kinda forgot to change differential fluid...

Rtv works better than a gasket.
Oh ok 👍. I wonder why most people don’t like it then? Is the RTV much better just on the differential or everywhere? I always use it when it’s called for on applications but usually don’t make a gasket unless one isn’t available.

Oh ok 👍. I wonder why most people don’t like it then? Is the RTV much better just on the differential or everywhere? I always use it when it’s called for on applications but usually don’t make a gasket unless one isn’t available.
People often do not get the surfaces clean and dry when using RTV. Then it leaks. Cleaning up the surfaces is easier with RTV than with a gasket too.

People often do not get the surfaces clean and dry when using RTV. Then it leaks. Cleaning up the surfaces is easier with RTV than with a gasket too.
Oh I definitely agree it’s easier to clean off for sure. I see now what you are saying too about people not prepping the surface properly and I agree.

I change the differential oil in my cars that have limited slips at 30k to 60k miles, my Wrangler gets 60k changes.
That said, my E83 X3 has passed 200k miles in the hands of its third owner and the diffs have never been touched.

Last edited:
Back