Kreen in 3.0L Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody needs to teach me how to understand the engine noise. I just do not hear anything which is indicating eminent death of the engine. It is not as quiet as it should for a V6 at say 700 rpm but I am not even sure if it idling that low in the video.

I have heard lot worse in a typical Walmart parking lot and the hoods are closed!

- Vikas

when hood is closed, it's really hard to hear it when it's warm. There is some belts noise, only sound that may not be good is a clock ticking sound. I think my dad's new Mini idles louder due chain, it all depends to what to compare.

when hood is closed, it's really hard to hear it when it's warm. There is some belts noise, only sound that may not be good is a clock ticking sound. I think my dad's new Mini idles louder due chain, it all depends to what to compare.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator

Are you sure you aren't hearing the Fuel Injectors ticking? I had a friend drive me nuts with a "ticking sound" he thought was a lifter. I listened and explained it was his injectors ticking. He was already to do flushes, valve adjustments, and a ton of other work for something that was a normal engine sound.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
Originally Posted By: steve20
forgot to add- I would not let my father take this car to the local Quick Mart, let alone DC

I will change oil before the trip myself. I actually never let anybody touch this car, except O2 sensor change.
And yes it's more experimental DD car, I will not spend loads of money into ring job or whatever. Plus I might take over Mini Cooper S conv with stick next year from my Father, he doesn't want to pay 600$ a month anymore, and will loose 5000-10000 if he sales it back.Even doug it is less than 5k miles on odo and it has some accessories.
Toyota will thay as winter/travel beater

sounds like the best idea yet--Toyo as the beater/entertainment value car for the winter, and the Mini as the usual daily driver

pulling the easy valve cover off, will give you a pretty good idea of what you are up against in the rest of the engine. It may be a matter of pulling the valve cover taking a few pics and closing it right back up again cause it's too far gone,--- or not
Good Luck with it, whichever road you take

maybe clock ticking is good, not sure, but I'm sure it is gone if rpms go higher than 1000. Idle is from 700 to 875 or something close to it. When it's in higher range, there is almoust no vibration in the steering wheel, or none at all. Computer tries to control it, and I can actually see and feel when it drops, it goes up and stays for a while, than may drop and stay, may stay in upper range. It's random for most time. But there is big improvment in idle, since I started my experiments. Btw today at 6pm there was no smoke on start up, hope it will stay like that. Will see if it will be same at 7am.

If you are serious about finding where the noise is coming from, buy the $3.00 mechanics stethoscope from your favorite China Freight store. You will know if your injectors are making the noise.

Your RPM fluctuating indicate IACV issues. Cleaning throttle body or at least spraying TB cleaner would be the first order of attack.

Getting back to the videos posted here, how many of you are hearing the death rattle? I don't at all.

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Getting back to the videos posted here, how many of you are hearing the death rattle? I don't at all. - Vikas

I don't either. The noises sound to me like they are external to the engine. Possibly the P/S pump or another accessory.

So why is OP so scared? Are we scaring him or is that completely self-induced?

Seriously, I am trying to understand the real problem here. Why "No bottle is going fix worn engine" was offered to OP?

Don't worry, be happy would be my advise to him :)

- Vikas

So why is OP so scared? Are we scaring him or is that completely self-induced?

Seriously, I am trying to understand the real problem here. Why "No bottle is going fix worn engine" was offered to OP?

Don't worry, be happy would be my advise to him :)

- Vikas

+1

Your RPM fluctuating indicate IACV issues. Cleaning throttle body or at least spraying TB cleaner would be the first order of attack.

- Vikas

Throttle body was the first thing I cleaned. Than cleaned it not so long ago with power foam. First time used throttle/carb cleaner and old toothbrush.
Smoke was back in the morning
frown.gif

Hold on a second; your smoke in the morning has *nothing* to do with the IACV. Also IACV is attached to the throttle body but it is not the throttle body and you need to clean the both.

Let us take this slowly. What are the problems that you are trying to solve? Please correct my list.

- possible sludge (but you do not really know that)
- idle sometimes drops too low
- (what color?) smoke on start up
- ticking sound (I don't think it is from the engine)
- oil consumption? (how much)

Give us something to go on.

- Vikas

1.sludge, yes, I'm not 100% sure. But I was not able to measure oil level, and got some out from PCV chamber(thru PCV valve hole), it's all before ARX and MMO. Found some sludge looking stuff on recently changed spark plug(s). You can see all those pictures in auto-rx in 3L camry topic.
I got some little crud particles, from same spot, before Kreen.
2.Idle drop, I think it is more due old fuel pump. I noticed that it does it more, when tank is more close to empty,and hills.
3. Smoke is white/gray. Not coolant,no visual sings of coolant in oil,or seet smell. Level through all that time dropped just a little.
4. Oil comsuption in the begging was aroun 1q in 250 miles. Now around 1q in 1k miles(but it was 40w oil)

If the consumption stays at 1q per 250 miles with the recommended viscosity and you already ruled out blocked PCV system, then I am afraid there is not much that can be done. You can hope that Kree will free the oil control rings. One would think that the back of your car would be all black and oily with that kind of oil consumption.

- Vikas

that what i'm hoping for. That kreen will free up rings. And yes I had little of black dust around my pipe, when I had no time to wash a car for 2 months.

that what i'm hoping for. That kreen will free up rings. And yes I had little of black dust around my pipe, when I had no time to wash a car for 2 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back