure the odds will improve.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I just went though this buying a Dishwasher. I ended up with a Whirlpool made in the USA. I didn't realize that they had begun moving appliance manufacturing overseas also. There was a nice GE I liked at Home Depot, but it was made in China, which is odd because all of the other GE units they had there were made in Kentucky.

if it's a higher end appliance (viking, sub zero, etc) USA made is the way to go. but low priced USA items, you have to wonder, where did they compromise to be able to mfg it at US wages?

mpvueif it's a higher end appliance (viking said:
Just like the automakers, if it's made overseas, they don't pay the union wages, pensions, health/life insurance, 401K, etc.
I guess the only thing not being shipped overseas is upper management. Yet.

it's in the 60s here, but over the summer. no a/c is a killer for me. I bring a big gulp of ICE COLD beverage. I don't sweat as much.
wink.gif

I may have the same one.

Lasko 20" Box Fan

"Crafted with Pride in the USA of Imported and Domestic Parts."

Box fans cool a house off pretty quickly in the evening, and the fresh outside air is much better than air conditioning if it's not humid. I set it up so that the fan is in the window blowing in, with the rest of the window sealed off and windows at the other end of the house open.

I never had A/C growing up. We always just used a big industrial box fan in the ceiling of the second floor that sucked cool air through the house every night. It's not a necessity around here, and I only use A/C for about twenty days each year. It was a necessity in an apartment I once lived in though.

Originally Posted By: rpn453
"Crafted with Pride in the USA of Imported and Domestic Parts."

Assembled by artisans in prison, maybe?
LOL.gif

I just checked my Lasko ceramic heater (guess its time to put it away). Says Made In China on the back.

I guess Lasko can cool America but can't heat it.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
I just checked my Lasko ceramic heater (guess its time to put it away). Says Made In China on the back.

I guess Lasko can cool America but can't heat it.

See my shipping density post above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back