Krown rust proofing opinions wanted

I bought a brand new car about a month ago. I usually only keep cars a short time so I just keep them clean and waxed but this one I may keep much longer. I never had one rust proofed and I was thinkin of takin it in this week.
mom surrounded by ziebart but after a lot of research it doesn’t sound that great. I stumbled on Krown and I have a place not to far away and the price is good too. Have to go once a year but if it works not bad. I refuse to drive a rust bucket and take good care of stuff.
Does anyone have an opinion or better yet have you had any cars done with it?

I haven’t used it personally, but I’ve used fluid film for several years (and I guess they are similar). It works. You’ll have to have it reapplied every year because it will wash away, especially in the high traffic areas of the frame, but it does a good job at what it’s supposed to do and it stays “wet”, therefore you won’t get any moisture stuck underneath it like a ziebart (where the rust will be allowed to just grow and grow).

After you get it applied, take the car on a drive down a dusty dirt road - it sticks to the undercoating and adds a little reinforcement to it. And if you get the treatment every year, you tend to layer the various applications and build a nice barrier up.

Oh, and on those high traffic areas - where the stuff will wash off - I usually put something a little heavier on those particular spots. I use white lithium grease...it sticks and it doesn’t wash away.

OP - Do a search on here (top, right corner of screen) for oil undercoating / there will be alot of previous posts.

40 years ago, Ziebart used TAR for undercoating.
Years latter, the TAR dried and moisture got under it and caused severe rusting.
Ziebart got a bad reputation because of it.
But, does Ziebart STILL USE TAR ?
I thought they switched to a more WAXY material.

I've always used an OILY spray (Fluid Film and others) and have no rust on my vehicle.

For high wash areas, I'd suggest Cosmoline.

Reactions: JC1
My 2003 Ram couple years back when I sold it.
Oil Works!

Attachments

• 108_2148.JPG
    108_2148.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 222
Keown is good. Application is only as good as the people applying the product. You'll have to check of they missed spots or reinstalling of plugs etc.

With krown it's going to drip all over your driveway for a few days. There are some newer ones like NH oil undercoatings, that I'd probably go with instead if you can.

I personally switched to fluid film and I DIY every fall. I take my time and remove wheel well liners and spray every nook and cranny. I'm not trying to rush through the job since it's my vehicle.

I used krown and rust check before and they missed spots many times. What does that mean for them??? More profits since they use less product. I don't want to discourage you, just want you to know what could possibly happen.

Let's face it most people aren't going to look that closely for missed spots unless it's obvious.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
I use Krown annually on my 2 vehicles.
Can be a bit messy after application but not a big deal imo.
The product will creep over the winter (a good thing) and you will need to remove it from painted panels, door edges, trunk edges.
I use WD-40 to dissolve the Krown, disposable paper towels, and follow with a wash to remove the WD-40.

I ordered a case of Krown in shaker cans from Amazon and touch up areas every fall. I’m not necessarily convinced Krown is a the absolute best but I found the price was reasonable and every time I checked it was still there.

mco30mco,

I'm in mid-Michigan near Moo U. My car is due for it's annual application in it's 8th. year. I started at Windsor, then switched to Monroe when they opened up. There's a new one closer in Flint that I am contemplating. The stuff is very thin and it "seems" to wash off the high wash areas. * The company claims there is still a microscopic coating on there. After a few years, it seems to have a more built up coating on the undercarriage. Some claim that it swells some door seals, etc.. I make sure to treat my seals with silicone before the Krown application and I have had no problems. It does make the engine bay and undercarriage a bit messy - the cost of trying to avoid rust. I get a free can of product each year and touch up the underside in late fall. Check for $10 off coupons and other deals.

I have no rust, much better than my previous Caravans at this age that had rocker panel and other pinch weld rust. In my opinion, it is the rust inside doors and other interior seams that is the worst problem. It gives me piece of mind and is one of my discretionary expenses I don't mind.

I am satisfied with it to date. There is Corrosion Free in Ann Arbor. There are also applicators for NH oil and Noxodul in lower Michigan.

* Regarding the thinness - I wonder if the company is correct and a microscopic layer exists after a period of time. This might be counterintuitive to people's perceptions here that thicker is better due to the visual confirmation of a coating.

Last edited:
I like known. I’ve gotten vehicles done with known when I’ve had to go up to Canada. I’ve done some DIY since then, less the holes drilled. That is the one downside of a known type treatment... the holes.

