Kindle electronic books=gas grill=fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like reading at night before going to bed(currently reading, "Michael Crichton: State of Fear". I tried out the Kindle E-reader and I just hate it. It's just not the same. Kind of like the flavor of steak on a traditional charcoal and wood-powered Weber grill and a steak on a propane gas grill.

Reading is something you feel as well: the lightweight paper, black ink, no need for electricity to power, no need to worry about anything breaking down, it'll never go out of style etc etc..

Books, like traditional Classical music, are one of those rare things you shouldn't change. Don't you guys hate to see an American classic car like the 1970's Dodge Challenger with 25 inch rims and a stupid paint job or transformed into a stupid low-rider?

When I was in college, there was one class where we used computer software in lieu of traditional text books. It was a major failure and people complained. The next semester, they returned to traditional textbooks.

This world is going out of control.

Kindle=Dumbest invention ever

Last edited:
Oh, I dont know. I read a lot of books on my phone that would never normally see the light of day. Never get published, just sit in someones head as an idea. Does not mean they are bad (and I have read quite a few bad ones) but they are worth it for the few golden ones that can occasionally be found. Im talking about stuff written by amateur authors. Why, Im working on one right now that is longer than LoTR. It wouldnt get published as an actual book. Couldnt get. Impossible. It references too many copyrighted works too deeply.
Could read it on my computer, but thats a bit difficult to take to bed so throw it on my phone in PDF form and BAM! Reading a book.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Oh, I dont know. I read a lot of books on my phone that would never normally see the light of day. Never get published, just sit in someones head as an idea. Does not mean they are bad (and I have read quite a few bad ones) but they are worth it for the few golden ones that can occasionally be found. Im talking about stuff written by amateur authors. Why, Im working on one right now that is longer than LoTR. It wouldnt get published as an actual book. Couldnt get. Impossible. It references too many copyrighted works too deeply.
Could read it on my computer, but thats a bit difficult to take to bed so throw it on my phone in PDF form and BAM! Reading a book.

You've got a really good point about amateur authors. I'm writing a book myself and I know it's hard to get a publishers' approval. I've never thought of that, thanks.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
You've got a really good point about amateur authors. I'm writing a book myself and I know it's hard to get a publishers' approval. I've never thought of that, thanks.

I'm sure that such technology is great for amateur authors or those with fairly narrow audiences, or for those books that have gone public domain years ago. Aside from that, I'm not happy with the technology, either.

I'm sure universities are going to have a huge issue with this kind of thing. Bookstores (and libraries) take up huge amounts of space and require a lot of work. However, I'm sure those people involved in selling books would be glad to save money from switching to e-books, without forgoing any of the revenue, of course.

Then there is the issue of cheating. There are often university courses that allow textbooks into the exams. E-readers, especially as they evolve, could bring about the same issues that graphing calculators bring to math tests - cheating. Or cell phones to any exam.

Old-Man-Yells-At-Cloud-the-simpsons-7414384-265-199.gif

I'm sure someone in the scribe's guild said the same thing when Gutenberg came up with moveable type. Or when they moved from papyrus to parchment.

But, just to frame myself the right way to your argument, I prefer the convenience of my gas grill over charcoal any day. Grilling out more often gets me 98% of the enjoyment of grilling over hardwood charcoal at 2% of the effort.

What do I care how people are reading as long as they are reading?

The phasing out of actual books is concerning. E-readers like Kindle are a good tool but I don't think they should replace that which cannot be modified easily.

I think both have their place, and it depends on your preference.

I will never own an e-book reader, I much prefer the look, feel, smell and experience of a real book, either paperback or hardcover. I also like keeping our books in a bookcase-I have a couple hundred in my office and we have about that many again in the bookcases in the family room. Both my wife and I enjoy used book shopping and it's surprising the bargains that can be picked up. There's nothing better than spending a cold winters afternoon with a good book, and there's a satisfaction there that a device such as a Kindle could never capture.

That being said, everyone has their own preferences, and as scurvy so wisely stated, "What do I care how people are reading as long as they are reading?"

hankhillgrill.jpg

Taste the meat, not the heat. - Hank Hill

crackmeup2.gif

Nahh, my wife and I have had this discussion.

I'm pro-Kindle. She is staunchly anti-Kindle.

I like the idea that when I finish a book, I can download the another book from that series. Like I just finished World War Z and I have to deal with the teaser page of other books in that series until I get up and order one.

