labs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is blackstone slipping so bad to not be trusted for virgin oil samples?
who is the best lab to send samples to now ?

I wouldn't say that they are all that bad, but I personally use Polaris because I can get the wear/additive metals profile and the TBN relatively cheap when you buy your test kits from Amsoil (AKA Oil Analyzers Inc.). Polaris meets A2LA accreditation for almost all of their methods and that is no slouch of a task. As I continue to send in blind duplicates the folks at Polaris Indianapolis have yet to fail....their coefficient of variation is quite low so for the price I stick with them. I have not personally qualified their other lab locations (i.e. Salt Lake).

Go through Oil Analyzers, Inc. (OAI). OAI contracts with Polaris Laboratories, LLC. The benefit of going through OAI rather than directly to Polaris is you can buy individual test kits through OAI and they are the same kits. Polaris labs sell their test kits in packs of ten.

Polaris Laboratories, LLC has the highest level of accreditation an oil analysis lab can have with the ISO/IEC 17025:2005 A2LA

Blackstone Laboratories is a non-accredited lab.

CompSyn,

As stated in my previous post I definitely agree with you, but a few minor points need to be clarified about Polaris.

1. Not every Polaris test method in place has been accredited via A2LA. The systems in place governing the company's laboratories have successfully met or exceeded conformance (as demonstrated via the registration audit and follow up process) to the criteria specified in ISO17025:2005.

2. The test package offered by Amsoil/Oil Analyzers is a unique hybrid test (due to inclusion of oxidation, nitration and TBN) that goes beyond contaminant screening and wear metal quantification at a ridiculously low price. Even buying in 10 packs doesn't get you to the convenient economy that you can get with single sample (non-postage included) kits bought via the Amsoil system.

3. I am now up to my 801st sample with one of their lab locations and can say that they don't skimp. You must ship the samples via a traceable method though!

I also wished that Amsoil would stop trying to convince the world that it has it's own oil analysis company...for goodness sake we all understand preferred provider and contracting relationships these days! In none of the literature I've read from OAI do they discuss the fact that they are ISO 17025 or A2LA (if I missed this please let me know) and that is a big miss! Having said that, however, I've found that several of the major oil companies (Chevron) do the same thing with their distributors.

Hey kirknbr,

Glad to see you on this board!
thumbsup2.gif

You and I have the same make and model truck that we tool around in when we aren't in the working world, and I also see that we have tread similar ground in the certification realm...congrats. From your join date (April 08) I can see that you have been lurking here for a while, but with 8 posts I just want to say welcome again to BITOG
welcome2.gif
and I look forward to seeing you contribute more.

Originally Posted By: pickled
CompSyn,

As stated in my previous post I definitely agree with you, but a few minor points need to be clarified about Polaris.

1. Not every Polaris test method in place has been accredited via A2LA. The systems in place governing the company's laboratories have successfully met or exceeded conformance (as demonstrated via the registration audit and follow up process) to the criteria specified in ISO17025:2005.

2. The test package offered by Amsoil/Oil Analyzers is a unique hybrid test (due to inclusion of oxidation, nitration and TBN) that goes beyond contaminant screening and wear metal quantification at a ridiculously low price. Even buying in 10 packs doesn't get you to the convenient economy that you can get with single sample (non-postage included) kits bought via the Amsoil system.

3. I am now up to my 801st sample with one of their lab locations and can say that they don't skimp. You must ship the samples via a traceable method though!

I also wished that Amsoil would stop trying to convince the world that it has it's own oil analysis company...for goodness sake we all understand preferred provider and contracting relationships these days! In none of the literature I've read from OAI do they discuss the fact that they are ISO 17025 or A2LA (if I missed this please let me know) and that is a big miss! Having said that, however, I've found that several of the major oil companies (Chevron) do the same thing with their distributors.

Great points!

I agree with you about not seeing any affiliation between OAI, Polaris and the ISO17025:2005 A2LA accreditation at OAIs website. I did not know this myself until I talked with the Technical Director at Amsoil, Inc., Dan Peterson, and posed the question to him as to the level of accreditation OAI has; you can’t find anything on their website. I expressed to Mr. Peterson that OAIs website should show the accreditation, which he agreed and was going to be talking to OAI about it.

I have never had a problem with Blackstone. They have always been very professional and have saved me a lot of time and money. They always go the extra mile.

Originally Posted By: CompSyn
I expressed to Mr. Peterson that OAIs website should show the accreditation, which he agreed and was going to be talking to OAI about it.

That's great news because they have partnered with a solid outfit why not market the relationship a little better.
21.gif

The thing about blackstone is it always seems their numbers ar very low and not accurate enough for me.

does polaris give the same recomendations etc... as blackstone on the letter back.

is there a sample post on here somewhere to show thier work.

Originally Posted By: built
The thing about blackstone is it always seems their numbers ar very low and not accurate enough for me.

does polaris give the same recomendations etc... as blackstone on the letter back.

is there a sample post on here somewhere to show thier work.

Below is what the OAI report looks like which is identical to Polaris Labs report. Also, Horizon is the name of Polaris Labs online report system.

364626359.jpg

Also found at: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1468146&fpart=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back