Kia Sorrento 3.3L GDI V6 Owners ?

The above vehicle new with the upgraded 3.3L GDI V6 engine would be on my short list - any issues with that engine ? ... The stock Sorrento engine is the 2.4L GDI engine which I want to avoid .

We have a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe SEL Plus with the 2.4L GDI engine. What problems around I expect? Did they correct previous problems with this year? I had the engine software updated a few months ago.

Here is a 3000 mile review I posted on the Sorento forum.

I picked up my 2019 Sorento S V6 on December 9. I now have 3000 miles on it and am liking it even more as time goes by. Here are some thoughts after 3000 miles.

I really like this engine and transmission. Much sportier than the Equinox V6 that I had before. I wish that it had paddle shifters. I shift it myself sometimes for the fun of it. I like that the transmission will stay in gear so that engine breaking will occur, sort of like a manual. Whenever I'm entering a high speed road or freeway, I hit the button for Sport mode and then hit the gas. That V6 gets the job done (as well as 290 hp. can with 4100 lbs. to haul.) It's not lacking when I need to go. While on the topic of engine and transmission, I do have the stuttering or pulsing transmission problem. But it was never very bad and it's getting better as the miles pile up. It is barely noticeable now. I can easily live with it as is and hope that it continues to progress.

My 'S' trim is in Snow White and has those black wheels. I really like that color combination. That paint looks terrific, IMO. The Snow White is an upgrade paint but I have it because it was end-of-year and it was on the lot and the price was decent. I wouldn't normally spring for extra cost paint.

I wasn't expecting much from the OE Kumho Crugen Premium tires (as most OE tires are crap) but these are decent tires in my opinion. They are 'H' rated 55 series tires. I only had them out in snow once this winter but they did well. I was in 3 to 4 inches of virgin snow and went to a few hills and stopped in the middle of the hills and then started right up, no problem. I also really like that the car has the ability to (electronically) lock a center diff. which will send 50% power to the front and back, up to a certain speed. Will I need that ability very often? No. But I like knowing that I have it.

I find the vehicle to be comfortable. The build quality is very high for this price range, I think. I like that the Sorento does not have engine 'stop/start' or cylinder deactivation. I'm not real keen on CVTs either. I like the blind side warning system and the reverse cross traffic warning. Sort of glad that it doesn't have lane keep and some of that other stuff. I've been driving more than 50 years and just don't need some of the newer gadgets. This car really gives me what I want and not what I don't want.

I'm not much for 'infotainment', but I like how this system works. When I plug the phone in for Android Auto and hit the 'Media' button in the car, I'm immediately connected. It all works well and is intuitive, in my opinion. I just wish that my trim had Sirius XM. I miss that.

I did my first oil change last week. It went well considering the 17 bolts that need to be removed to get the under engine cover off. But that cover does keep everything very clean under there. I thought I could use and adjustable wrench for the 27 mm filter housing, but no such luck. There wasn't much room to turn the wrench so I was only moving the housing a few hairs at a time. So I took my wife's car and ran out to get a 27mm socket to finish the job.

All in all, I'm very pleased with this car. It's a good size, although if it were a hair smaller I would be OK. It's not as much fun as the GTI that I had, but it's way more fun than the Equinox. It looks good, runs well and does pretty much everything I need it to. I still look forward to driving it.

Hope this helps someone who may be looking.

I looked into issues with this engine when I was looking at the Santa Fe.
I could find no major reliability issues with it.
The Lambda II 3.3 GDI has been around for a while (first used in 2012).

I have almost 25,000 miles on my Santa Fe with the 3.3 (15,000 of them are from us) with nothing but a good running engine so far.
A co-worker has a 2015 Santa Fe with the 3.3 and 150,000 miles on it with no engine issues as well.

Originally Posted by JLawrence08648
We have a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe SEL Plus with the 2.4L GDI engine. What problems around I expect? Did they correct previous problems with this year? I had the engine software updated a few months ago.

The issue according to Hyundai was a manufacturing issue. They skipped the step where they clean part of the engine out for metal debris. Many engines were catastrophically failing due to this - the metal could gouge into moving parts or clog oil ports up and starve moving parts of oil. Hyundai extended warranties on these engines, have implemented testing of them during service, etc.

Now some don't believe the issue is fixed. They think it is something more. However, I have not heard of an issue with the replacements Hyundai installed in affected vehicles. I'm not sure when they considered the issue "corrected" but I assume they're going to fix yours if you have issues.