My wife loves real books. Likes the anticipation of getting a new hardcover in the mail. Likes the smell of a book store. Likes having the actual hardcover book in her possession so that she can put it in a place of prominence or share it with a friend when it really moves her.

I generally agree with reading real books but my wife downloaded a book for me on my laptop about test pilot Glenn Edwards. It's based on his diaries. He makes references to obscure experimental planes he tested and there are only a few photos of the planes he flew and just a little about their history . In a couple clicks i can search Google or Wikipedia, view the planes with their history get back to the story and never take my eyes off the screen. Pretty cool.

After eight years of university, there's no doubt in my mind that being able to get all the textbooks on or before the first day of class without having to make multiple trips to the bookstore would be a huge win. Sometimes a class of hundreds ended up sharing a few old textbook copies until the middle of October as we waited for the shipment of new copies that was supposed to come by September 1 but didn't.

Last edited:
I was given a Kindle for my birthday awhile back. While I was definitely skeptical, I really don't find much of a difference in e-ink vs. reading a book outside of having a % complete bar vs. page numbers. Plus, the kindle is way easier on my neck and easier to hold in bed.

I used to look at my bookshelves with pride, like the old books were trophies or something. After several moves, most of my books are either boxed up or given away.

While it will never replace my antique books or reference materials, 99% of my reading is paperbacks of historical fiction and science fiction, which is well suited for e-ink replacement.

I've found myself reading more paperbacks versus books on my Kindle. It is nice to be able to get a lot of the classics for free in only seconds on my Kindle. Downside though is sometimes sentences and even paragraphs are lost in the conversion to e-book.

I like reading at night before going to bed(currently reading, "Michael Crichton: State of Fear". I tried out the Kindle E-reader and I just hate it. It's just not the same. Kind of like the flavor of steak on a traditional charcoal and wood-powered Weber grill and a steak on a propane gas grill.

In some ways, I agree. I love the feel of a real book in my hand.

On the other hand, I forced myself to start reading books on my iPhone (iBook and Nook apps), and that has its place, too. I travel a lot and 15 books on my phone is a lot easier to pack in my carry-on than 1 book in my computer bag! Plus when I finish a book late at night and want to start the sequel because I can't fall asleep, I can buy it in 3 seconds.

TOTALLY agree on grills (charcoal is way better than gas), and totally agree on your current book choice- Chrichton was a very good author and died way, way too young. His voice is profoundly missed in public debate of scientific issues.

Originally Posted By: jaj
After eight years of university, there's no doubt in my mind that being able to get all the textbooks on or before the first day of class without having to make multiple trips to the bookstore would be a huge win. Sometimes a class of hundreds ended up sharing a few old textbook copies until the middle of October as we waited for the shipment of new copies that was supposed to come by September 1 but didn't.

I've never have problem with paper based textbook availability, the professor's own writing to be print is another story.

My main problem with ebook is that you cannot resell it when you are done or buy used, and when you switch reader, it would be a problem.

All the money saved is in the publishing and inventories, eliminating used and foreign competitions, local book stores, etc. There is nothing saved for the students other than the weight.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: jaj

I've never have problem with paper based textbook availability, the professor's own writing to be print is another story.

My main problem with ebook is that you cannot resell it when you are done or buy used, and when you switch reader, it would be a problem.

All the money saved is in the publishing and inventories, eliminating used and foreign competitions, local book stores, etc. There is nothing saved for the students other than the weight.

You can resell it if you're willing to do a small bit of work and spend about $30 which you should more than make up for in reselling the ebooks. There are conversion programs availalbe for a variety of formats that will strip the DRM from EPub (Adobe) and other formats and generate a PDF file. Then resell the PDF.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I think both have their place, and it depends on your preference.

I will never own an e-book reader, I much prefer the look, feel, smell and experience of a real book,

you go around smelling books?

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
hankhillgrill.jpg

Taste the meat, not the heat. - Hank Hill

crackmeup2.gif

charcoal is better but not THAT much better. it isn't worth the time or bother except for special occasions. marinating is more important

Kindle=Dumbest invention ever

that might be one of the dumbest statements ever.
Just because YOU don't like it (or just becauseit doesn't suit YOU), doesn't mean that it's a dumb invention.

I know a lot of very smart people who use and love their Kindles. I am sure they're also pretty dumb to you.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back