What kind of a car, how diy focused are you, do you have any desire to diy?

There are many options you could counter to krown in the USA, such as woolwax, fluid film, nh oil, waxoyl, etc.

I’d look for appliers of each. NH oil is interesting to me.

mco30mco,

I'm in mid-Michigan near Moo U. My car is due for it's annual application in it's 8th. year. I started at Windsor, then switched to Monroe when they opened up. There's a new one closer in Flint that I am contemplating. The stuff is very thin and it "seems" to wash off the high wash areas. * The company claims there is still a microscopic coating on there. After a few years, it seems to have a more built up coating on the undercarriage. Some claim that it swells some door seals, etc.. I make sure to treat my seals with silicone before the Krown application and I have had no problems. It does make the engine bay and undercarriage a bit messy - the cost of trying to avoid rust. I get a free can of product each year and touch up the underside in late fall. Check for $10 off coupons and other deals.

I have no rust, much better than my previous Caravans at this age that had rocker panel and other pinch weld rust. In my opinion, it is the rust inside doors and other interior seams that is the worst problem. It gives me piece of mind and is one of my discretionary expenses I don't mind.

I am satisfied with it to date. There is Corrosion Free in Ann Arbor. There are also applicators for NH oil and Noxodul in lower Michigan.

* Regarding the thinness - I wonder if the company is correct and a microscopic layer exists after a period of time. This might be counterintuitive to people's perceptions here that thicker is better due to the visual confirmation of a coating.
I had it done today at krown Rochester hills. Looks like they did a good a job. A little nervous about the holes drilled but they have been doing it that way for years. Ii called the corrosion free in Ann Arbor and the guy said they don’t do it anymore. Prolly new owner. I was more comfortable with krown since they are actually certified and trained with a database for each car to follow rather than an oil change place with a guy spraying or not spraying what he should.
time will tell. My first time having vehicle done

There was only one Krown in Michigan about 5 years ago. Now there are about a dozen! I have had zero issues with the drilled holes.

Yes I used them on my old Mazda 3 which are known for rust, but after about 5 years I DIYed.

My advice, take off all wheel well liners and other plastics that are covering parts of the vehicle you want treated. Otherwise they will spray oil on top of plastics and I never saw them trying to spray what’s behind.

The only thing that I finally found to work for me was to move from WI to NC!😂
Seriously, I got so disgusted by spending a pile of money on a vehicle, then laboring to maintain it and care for it, only to have it rot away from underneath you.

OP - Do a search on here (top, right corner of screen) for oil undercoating / there will be alot of previous posts.

40 years ago, Ziebart used TAR for undercoating.
Years latter, the TAR dried and moisture got under it and caused severe rusting.
Ziebart got a bad reputation because of it.
But, does Ziebart STILL USE TAR ?
I thought they switched to a more WAXY material.

I've always used an OILY spray (Fluid Film and others) and have no rust on my vehicle.

For high wash areas, I'd suggest Cosmoline.
I used Ziebart in late 1987 when I bought my 88 E-150 new. It is still rust free being in the NY rust belt for well over 30 years now. They might have had problems, but I didn't.

Here is a realistic shot of a section of frame on a Chevy truck touched up with Krown on a frame that was already rusted. To the upper right is the plastic fender liner. I did not spray the sway bar. To the left is the tire. It was exposed to plenty of snow and road salt. In the spring I’ll try clean off the grime at the car wash and touch it up again. You can purchase a box of spray cans on Amazon. Enjoy.

0CE3ECEE-57A7-40E8-BD75-342FFE0D4C4F.jpeg

I've had it done to my pickup for the last 10 years.
It does do the job well. Only negative is that it is messy as heck.
The only rust on the truck are places that it is impossible to get the Krown in.
I ended up with on place on the rockers toward the rear on the cab on the rocker panel where I had them drill it externally and shoot it.
Knocked the rust dead. It really makes a different.
My Mustang is Ziebarted. I will never have that done to a vehicle again.

I have been using it every two years on my 2005 Civic. There is no rust whatsoever on it. That being said I have not have it applied to my 2021 Kia K5. I think vehicle manufacturers have come along way in rust proofing

Don't have any experience with Krown but if I was starting with a new rust free vehicles I would use one of the wax /cosmoline based undercoatings.

Back