Laser Printer Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a Minolta-QMS PagePro 1250W Laser Printer.

I was having some trouble with my other printer, so I took this Minolta printer out of storage (it had only been sitting for a couple months).

I tried using the printer to print 10 pages of forms. After the fifth page or so, I suddenly get no output. No streaks. No darkness. Just nothing. No warning at all-- the five pages that I had printed had been perfect as usual.

I knew the toner cartridge was running low, so I went ahead and put a new cartridge in. No change at all. Still nothing prints out onto the page. I've tried printing different files from different programs, but the end result is the same-- nothing shows up on any printed page.

Any ideas? Could it be the drum?

I'm going to guess that it's the high voltage supply that charges the drum to transfer the image. Or something wrong with the controller that tells it to operate.

With drum kits and toner costing so much, it may be cheaper just to go to newegg.com and pick up another laser printer for around $100.

I would buy a Samsung laser printer these days than reviving anything 3+ yrs old on laser printers.

STill got my wifey's old HP 4M laser that she just simply refused to throw away...and I refused to service/rebulit it for her, citing that buying a new Samsung with all the bells and whistles (networking-capable) is way cheaper nowadays then shopping for servicing parts...

Plse take care.

Q.

I also have a Samsung that has been great. I wish I had a network capable one so I don't always have to have my desktop on to share it. Anyone tried Brother?

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
I also have a Samsung that has been great. I wish I had a network capable one so I don't always have to have my desktop on to share it. Anyone tried Brother?

I currently using a 10BaseT jetdirect hub + HP 2100 laserjet printer that I got both for free (decommissioned from my company)...replaced the rollers and a chinese made toner cart for 26USD, it's gonna provide me and my wifey a few more years of usage until the toner runs out and then I'm gonna buy a Samsung for replacement.

IMHO nowadays it makes no sense to revive any laser/inkject printers for the sake of squeezing extra miles out of them (been there, done that, not worth the time + money honestly).

My 2c's worth.

Q.

I spent $50 on a Laser 4000--it needed a fuser assembly.

Waste of money? Not really. That printer supports automatic duplexing--not a feature you're going to find on any $100 printer..also has a monthly duty cycle of 60,000 pages..also not a feature you're going to find on any $100 printer..and the toner cartridges cost about $50 and print 10,000 pages.

It also has a 500-page input tray.

It is a high-volume, heavy-duty laser printer that is well worth fixing if it breaks.

Something like a Samsung ML-2010? Let it hit the trashcan when it breaks.

Brain, if you're talking about an HP Laserjet 4000, then those are worth every penny. We've had them in service for a decade and more and they just will not break.

I bought a Samsung ML 2250 4 years ago for $80-90 and I have never even changed the toner yet. Compare that to an ink jet that prints about 100 pages and the ink needs to be replaced to the tone of about $40-50 and it is pretty cheap.

I got a Canon inkjet a few years back with auto-duplexing. Pretty nifty, and worth getting a $10 black ink cartridge for a year's worth of printing.

I have a Brother HL2070N, which is the network model. Normal price was about $110-120, we got it on sale for $90. We've run a couple of cartridges through it and it has been reliable so far.

I have a Samsung laser too (ML-1200). I just picked up a D-Link parallel to 10/100 print server (DP 301P+), connect it to my wireless router and now I have a wireless printer.
http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DP-301P-100...5421&sr=8-1
I've used this too (different laser printer): http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-1-Port-Parallel-Server-TE100-P1P/dp/B00007IFDR/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_b

Worked great as well.

Last edited:
I'll chime in on the Samsung bandwagon. We just bought a Samsung CLP-315W color laser for about $240 and it's great. It has both wired and wireless ethernet and for what we do around the home, it's outstanding.

Newegg had a Samsung Networkable B/W laser (285?) the other day for $99.99. I wanted to get it, but couldn't see spending $100 just to get networking. My current ML-2250 works great I just have to share it out in Windows. May try one of those print server things. I have read that they are hit and miss with compatibilty.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I'll chime in on the Samsung bandwagon. We just bought a Samsung CLP-315W color laser for about $240 and it's great. It has both wired and wireless ethernet and for what we do around the home, it's outstanding.

I have the same one, it's even Linux friendly.

I just have to share it out in Windows. May try one of those print server things. I have read that they are hit and miss with compatibilty.

I've used D-Link for the past 6-7 years. Both printer and server work fine. Just set up a static IP for the server in your router.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
I just have to share it out in Windows. May try one of those print server things. I have read that they are hit and miss with compatibilty.

I've used D-Link for the past 6-7 years. Both printer and server work fine. Just set up a static IP for the server in your router.

From what I've read you need to do your research on printer compatibility. They only publish a small list of compatible printers that is pretty old, so I guess you need to use the "try and see" method.

I bought a Samsung rebranded Dell Laser printer a few years back for 49 dollars when an internet vendor had them on sale.

It has lasted 4 years, and taken 3 $20 dollar cartridges in that time, and plenty of abuse.

Some of the sub 99 dollar monochrome laser printers are a great deal. Much cheaper to operate than a ink jet.

I just bought my dad a Brother monochrome laser when staples was having a closeout for 39 dollars. It works fine!

People who buy those 20 dollar HP printers at walmart are getting ripped off on ink. I actually have a friend who throws the entire printer out, and just buys another one. It is cheaper than buying ink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back