Laptop motherboard dead, can I replace and have windows 10 activate?

So lenovo

Flex 5-1570​

the motherboard passed away peacefully due to a power supply component failing. I found some used motherbaords on ebay and would like to order a new one. Can I swap the whole this and pop the m.2 drive in and have windows re-actiavte?

Is your Windows license the OEM one supplied with the laptop originally or a copy you bought ? If it's an OEM, it might be trickier. If it's a copy you bought, as I recall you can tell it you replaced some hardware and it will activate. Initially, for all it knows, this is a 2nd machine with the same license.

If you tied your license to a microsoft account and were logged in, then yes. If not, the license is tied to the motherboard. But in your case since the motherboard is likely to have a license, I think you're good. But its unclear to me what would happen if that refurb had been tied to a MS account.

Reactions: Y_K
Since it's a laptop with a proprietary motherboard, you'll have to replace it with another Lenovo 5-1570 board, so it might just work.

You can always call Microsoft and explain you paid for the MS Win 10 license when bought the computer and ask them for new product key to activate Win if need be. They've done it for me in the past for free.

Sorry the update wont be interesting. They decided to hold onto it for parts for their other 7 units. all parts still good with exception to motherbaord.

Was that the same OS your laptop came with? or did you buy the windows yourself? The new motherboard might also be linked to another license Lenovo already bought for so it might still work (as all models from Lenovo all came with the same license).

Yes all factory. Windows 1903 out of box for laptop and who knows what OS was on the one i would have bought off flea bay.

I've done it. When you go to activate Windows, it will either register or tell you to call a phone number. The last time I did it the phone number was automated and you just answer some questions and it automatically activated online..

Reactions: GON
Back