Various piston and rod issues have plagued Hyundai motors for the last 10 years. My personal opinion is if you own a 1.8, 2.0 and 2.4 4 cylinder, you are not out of the woods for problems. Even my motor 1.6T which if you don't drop a piston skirt in the first 8,000 you will be "most likely" be ok. My 2013 Elantra GT 1.8 motor took out pistons and then the lifters ( Hyundai tick of death) at 14,000 miles with 3,000 mile Mobil 1 oil changes, she was a spotless motor. I received it back with a new long block, but it seemed down 20 hp even after 5,000 mile break in. I traded it in for a new 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T, since that and the 3.3. are Hyundai's best motors. Not to mention the cracking of spark plugs on 2.0T motors. Who knows if that is from LSPI or bad tunes because of the use of Hyundai approved 87 octane on 10:1 compression turbo engines.

Let's hope Hyundai FINALLY fixed what appears to be their oil film barrier issue, with their new 2.5 Theta 3 engine. I find it odd that the Theta 2 engine that has all the problems was co designed to use in the Mitsu Evo's and other Mitsu's. They did not have all the engine issues Hyundai does. The Mitsu block is a semi closed dec, where Hyundai used the open deck design and uses their designed pistons and rods, and what appears their own oil pump too. Hyundai has put their head in the sand for about 10 years on their engines, how they could except 100's of millions of $$$ in loses and reputation without fixing the problem. It is said 14% to 16% of Hyundai's have had new motors in the past 8-9 years, many on their 3rd+. All it would of taken is new piston design/materials, block metallurgy, oil pump design. Yet nothing was really done, when we see Mitsubishi did not have this grand of an issue, or even a fraction of it. And sorry, the chips in the crank from machining was for 2 years and I think was a BS false excuse, when we have coming up to 10 years of this multi engine(s) quality control issue taking out long blocks. My 1.8 did not have this "so called" scapegoat crank chip clean out issue. Some of us don't have an issue and can get 200,000 miles on their Hyundai's too. It is just a roll of the dice. All this said, I am still a Hyundai guy. After coming from many Honda and VW cars. I still like Honda longevity and quality, but am bored of their products.

Originally Posted by wbwanzer
Here is a 3000 mile review I posted on the Sorento forum.

I picked up my 2019 Sorento S V6 on December 9. I now have 3000 miles on it and am liking it even more as time goes by. Here are some thoughts after 3000 miles.

I really like this engine and transmission. Much sportier than the Equinox V6 that I had before. I wish that it had paddle shifters. I shift it myself sometimes for the fun of it. I like that the transmission will stay in gear so that engine breaking will occur, sort of like a manual. Whenever I'm entering a high speed road or freeway, I hit the button for Sport mode and then hit the gas. That V6 gets the job done (as well as 290 hp. can with 4100 lbs. to haul.) It's not lacking when I need to go. While on the topic of engine and transmission, I do have the stuttering or pulsing transmission problem. But it was never very bad and it's getting better as the miles pile up. It is barely noticeable now. I can easily live with it as is and hope that it continues to progress.

My 'S' trim is in Snow White and has those black wheels. I really like that color combination. That paint looks terrific, IMO. The Snow White is an upgrade paint but I have it because it was end-of-year and it was on the lot and the price was decent. I wouldn't normally spring for extra cost paint.

I wasn't expecting much from the OE Kumho Crugen Premium tires (as most OE tires are crap) but these are decent tires in my opinion. They are 'H' rated 55 series tires. I only had them out in snow once this winter but they did well. I was in 3 to 4 inches of virgin snow and went to a few hills and stopped in the middle of the hills and then started right up, no problem. I also really like that the car has the ability to (electronically) lock a center diff. which will send 50% power to the front and back, up to a certain speed. Will I need that ability very often? No. But I like knowing that I have it.

I find the vehicle to be comfortable. The build quality is very high for this price range, I think. I like that the Sorento does not have engine 'stop/start' or cylinder deactivation. I'm not real keen on CVTs either. I like the blind side warning system and the reverse cross traffic warning. Sort of glad that it doesn't have lane keep and some of that other stuff. I've been driving more than 50 years and just don't need some of the newer gadgets. This car really gives me what I want and not what I don't want.

I'm not much for 'infotainment', but I like how this system works. When I plug the phone in for Android Auto and hit the 'Media' button in the car, I'm immediately connected. It all works well and is intuitive, in my opinion. I just wish that my trim had Sirius XM. I miss that.

I did my first oil change last week. It went well considering the 17 bolts that need to be removed to get the under engine cover off. But that cover does keep everything very clean under there. I thought I could use and adjustable wrench for the 27 mm filter housing, but no such luck. There wasn't much room to turn the wrench so I was only moving the housing a few hairs at a time. So I took my wife's car and ran out to get a 27mm socket to finish the job.

