Kreen experiment: '05 Mercury Mariner w/ oil consumption issue.

Originally Posted by Trav
Time to do a leak down test, I would suspect its more about worn rings. Nothing in a can is fixing that.

I hear you, but with no intention of doing a rebuild on the engine there's little point in a leakdown test other than curiosity. Might do the front 3 cylinders as they're accessible without removing the intake manifold.

Not saying this is you but a lot of times the cleaning product, in this case Kreen, gets the blame for not solving the problem. When in reality the rings are just shot/severely gunked up and nothing short of pulling them will help. But it's worth a try to keep that old engine on the road a little bit longer..

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Not saying this is you but a lot of times the cleaning product, in this case Kreen, gets the blame for not solving the problem. When in reality the rings are just shot/severely gunked up and nothing short of pulling them will help. But it's worth a try to keep that old engine on the road a little bit longer..

Bingo. Unfortunately as a result of collateral damage even good products get dubbed "snake oil" as a result when it isn't the case at all.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Not saying this is you but a lot of times the cleaning product, in this case Kreen, gets the blame for not solving the problem.

No Kreen bashing to be had here...it's a 200K mile engine that has been maintained well since new, not a sludged-up beater where Kreen would likely have been more applicable.

Update: while stuck at home due to the germs, I replaced the front valve cover gasket which was a significant leak source. The factory gasket and spark plug tube seals were hardened from age and came out in pieces. Lots of cleaning the sealing surfaces, new Fel-Pro gasket & seals installed, bolts torqued to spec in proper sequence, no further leakage. I'll do the rear valve cover next weekend if time permits, it appears to have a slight leak at the passenger side aft section.

I should have taken a pic of the under-valve-cover area as it was in terrific condition, no sludge and only minor varnish discoloration on the head & valvetrain, some sludge on the underside of the valve cover.

Valvetrain is nice and quiet with Valvoline MaxLife syn blend, thanks guys for the recommendation. Never thought I'd find oil that quieted the #6 exhaust valve tick better than Pennzoil, but this is now my go-to oil for this engine.

Originally Posted by crainholio
Update: MaxLife 5W-20 went in at 200,826 miles. It's now at 202,557 miles (1731 miles) and has lost ~1/3 quart of oil as measured on the dipstick. Oil level was ~1mm above the ADD mark when I checked. 1/3 of a quart bottle brought it back to halfway between ADD and FULL, where I put it during the oil change refill.

Initial impressions are that the Kreen in the prior oil fill, and the new PCV and hose, had no effect on the engine's oil consumption.

I'm playing the long game here and will continue to monitor, it's an entertaining experiment. I'll use the other 16oz of Kreen toward the end of this OCI and see what happens.

Time to do a leak down test, I would suspect its more about worn rings. Nothing in a can is fixing that.
What do compression rings have to do with oil control rings?

Look at the context. At 200K and the Kreen did not help with oil control doing a leak down test would either confirm the compression and wiper ring were in serviceable condition or worn.
Worn rings can draw oil from the cylinder walls into the combustion chamber, chances are the oil control rings are worn also.

If the leak down is acceptable then the oil control rings are possibly sticking, valve guides/stem seals or PCV issues sometimes the sticking ring condition can be relieved with a solvent other times not as in the case of some engines that have a design issue with the piston ring grooves.
You cannot look at piston rings as individuals only, one will have an effect on the others on the same piston in some way.

I wouldn't discount that oil pan leak. In my experience with the Vulcan it can leak while running but not "look" like it's leaking sitting still. If it's leaking right at the crank seal (or pan below the crank) the oil will drip on the exhaust and burn off and if you're moving you won't smell it.

Update: in the 4 days of commuting (~80 miles) since adding Kreen, the oil on the dipstick went from dark brown and translucent to black and opaque. Surprising given the maintenance and use of synthetic oils. Maybe not surprising given the short commute.

Piston soak suggestion is appreciated, but that will be after the next OCI. Accessing the rear spark plugs involves removing the intake manifold and that will wait until warmer temps. For now I'll let the Kreen do it's thing in the crankcase, then change to Valvoline MaxLife synth blend red bottle and monitor oil consumption. 2nd dose of Kreen near the end of that OCI if needed.

If oil consumption continues to be a problem, it'll be Spring by then and better conditions to disassemble the intake manifold.
2 kreen treatments in my 07 Accord last year. Went from 1800 per qt of use, to virtually nothing. Same regimen as you. 16 oz per use.

I did go for a very aggressive drive, and bounced it off the redline twice.

Back