Laptop Wakes Up From Sleep Mode By Itself

I guess I'd kill all the applications I could (eg. what if some Adobe updater phones home every few hours to check for updates?) not only by closing their GUI's but any background services via Task Manager. Maybe even shutter some Windows services to test for effect.

Heck, you could always turn off the WiFi via software or a hardware switch on the laptop and see if you're greeted with any errors - either in the form of a dialogue window or entry in a log file somewhere - in the morning.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more
I guess I'd kill all the applications I could (eg. what if some Adobe updater phones home every few hours to check for updates?) not only by closing their GUI's but any background services via Task Manager. Maybe even shutter some Windows services to test for effect.

Heck, you could always turn off the WiFi via software or a hardware switch on the laptop and see if you're greeted with any errors - either in the form of a dialogue window or entry in a log file somewhere - in the morning.

I checked the "Power Mangement" setting on all of the hardware that has the power management option. All are set to not allow them to wake up the computer.

From the DOS command I used (see previous posts), it seems like the process waking up the computer is coming from "StartMenuExperienceHost".

Guess my next test is to try Method 4 in the Microsoft Support link below (see Junaid_A post).

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ing/537b6473-83b3-49ee-a11d-312c9c44a36b

Well, setting the CsEnabled to 0 (Off) in the Registry as described in Method 4 (see the Microsoft link in above post) did not work. Methods 1, 2 and 3 didn't work either. Guess I'll set CsEnabled back to 1 (On) for now and move on to other experiments.

So I did a 'powercfg /waketimers' DOS command and found another hint, which points to:
[SERVICE] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\svchost.exe (SystemEventsBroker)

Also found this long Microsoft Support thread about this issue. Sure seems like many people are complaining about Windows 10 self waking when in Sleep Mode. Come on Microsoft, are you really that inept in computer coding to not make it simple for people to turn off ALL wake timers if they want to.

Expand all posts in this Microsoft Support thread to see all responses.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ery/12b32ace-fb6b-4ab9-9aa4-3f03446a5a94

[Linked Image]

More info ... this is getting ridiculous.

So I go into Task Scheduler and try to uncheck the "Wake the computer to run this task" and a window pops up asking for a password. Searching around the internet it seems Microsoft has essentially locked out users from being able to change this (and other settings) in Task Manager. Lots of hits about it in Google searches.

Found this article addressing the issue, and the work around it to use a Microsoft tool called 'PSTools' to be able to disable the Update Orchestrator. The link to the PSTool is in the article. People are pretty upset about this whole "wakes up from sleep mode" issue ... and I see why. Apparently, in earlier versions of Windows 10 a user could go into Task Scheduler as Administrator and make the changes ... but not now.

https://tapiovalli.wordpress.com/tag/updateorchestrator/

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by javacontour
Doesn't windows have some sort of event viewer? If so, has that been checked for messages as to why it's waking up?

A quick google search shows this as the first hit: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/63136-see-wake-source-windows-10-a.html

Edited to add, looks like I should have waited a bit, you found some of the same commands.

I hope you find the source...

Thanks for the tip ... but yeah I've searched high and low for a solution for days, and have tried half a dozen "solutions" that never worked.

Looks like the best bet at this point is to download and use a tool called 'PsTools' to be able to disable the "Update Orchestrator" settings, and follow the instructions of how to use PsTools to give super Admin rights so I could go into Task Scheduler and disable some of the "Wake the computer to run this task" settings.

However, from what I've read it sounds like changing that settings in Task Scheduler is not permanent, and it will revert itself back to checking the "Wake the computer to run this task" box somehow. Essentially, a Windows 10 machine is controlled very tightly by Microsoft and will revert some settings back to what Microsoft wants them to be, even if you've found a way to set them to what you want them to be. Big Brother lives in Windows 10.

Apparently, all this started after a Windows Update in the last year or so. Before that, people could go into Task Scheduler and change the "Wake the computer to run this task" settings with just user Administrator rights and the setting would stay set. If anyone reading this has a Windows 10 laptop, make sure you shut it all the way down if you put it in a carry case. People have reported that they put it away in while in Sleep Mode, and it woke up and got super hot because it had no air circulation in the carry case.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/pstools

Article about using PsTool to make the change in Task Scheduler by giving elevated user privileges. A ton of stuff can be found on all this with Google.
https://tapiovalli.wordpress.com/tag/updateorchestrator/

Update - I wanted to bring this back up to say that I've discovered that my laptop now does operate correctly in "Sleep" mode like it should. This is the first time I've tested it since Windows 10 updated to version 2004. I've basically been manually closing everything and shutting the laptop all the way down, but now I can just put it into sleep mode and not have it wake itself up every 3 hours like clockwork.

Maybe Microsoft finally listened to their customers and fixed the self waking non-sense, because there was a lot of complaining about this on Microsoft's community website over the last couple of years.

Here's a snap-shot of the hardware monitor I use, and it shows the time the computer was sleeping. Compare to the data captured in Post #19 when it would wake-up by itself every 3 hours.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Back