Kumho Solus KR21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking at getting a new set of all seasons for our '99 Civic. My local tire guy is giving me a great price on Kumho Solus KR21 tires. Any comments good or bad on these tires? The Tirerack reviews look okay.

These tires would only be used during the warmer months, so winter is not an issue. The car sees lots of high speed and racks up the mileage quickly. So treadwear and comfort are important.

How good is the price?

I've read that the General Altimax HP tires are the best bang for the buck right now, maybe you could give those a look?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
How good is the price?

I've read that the General Altimax HP tires are the best bang for the buck right now, maybe you could give those a look?

Agreed.

The KR21 is a good tire, had them installed on my dads car a few month back. And they are quite tires compared to the original Dunlop tires he had on his Honda.

I read some where on the web that the Sumitomo HTR H4 is an all season tire with very low rolling resistance. Is this true ?

I put them on a geo metro last fall. This winter, we have had record snow, and they make my little car feel like a 4 wheeler.
I can now get around just fine up to about 7 inches of snow, then it starts to get tough.
I would buy again!

The price is excellent, the best I can find locally for a "premium" all-season. I am just looking for input from anyone who has owned these tires. I want to know if that are a good tire for high mileage, comfot, and how they perform in general for a typical commuter vehicle.

Thanks for the link to the other theard. It was very helpful.

I have a set of these. I have an overall mixed opinion on them.

They have an 85,000 mile warranty, but mine are worn down to 7/32nds and 5/32nds (not front and rear; according to the specs they start with 10/32nds) after approximately 18,000 miles. I can't see how I will get 85,000 miles out of them.

The rain performance seems to have eroded some since new. No hydroplaning or anything though.

They make more noise than the stock Michelins on my old 2005 Accord. But we have cement roads here that are much louder than asphalt.

But they are significantly cheaper than a lot of other options, so of course there will be tradeoffs.

I would also suggest looking through the reviews on tireack.com... if you put in your car's model and then search for tires, you have the ability to read reviews only from people that also have your car.

On the plus side, they easily fit my tight budget. And they are nowhere near horrible.

Overall, though, I don't think I would buy these again.

Prior to buying the Pirelli P4's, the Kumho Solus KR-21's were amongst the top of my list of tires until I just couldn't get them for my vehicles due to their popularity and often being out of stock at my local tires stores and on tire web sites. So, needless to say, I wasn't able to experience their well made tire at a great price. The KR-21 score high in tests with compatable tires and owners seem to love them.

I have them on my Chrysler minivan. Great tire. Inexpensive, nice ride, and quiet. They balanced out very well. Responsive, but in a minivan that's an oxymoron. Bought them on recommendation from the last Consumer Reports road test which indicated good all around performance (ride, noise, responsiveness, tire life).

Last edited:
This is an 85,000 mile tire? They came on my new Hyundai Accent, a 2008. A set that came on my 05 Accent GT, some other model tire, same brand, sucked. But these stick, they're wearing like iron, and they're very smooth at high speeds, too. I was surprised to get the impression that I had good tires out of the dealer, and now it's confirmed!

Who'da thought?
01.gif

I've been happy with the ones I have on my Taurus back in September 2008. I got them at 56K and just passed 87K with a stout Chicago winter in between. They performed well in snow and rain. They do okay on ice as long as it has some texture but they definitely not a substitute for studs/chains. They've saved my bacon several times. At 40K they have a lot of tread left on them (75%?, need to measure) and I've never had them rotated. They are quiet and smooth. I haven't had issues with any of them losing air. I've had them up to speeds well past any US speed limit you might see without any trouble.

I got mine from Discount Tire for 462.48 out the door, which was the best price for premium level tires from any of the area shops for any brand.

Mine are marked Made in Vietnam.

There is no data on long term reliability of tires made in China and/or Vietnam. I would like to buy tires made in USA or EU if it is possible.

True enough. However I'm sure a lot depends on the exact nature of the relationship between the factory in Asia and the named company. If you just call up a Chinese factory and say "ship me something with my name on it" then you are going to get shafted pretty soon. That seems to be the jist of the last scandal with Chinese tires. If you actually have your own managers and engineers inside the facility that should give you the product you expect. Additionally, I thought Vietnam was a big rubber exporter. I wonder if there's any savings in not shipping intermediate products so far.

I had the Kumhos installed last week. So far very happy with them, hopefully they will be long lasting. Thanks for all the comments.

I just put some 215/70/16 on my wifes car. I got them for $360 installed plus tax. I have heard alot of good about these tires, but I was skeptical of the brand myself. They are made in China. They look good, they are quieter and a little smoother ride than the old Goodyears on there. The compound is very soft to the touch, I have no idea how they can be rated 85k with such a soft compound.

I got these on my beater Grand Marquis for $370 OTD 2 months ago and I'm happy about the price and the tires so far. In our desert heat, there's no way I'd keep any tires for 85,000 miles. The Michelins I replaced had plenty of tread left, but the rubber had deteriorated to the point where I wouldn't trust them in 120F summer days.

For the price, if I can get 3 years of driving on em, I'll have gotten more than my money's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back