Kohler oil filter new design?

Was just in my local tractor supply and was getting oil and a filter for the upcoming mower season. I have always used the kohler 5205002s filter that have been the champ labs e-core design ever since I can remember. Well they changed it seems, they have the traditional steel tube in them now. Same part number and color just isn’t an ecore. Has anyone else seen these in their stores yet?

Was just in my local tractor supply and was getting oil and a filter for the upcoming mower season. I have always used the kohler 5205002s filter that have been the champ labs e-core design ever since I can remember. Well they changed it seems, they have the traditional steel tube in them now. Same part number and color just isn’t an ecore. Has anyone else seen these in their stores yet?
Dare I ask what the price is of this Oil Filter?

Dare I ask what the price is of this Oil Filter?
It ain’t cheap. $20 the old ones were around $12ish. Good thing I have one for this year already I bought in the fall. I was going to buy another one as I like to have a spare laying around the shop as a just in case item. For that price idk may find another brand

It ain’t cheap. $20 the old ones were around $12ish. Good thing I have one for this year already I bought in the fall. I was going to buy another one as I like to have a spare laying around the shop as a just in case item. For that price idk may find another brand

If this is the Oil Filter you want, there are cheaper prices online.

The Kohler E-Core filters were made by Champion Labs. They were the same filter as the Super Tech ST3614 or STP S3614. I’m running the Super Tech MP3614. All of these are cheaper than the Kohler filter. Now that for my Kohler ZT740 engine.

The Kohler E-Core filters were made by Champion Labs. They were the same filter as the Super Tech ST3614 or STP S3614. I’m running the Super Tech MP3614. All of these are cheaper than the Kohler filter. Now that for my Kohler ZT740 engine.
They're the same construction but the Kohler filter is stubbier, in some applications you do get stuck buying the OPE specific filter because they put the engine in the machine in such a way that using the slightly taller 3614 equivalent won't work.

They're the same construction but the Kohler filter is stubbier, in some applications you do get stuck buying the OPE specific filter because they put the engine in the machine in such a way that using the slightly taller 3614 equivalent won't work.
Right. You will have to use the shorter version, if the clearance is too tight.

You can use a PH4967 or one that will cross to it. It has the same thread pitch as a 3614 but it is smaller and closer to the size of the Kohler filter.
The only thing I don't like about that is the gasket is smaller and that leaves the adapter plate subject to debris that may abrase or corrode the surface outside the smaller gasket that may hinder the correct size filter from sealing properly if you use it again in the future.

The only thing I don't like about that is the gasket is smaller and that leaves the adapter plate subject to debris that may abrase or corrode the surface outside the smaller gasket that may hinder the correct size filter from sealing properly if you use it again in the future.
Try a PH7575 then it is the same but the baseplate is a little thicker.

Try a PH7575 then it is the same but the baseplate is a little thicker.
That's pretty much the same size as the 3614, What you'd want is the PH8170 or PH8172 they're the same size as the kohler filter the 72 is 3/10 of an inch taller but pretty much the same, at least they're only like $8-10 depending on where you can get one vs nearly $20 for the OE Kohler.

That's pretty much the same size as the 3614, What you'd want is the PH8170 or PH8172 they're the same size as the kohler filter the 72 is 3/10 of an inch taller but pretty much the same, at least they're only like $8-10 depending on where you can get one vs nearly $20 for the OE Kohler.
Yep, or AC Delco PF2210. Sometimes you can find them cheaper than the PH8170.

I would add that Kohler Courage Engines (at least the single cylinder ones) are not splash lubed. They have a vertically mounted oil filter. You have to prefill the oil filter just like it says in the manual. They have a tiny oil pump, and take too long to fill the filter, a bigger filter will make that worse. To long to run without oil pressure. Side filters are different, this only applies to the vertical filters.

Rod

more price gouging!!girlfriends cub cadet uses a KH-12-050-01-S now about $15 BUT a search found generics for much less. bought several + they are at her house slip is somewhere! in my drawer so cant post the # at this time. used one + end of season change fits + dont leak!!

Are these the same as a JD AM125424? I looked up and found it cross referenced to a PH8170 and Kohler 12-050-1s but the JD and Kohler do not have an adbv. Was concerned the adbv may cause an issue as it installs upsidedown on the motor, maybe oil pump is not strong enough idk. I just bought this riding mower and first one I have had that uses one. JD at Lowes was $20, online is cheaper but wanted one yesterday so I paid the extra.
Edit: maybe stronger bypass psi since made for vehicles could cause an issue. Just wondering, probably overthinking it.

Last edited:
Just changed on a 5400 Series - plenty room for my Fram XG3614

Last edited:
Are these the same as a JD AM125424? I looked up and found it cross referenced to a PH8170 and Kohler 12-050-1s but the JD and Kohler do not have an adbv. Was concerned the adbv may cause an issue as it installs upsidedown on the motor, maybe oil pump is not strong enough idk. I just bought this riding mower and first one I have had that uses one. JD at Lowes was $20, online is cheaper but wanted one yesterday so I paid the extra.
Edit: maybe stronger bypass psi since made for vehicles could cause an issue. Just wondering, probably overthinking it.
My 22hp Kohler Cub Cadet sounded better using the OE shorter filter than any assorted 3614 I threw on it... possible explanation. Manual stated letting oil absorb into filter for a certain time and prefilled with fresh oil before install. Maybe a reason to actually spend the extra money 🤔

Reactions: wlk
Back