Kirkland's Signature vs Super Tech...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
If you base your oil decision on his tests alone, nothing whatsoever is going to blow up as he only tests API certified oils.

That's a good point. 👠I don't have a problem with him or his videos. He seems like a decent, down to earth kind of guy and doesn't exactly conjure up images of the traveling snake oil salesmen..at least to me he doesn't. Good on him for finding a creative way to make some extra coin and support his family. He's not hurting anyone so far as I can tell..

Last edited:
If you call Warren Distributing and ask them...they will speak to you...they will tell you Kirkland, Supertech and Amazon are the same oil. He could have simply called them instead of testing.

Any variation in test results is because each batch of oil varies in specs. Even though it might say for example viscosity 11@100C it might be 10.75 and thats because each batch is a little different and its not possible to make identical batches.

Last edited:
Ken on PF spends an enormous amount of HIS time to bring to light on product performances and not just oil. He did a great vid on drill bits and blades. He's very creative and takes ZERO sponsorship. Everything he does is on HIS dime. His tests don't have to be super scientific. He's giving a much better than average idea how things work. Would any of us do what he does? I doubt that. I give the man big props.

He does the same thing to both products in a controlled environment using the scientific method. The results were nearly identical for both oils which is accurate since they're the same oil. If the results would have been different, then one could assert that the data was skewed. Since it wasn"t, I say the test is legitimate.

Originally Posted by heynow
Originally Posted by kschachn
Factual, meaning tests that accurately represent the conditions in an ICE and give (factual) and relevant results. This does neither, since the wear scar test does not apply to any process or mechanism in an ICE nor is it applicable to a finished motor oil.
I think you mean 'applicable' when you say 'factual'. His tests are 100% factual.
Does the Noack volatility test represent conditions inside an ICE?
Does the four ball wear scar test represent conditions inside an ICE?

This is not ASTM D5800.

This is not ASTM D4172.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
He does the same thing to both products in a controlled environment using the scientific method. The results were nearly identical for both oils which is accurate since they're the same oil. If the results would have been different, then one could assert that the data was skewed. Since it wasn"t, I say the test is legitimate.

He has no experimental controls whatsoever, he knows nothing about sample size, repeatability nor reproducibility and does no proper statistical analysis of the results.

It is so uncontrolled and so far below legitimate that it should be laughable to anyone who knows anything about testing.

But again if it is merely entertainment as everyone seems to be saying then laughable is a good attribute I guess.

Originally Posted by shrooms
Ken on PF spends an enormous amount of HIS time to bring to light on product performances and not just oil. He did a great vid on drill bits and blades. He's very creative and takes ZERO sponsorship. Everything he does is on HIS dime. His tests don't have to be super scientific. He's giving a much better than average idea how things work. Would any of us do what he does? I doubt that. I give the man big props.

He should stick to knife blades and drill bits because motor oil testing is clearly out of his knowledge base.

And this is on his dime sure. But take a guess as to his monthly YouTube revenue. It has been discussed here in the past.

Originally Posted by Navi
Any variation in test results is because each batch of oil varies in specs. Even though it might say for example viscosity 11@100C it might be 10.75 and thats because each batch is a little different and its not possible to make identical batches.

His "tests" are completely incapable of discriminating batch variation. That's not the reason.

I think that you missed the point of his video. He was trying to demonstrate with his own heating and freezing methods, sent off lab analysis, and shearing strength of the oils, that these two oils are virtually the same, but the price is very different.
Also, he was trying to demonstrate that Kirkland oil is safe for your vehicle. After the Dollar General Store oil nightmare, is it very relevant whether or not bottom priced oils are safe for our vehicles.
Many people will watch an entertaining YouTube video and not read endless pages of oil data analysis on this website.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
How will you conduct the tests on your upcoming YouTube special?

I will have no YouTube tests on motor oil. The reason being is that I am incapable of making a quality distinction between oils that is more relevant and meaningful than the already existing tests that result in approvals, specifications and licenses. That of course is the real problem here, can anyone make a cogent and technical argument that any of the stuff in that video is actually able to determine that one dexos 1 Gen 2 is somehow superior over another with the same license? How about that one API SN PLUS oil is better than another?

Originally Posted by ddhmax1973
I think that you missed the point of his video. He was trying to demonstrate with his own heating and freezing methods, sent off lab analysis, and shearing strength of the oils, that these two oils are virtually the same, but the price is very different.
Also, he was trying to demonstrate that Kirkland oil is safe for your vehicle. After the Dollar General Store oil nightmare, is it very relevant whether or not bottom priced oils are safe for our vehicles.
Many people will watch an entertaining YouTube video and not read endless pages of oil data analysis on this website.

Of course it is. It carries a dexos 1 Gen 2, ILSAC GF-5 and an API SN PLUS license.

Dollar store oils that carry the same licenses or specifications are similarly included. No goofy YouTube tests are necessary nor are they relevant.

Project Farm is just fine in my book. His videos are very entertaining and are easy to follow for the average viewer. 1 million subscribers for a guy testing products out of his garage is nothing to laugh at. Sure PF pays for it out of his pocket with earning from YouTube and cheers to him for it. Just another person successfully making a living while entertaining millions of people.
cheers3.gif

He wouldn't have a million subscribers, if entertainment was the reason.
I don't find him entertaining-enough to subscribe to. I find him informative enough to subscribe to.

Your point is well taken.
I'm just trying to point out that people would rather watch a video than read oil data, like watch a movie instead of reading the book.
I'm pretty sure most people don't even look at all the numbers on a bottle of oil. They wouldn't have a clue what API, SN+, or even what 5W30 actually means. They will just purchase whatever is the cheapest or what oils that their parents used when they were kids.
So if Project Farm could be to some service for the Average Joe, then I think it's all fine.

Well he didnt need to do all those tests to prove they are the same...simple call or email.

It's quite obvious that they are not the same formulation, if you look at the Blackstone results....Warren blends numerous oil formulations.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
I love how he's doing a blackstone VOA and UOA for every new oil video. Kudos to him simply for that alone. His video's are fine. Good entertainment and good info. If you base your oil decision on his tests alone, nothing whatsoever is going to blow up as he only tests API certified oils.

I AGREE

I agree many people are visual/audio learners. They like to watch a video not read an article. They want things demonstrated and explained in a visual/audio manner.

I am glad there are people who take the time to make these videos and share them to teach people things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back