laptop stays at "acquiring ip address"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sxg6
Have you tried opening up Internet Explorer to see if it automatically opens to some sort of a usage agreement? Basically a web page with a bunch of rules that you have to agree to before you will be granted internet access.

Well?

What kind of laptop is it? And is there a tag on the bottom with a serial number, service tag, or express service code on it? If so, what is it? You can use this information to see what the laptop came preconfigured with, and attempt to download a new driver using that information.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
at most hotels you need to go through their main page, usually hosted by ibahn or similar to actually get an IP address and move to access the internet.

SOmetimes it doesnt work. More than once Ive had to call and request that equipment be reset.

Id try to restart a few times, reset your equipment, do a dhcp release and renew, make sure you have no manual settings set, etc.
I know this is how the free wifi is set up at my local library.....you have to have everything set as "Automatically set".....check your network adapaters and make sure you don't have any DNS or DHCP settings pre-set....

Kind of a pain in the behind, cause at home I like using 192.168.1.1 - as my local gateway, and 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220 as my DNS....BUT, with those "set" - my laptop would not connect to the libraries computer....once I set them to "automatically set" the computer connected, after I opened up Google Chrome, and was prompted with the library Terms of Service agreement, and agreed.

I take it that this is a company laptop that you are having trouble with.

Take it to your IT folks and see if either they can fix the problem or give you an new upgraded laptop.

Sounds like this one has been around for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back