Kubota oil help

I found the article I was talking about it was on this site here is a link:

Dave

Thats a nice tractor. Those things were indestructible. My neighbor got one that sat in a field for 15 years untouched. Put new filters on it and replaced the fuel and battery and it fired up. He has been running it for 5 years now, no issues.

Thats a nice tractor. Those things were indestructible. My neighbor got one that sat in a field for 15 years untouched. Put new filters on it and replaced the fuel and battery and it fired up. He has been running it for 5 years now, no issues.
Thanks I appreciate it yeah I think i'm going to like it. Here is a picture of the beast.

Dave

20210712_174334_HDR.jpg

Not sure what the oil filter is on your L185,

but the canister Wix 57030 / NAPA 7030 oil filter just became discontinued...

Conversion kit for canister to cartridge is Part #15213-32070, new gasket is 15213-32320.

New oil filter is Wix 51342, but a Wix 51516 also works...

Thanks I appreciate it yeah I think i'm going to like it. Here is a picture of the beast.

Dave

View attachment 63611
Wow. Looks to be in good shape. There’s a rough 4WD of this vintage sitting in a barn between my house and my parents house. I always tell the wife one day it’s going to follow me home.

2 cylinders have a rattle of their own too. My dad has a Ford 1500 of this vintage. Japanese made with a Ford paint job. 2 cylinder 19 horse. The thing is a little beast. Belonged to his grandfather.

I found the article I was talking about it was on this site here is a link:

Dave
Okay so it wasn't an article at all but a post to Bitog that the poster then debunked himself.

Somehow I would not use a vague reference to someone somebody said they talked to once as the entire basis for a decision.

Not sure what the oil filter is on your L185,

but the canister Wix 57030 / NAPA 7030 oil filter just became discontinued...

Conversion kit for canister to cartridge is Part #15213-32070, new gasket is 15213-32320.

New oil filter is Wix 51342, but a Wix 51516 also works...
I ordered a 51034 wix that I was told would fit hopefully it does I couldn't see the wix number on the old one it was turned to the back
thanks for the info I appreciate it.

Dave

Wow. Looks to be in good shape. There’s a rough 4WD of this vintage sitting in a barn between my house and my parents house. I always tell the wife one day it’s going to follow me home.

2 cylinders have a rattle of their own too. My dad has a Ford 1500 of this vintage. Japanese made with a Ford paint job. 2 cylinder 19 horse. The thing is a little beast. Belonged to his grandfather.
yeah I looked at some Fords almost bought a 3 cylinder but the guy went on vacation and I found this kubota and liked it so it followed me home. LOL

Dave

Okay so it wasn't an article at all but a post to Bitog that the poster then debunked himself.

Somehow I would not use a vague reference to someone somebody said they talked to once as the entire basis for a decision.
Just something I read sorry to mislead or upset anyone wasn't my intention

Dave

For what it's worth, for years I owned a grey-market Mitsubishi D2000 II compact tractor, most similar to the US–spec Satoh Bull. The engine was the KE130 2–cylinder diesel, 1.3–liter. Like Kubotas, Mitsu tractors are rugged. Mine had been built around 1980.

I changed the oil and filter several times, well before the 50–hour oil change recommendation on an old Japanese label on the tractor. I used different brands, most often Motorcraft, but always 15W-40. That oil was never a problem. I used NAPA filters.

Owning a small diesel taught me how quickly the oil turns black in use, darker than almost any oil in any gasoline engine will turn in service. :)

For what it's worth, for years I owned a grey-market Mitsubishi D2000 II compact tractor, most similar to the US–spec Satoh Bull. The engine was the KE130 2–cylinder diesel, 1.3–liter. Like Kubotas, Mitsu tractors are rugged. Mine had been built around 1980.

I changed the oil and filter several times, well before the 50–hour oil change recommendation on an old Japanese label on the tractor. I used different brands, most often Motorcraft, but always 15W-40. That oil was never a problem. I used NAPA filters.

Owning a small diesel taught me how quickly the oil turns black in use, darker than almost any oil in any gasoline engine will turn in service. :)
Thanks for the info

Dave

yeah I looked at some Fords almost bought a 3 cylinder but the guy went on vacation and I found this kubota and liked it so it followed me home. LOL

Dave

Dave
Most compact Fords of this vintage should be made in Japan by Shibaura if you ever find yourself needing to get another.

They still make tractors for Case New Holland as well as engines for Massy Ferguson. They even make/ made the engines for the cheap Chinese tractors sold by Northern Tool. Not much brand recognition here though like Kubota or Yanmar, who makes most compacts and compact engines for John Deere.

Hello,

for what its worth:

In 1983 I arranged and met with a team of Kubota engineers in Japan and engine oil types were a subject discussed.

I was involved in prototype testing programme I had established here in OZ using temperature activated electronic stop-start devices on two small diesel engine types. These were fitted to front mounted refrigeration units on semi-trailers used between Syd-Mel-Syd at temperatures ranging from about -10C to 40C+ (allowing for air shock probably -15C).
The collective advice from the engineers was that Kubota (then) had to ensure that their engines used (required) a basic lubricant that was available worldwide and especially throughout Asia - from rice paddies to highways! They advised me that they would not (then) recommend using a synthetic (not widely available then).
However, on return to OZ and back to the project, I ran a group of Isuzu and Kubota engines on Castrol R 15W-50 synthetic with great results and out to 2000hr OCIs using Oil analysis. I later involved Thermo-King in our test programme and met with their senior personnel in the US - they embraced it!

Today you will find the product of all of this in that most road transport refrigeration units use such stop-start technology

The Label displayed in this thread says "DS" (Diesel Severe) (API) so a modern HD 15w-40 is all that is required (subject to lowest start temp)

Hello,

for what its worth:

In 1983 I arranged and met with a team of Kubota engineers in Japan and engine oil types were a subject discussed.

I was involved in prototype testing programme I had established here in OZ using temperature activated electronic stop-start devices on two small diesel engine types. These were fitted to front mounted refrigeration units on semi-trailers used between Syd-Mel-Syd at temperatures ranging from about -10C to 40C+ (allowing for air shock probably -15C)
The collective advice from the engineers was that Kubota (then) had to ensure that their engines used (required) a basic lubricant that was available worldwide and especially throughout Asia - from rice paddies to highways! They advised me that they would not (then) recommend using a synthetic (not widely available then).
However, on return to OZ and back to the project, I ran a group of Isuzu and Kubota engines on Castrol R 15W-50 synthetic with great results and out to 2000hr OCIs using Oil analysis. I later involved Thermo-King in our test programme and met with their senior personnel in the US - they embraced it!

Today you will find the product of all of this in that most road transport refrigeration units use such stop-start technology

The Label displayed in this thread says "DS" (Diesel Severe) (API) so a modern HD 15w-40 is all that is required (subject to lowest start temp)
Thanks for the response I appreciate the information, those Termo-King units are everywhere, there is a Thermo-KIng
service center a few miles from me. That is cool to hear the history on that technology for the temp controlled on and off.
thanks
have a good one
Dave

Back