Kubota genset filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone here point me in the right direction for kubota generator filters? I have the three cylinder diesel GL11000. I've got cross reference numbers covered for oil filters, but the air and fuel filters appear to be factory only items, and the internet is for once no help on an issue. I tried my local Kubota dealer, and he didn't even know my model existed. He was able to find 6500/7000 parts, but my unit isn't even listed in his system. I don't think he would've believed me, if I hadn't walked in with the owner's manual. The kubota factory site gave me the runaround to check with their gen division, which I couldn't find.
I tried a cross reference at carquest for the fuel filter, which looked right, but alas did not fit. If I'm gonna have this much trouble finding filters, I'm just going to do some mild fabrication to adapt the unit to commonly available parts, as it's out of warranty by now.

What are the part numbers on the filter(s)? That is hella lame the dealer couldn't help you. Maybe try another dealer?

Can you find a plate on the engine itself to get a engine model/serial number?

Last edited:
I did some googling for GL11000 and one had a specification chart that listed the engine model as a D722. If that is the case Baldwin lists oil, air, and fuel for that engine.

Lube: B179
Fuel Spin-on: BF940
Some Std. Air: PA3664-FN
Some Radial Seal Air: RS3715
Some Radial Seal Air: RS4803

If you want to search this yourself to see if it is right. just go to Baldwins website go to their e-catalog and select off highway. Use Kubota --> engine ---> D722

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Texan4Life
What are the part numbers on the filter(s)? That is hella lame the dealer couldn't help you. Maybe try another dealer?

Can you find a plate on the engine itself to get a engine model/serial number?
It's not his fault. I tried some online dealers, who only list the 6500, or the 7000 at best. The engine is indeed the 722. I appreciate the google and I'll give those numbers a try, but my own attempts got me part numbers for the same engine in tractor/bobcat applications. It gets better: there were two different filter sizes depending on production for fuel, and all the dealers I've chatted with have told me trial and error is the best method for figuring that one out. Kubota considers the air filter washable for a predetermined number of uses, but I'd like to have a spare on hand. My nearest dealer (the one I tried in person) is just down the road a bit, but the next one is some forty miles out. No luck on evilbay either. If I had the factory part numbers, I'd be in business, but kubota only lists them in a parts manual and service manual, neither of which can be ordered for the gl series by any of the dealers I've tried. I've only been able to get my hands on a manual covering the engine itself. It looks like the air and fuel stuff is considered application specific.

P.S.-Kubota's factory site considers the genset division a separate entity in N.A., and they're apparently shrouded in the "stonecutters" myth of Simpsons fame. The rep couldn't give me any specific contact info, which I'm told isn't surprising. It's a shame, really. This generator is a darn good unit with a rep to back it up, even for a 3600 rpm model. None of the wholesale generator sales sites that carry this model list parts online, but I guess a try there is my next step. At least I settled on T6 and got that quandry out of the way.

no prob. T6 is an excellent choice IMO
laugh.gif

I think your right about trial and error. so a filter sourced locally would be best so you can return it if need be. Maybe your local sources could have better luck crossing Baldwin numbers?

It lists 3 different air filters. the site has pictures so hopefully one of them looks like the one you have.

Does the oil and fuel filter look the same or similar? I couldn't help but notice the two filters baldwin list uses the same threads. odd cuz make it easy to swap filters around by mistake.

didn't think it would come up with anything, but wix crosses the BF940 to Wix #33390

orielly's (if you have one) would be able to get the wix for you to try.

or carquest might be able to cross it to their filters.

The oil filter is a match, but the fuel filter you listed looks like a tractor app. I've been swapping oil and filters constantly to get the break-in particles out of the engine, no problem with the wix/carquest or kubota stamped filters. My genny has the threaded glass bowl with the two possible size element inserts for fuel, also considered "washable" in clean fuel for two or three uses-I call b.s. and want a spare. I've only put 8 hours on this thing for exercise and brief outages, so I haven't even cracked the air housing open yet. The manual stated it's a two piece design, with outer and inner elements. Maybe you see what I mean; it just might be easier to modify the fuel system for a common spin-on. Maybe I'll build the first known airdog equipped genny. Likewise for the air cleaner. As for the T6, my vehicle, snowblower, and genny fleet are all diesel, so it was a logical all season/one oil choice for me. The riding mower is the next project on my list.

I own a GL6500, picked it up barely used for $1000 two years ago. This thing is amazing, and ran a friends entire house by backfeeding thru the dryer plug.

Sucks the filters for yours are hard to find, mine already had a Wix on it when I bought it, so Ive stuck with that.

I built a "load bank" if you can call it that, a 6500w water heater element in a piece of pipe with a garden hose inlet at the bottom and discharge at the top. It blew major soot chunks out of the muffler once it got hot and runs with less smoke when its cold after really working it hard. It didn't come with an hourmeter but I installed a nice Curtis digital hourmeter on it, 38hrs so far.

I've had a few ag applications over the years with difficult to source filters. I feel your pain as it just shouldn't be, with this size company. I remember when Kubota recommended in their manuals NOT to use CJ oil in their diesels and all the clamor about this.

Maybe try tractorbynet. There are some knowledgeable guys there that might have a lead.

Be careful about the fuel filter. I always remember the CAT excavator I saw tore apart at a service dealer - they installed the wrong fuel filter and it ruined the injector pump, etc..

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I've had a few ag applications over the years with difficult to source filters. I feel your pain as it just shouldn't be, with this size company. I remember when Kubota recommended in their manuals NOT to use CJ oil in their diesels and all the clamor about this.

Maybe try tractorbynet. There are some knowledgeable guys there that might have a lead.

Be careful about the fuel filter. I always remember the CAT excavator I saw tore apart at a service dealer - they installed the wrong fuel filter and it ruined the injector pump, etc..

Good luck.
I think kubota made a big deal about cj4 oils because there was a chance that it might be used in conjunction with higher sulphur fuels. It's all ULSD now, so I guess they realized it's no big deal anymore. I was leary about going with a 5w40 in warranty, until I found an out in the factory manual allowing it-it's hidden in the troubleshooting section. I AM being careful with the fuel filters. If I modify anything, I'll just replace the whole factory assembly with an airdog or FASS unit. That should provide more than enough protection for the injection pump.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I assume you tried this site:

http://www.kubotaengine.com/distributor/generator.html

I use Total Energy Systems out of Grand Rapids for my Kohler genset and they have been good ferreting out obscure parts. They are also a Kubota generator distributor:

Miquel - Service Manager, Jared - Parts Mgr. Both excellent.

http://www.totalenergysystems.com/products/kubota.aspx

http://www.totalenergysystems.com/products/kubota/kubota_gl.aspx
Thanks, didn't know about Total Energy but they look promising. I'll be giving them a call monday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back