LaGuardia Terminal B receives award for best new airport terminal in the world for 2022

Despite not being as good looking as him, I have not taken off or landed at the wrong runway ( hopefully never will ).

It was something we can laugh about now. Maybe he thought he was landing the Millennium Falcon? I wonder if he would have gotten in trouble for saying something like "You know, sometimes I amaze myself." Reminds me of this:

ihl0u.jpg

But here's the chatter after he landed.

Hi - it's husky eight-niner hotel uniform.
I'm the schmuck that landed on the taxiway.
Hi - just a couple of things.
One..
I was distracted by the airliner that was in movement when I turned to the runway, and also the big turbulence from the landing Airbus on the parallel.
OK - so can I get your name and your pilot's license?
The name is Harrison Ford.
OK.
And my pilot's license, it's in my backpack.
OK - take your time, no big deal.
Well - it's a big deal for me. Hold on.

I think we all know what happened in SFO that night - but I don't blame the crew for acting on the visual illusion, I blame them for not reading the NOTAMs or the ATIS that 28L was closed, and planning appropriately.
It was something we can laugh about now. Maybe he thought he was landing the Millennium Falcon? I wonder if he would have gotten in trouble for saying something like "You know, sometimes I amaze myself." Reminds me of this:

ihl0u.jpg

But here's the chatter after he landed.

Hi - it's husky eight-niner hotel uniform.
I'm the schmuck that landed on the taxiway.
Hi - just a couple of things.
One..
I was distracted by the airliner that was in movement when I turned to the runway, and also the big turbulence from the landing Airbus on the parallel.
OK - so can I get your name and your pilot's license?
The name is Harrison Ford.
OK.
And my pilot's license, it's in my backpack.
OK - take your time, no big deal.
Well - it's a big deal for me. Hold on.

But he had Chewbacca as his co pilot In the Millennium Falcon.

Last edited:
The new Seattle Tacoma International terminal will be getting an award soon but not a good one. Someone really dropped the ball on this one.

• Sad
Reactions: GON
And at Phoenix's Terminal A, gate crowding has spilled into the general walkway; quite a choke point. I sense the new LGA terminal does not have this problem. And the bathrooms at PHX terminal A are well exceeded capacity.

PXL_20230413_214211291.jpg

Any airport I have been in at prime flying time has been like GONS picture.....it's a post pandemic everyone wants to travel!

One would think that the gate personnel would organize the line to allow the passage of others just trying to get through?

I get a chuckle when a large wide body is boarding by rows or sections and a lot of passengers hurry to to get in line even though their row wasn’t called only to be turned back by the gate person.

The new Kansas City single-terminal airport that opened a month and a half ago is a HUGE upgrade over the original!

One would think that the gate personnel would organize the line to allow the passage of others just trying to get through?

I get a chuckle when a large wide body is boarding by rows or sections and a lot of passengers hurry to to get in line even though their row wasn’t called only to be turned back by the gate person.
PT,

The issue believe it or not is MBAs/ and Masters in Economics, when it comes to American Airlines. There is no place to move these PAX, and I can't believe the airline employees report to work day after day in these conditions- that has to be a better paying job with better hours.

The MBAs/MEs approved recommendations were to add 18 seats to existing narrow body mainline aircraft. Next these MBAs/MEs got approved "extreme banking", where all the flights arrive and depart at near like times, instead of staggered times. This dumps more people into the terminal than it was designed for.

Next, these MBAs/MEs got approved to utilize the airports least able to support additional seats and extreme banking, Charlotte and Phoenix. CLT and PHX have the lowest per PAX landing fees, when compared to pare airports like DFW, ORD, SEA, etc.

Probably one of the greatest tragedies of additional seats per existing narrow body aircraft and extreme banking is dignity and respect of passengers. This can be noticed so easily at CLT and PHX, where going the bathroom is many times a significant challenge. The restrooms can't handle the amount of PAX.

The MBAs/MEs approved recommendations were to add 18 seats to existing narrow body mainline aircraft. Next these MBAs/MEs got approved "extreme banking", where all the flights arrive and depart at near like times, instead of staggered times. This dumps more people into the terminal than it was designed for.

That doesn’t seem smart at all to an outsider like me. That kind of system puts pressure on all the services at the airport plus making it a bad experience for passengers.

That doesn’t seem smart at all to an outsider like me. That kind of system puts pressure on all the services at the airport plus making it a bad experience for passengers.
Yes, but this system allowed the AA CEO to go from a net worth of high six figures /very low seven figures, to cashing out very low nine figures in under 36 months. Of course, this same CEO was the first airline executive to show up at the White House looking for billions in aide.

One additional thing to remember, airlines truly do not have competition domestically. The reason is, the airlines "own" the landing rights for their routes. This is rarely discussed. To run a airline requires a certain amount of critical mass. No access of landing rights at peek times to prime places prevents competition from truly making a change in this "race to the bottom".

I fly on average eight plus flights per week, 40 plus weeks per year. I am on a flight this very moment (35,000 ft). As I have posted before, I don't ever plan on flying once I retire.

Last edited:
I fly on average eight plus flights per week, 40 plus weeks per year. I am on a flight this very moment (35,000 ft). As I have posted before, I don't ever plan on flying once I retire.

You will miss it. 😁. Just think about flying to a nice sunny location with palm trees and a beach.

• Wow
I was at LAX Terminal 1 recently. It wasn't that bad really. At least the terminal wasn't that bad. Ground transportation sucked though.
I was at that terminal a while ago - it was just recently remodeled. My most recent trip was into PDX, it was drastically remodeled on the C terminals(Southwest/United/Delta/Spirit), and it looks Alaska has lock on terminal D, with American also using those gates due to alliance.

The airports are really upping their game. The Milk terminal at SFO is really nice.
OAK is starting their renovation, at least on the Southwest side, terminal 2. The few times I’ve flown to/from SFO wasn’t bad - my experiences are the international/T1 Milk(American)/T3(United). The Milk terminal is fresh, T3 can use a facelift - seeing how United rules SFO.

I was at that terminal a while ago - it was just recently remodeled. My most recent trip was into PDX, it was drastically remodeled on the C terminals(Southwest/United/Delta/Spirit), and it looks Alaska has lock on terminal D, with American also using those gates due to alliance.

Portland is really going to town on their airport. The new designs are really something.

You can upsize the aircraft, to some extent, and that’s up to the airline that is servicing the airport. This is why Boeing built the Max, so that companies could get more people on one airplane, and still fit that airplane at the gate in smaller airports, but that upsizing has limits. Many airports cannot fit larger airplanes. You won’t see anything big at LGA.
When we were last through LGA, it was a dump, as was DCA on our last visit, although DCA does at least have some nice views of the capitol.
WRT nothing big at LGA, back in the day the L-1011, DC-10 and A300 were all operated in scheduled service to the airport.
Of course, today, frequency rules and our flight out of LGA back to DAY was on a CRJ-200.

When we were last through LGA, it was a dump, as was DCA on our last visit, although DCA does at least have some nice views of the capitol.
WRT nothing big at LGA, back in the day the L-1011, DC-10 and A300 were all operated in scheduled service to the airport.
Of course, today, frequency rules and our flight out of LGA back to DAY was on a CRJ-200.
Times change, DCA might be the nicest non international airport in the USA, maybe the world.

AA-DCA-New-Concourse-Centrum.jpg

Both do fit within the perimeter rule.
This is how it works, clearing customs at a airport that is not a international airport, between the US and Canada.

Back