All in all, I'm very pleased with this car. It's a good size, although if it were a hair smaller I would be OK. It's not as much fun as the GTI that I had, but it's way more fun than the Equinox. It looks good, runs well and does pretty much everything I need it to. I still look forward to driving it.

Hope this helps someone who may be looking.

I have a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL-Limited (also bought new) and can echo your stamen'ts with the 3.3 motor. It's great. Im not sure if the automatic is the same one as yours-so I will not comment there.

As far as the tires-I had the same ones. They are probably better than most OEM's-but they become a little noisy after a while. Because ours is AWD-I had two (unreairable) flats-over two different periods. The first time I was able to replace just one (because the other tires were close enough to be in spec for the AWD system). However-the second flat-the tire couldn't be repaired-thus had to be replaced but the rest of the tires were over 2/32nds-so all 4 needed replaced. I went with the RT43's and find them to be superior to the Crugens with light snow.

The only "issue" I have is I'm nearing 36,000 miles and the transmission shifts a little "sharp" from 1st to 2nd when cold. A little research on this and it appears the "lifetime" fluid isn't and should be replaced at the 36,000 to 40,000 mark, as youtube videos have shown the fluid being "black" when drained out at those miles. So-I will take it to the dealer and have that (fluid exchange) performed-that way it the very small chance there is an issue within the 100,000 mile warranty-they will have the records on the transmission.

Last edited:
The 3.3's are good engines. The only issues were manufacturing ones when they first came out years ago. One of the plants had problems fully flushing milling debris and that caused some premature failures.

All the vehicles with the problem 3.3's came from the same new to produce them American plant so it makes sense that the issue was in manufacturing process rather then the engineering of the engine.

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
The above vehicle new with the upgraded 3.3L GDI V6 engine would be on my short list - any issues with that engine ? ... The stock Sorrento engine is the 2.4L GDI engine which I want to avoid .

100% yes. My girlfriend had that one and it was eating oil. Ended up spinning a rod at around 115k.

I can't figure out the Hyundai engine thing either. I thought it was supposed to be resolved but in the last year at work we have lost 2 Hyundai 1.6 engines both with around 30k, both bought new, both dealer serviced. Those were 2018 Tucsons. They gave us no trouble at all with the warranty replacements but we won't buy more just due to the inconvenience alone. And can we expect to lose these at 60k? I had heard Hyundai engine issues were resolved after 2015, clearly not.

Our 12 Sedona with the Lambda II V6 has been awesome though.

I work at a Kia dealer. Those engines stay strong as long as you keep up with oil changes and use an OEM Mahle oil filter for the best fit. The only RARE issues I've seen with them are over-torqued or missing head bolts from the factory. This is extremely rare and Kia Techline will approve a warranty motor. The biggest "normal" problem with them is they make excessive cold start noise from chain slap. Aftermarket cartridge oil filters make the problem worse. However, they just run and run even after 100k. The newer ones (2019-now) with the cartridge oil filter now on the bottom are much quieter when you start them. They are GDI, so definitely use quality synthetic oils to reduce intake valve buildup, and let them run long enough to get to operating temperature.

Originally Posted by Loobit
I work at a Kia dealer. Those engines stay strong as long as you keep up with oil changes and use an OEM Mahle oil filter for the best fit. The only RARE issues I've seen with them are over-torqued or missing head bolts from the factory. This is extremely rare and Kia Techline will approve a warranty motor. The biggest "normal" problem with them is they make excessive cold start noise from chain slap. Aftermarket cartridge oil filters make the problem worse. However, they just run and run even after 100k. The newer ones (2019-now) with the cartridge oil filter now on the bottom are much quieter when you start them. They are GDI, so definitely use quality synthetic oils to reduce intake valve buildup, and let them run long enough to get to operating temperature.

A bit off topic, but how are the Lambda II RS T-GDi engines in the Stinger holding up? In particular I'm looking at a GTS AWD because I want the ability to route 100% of the power to the rear wheels. I was planning to run Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 with a 6,000 OCI.

Avoid Kia on all fronts sir. Canadian here, had 108,000 km on the car and one morning last week, started clicking like a diesel. Turns out there’s a spun bearing and broken valve springs inside the engine. There were more metal shavings in the bottom of the oil pan than on the floor of a machine shop. It’s toast. $48,000 CDN just finished paying off in March for this now useless hunk of metal. To make matters even better, I am looking at $7,870 for a replacement USED motor with 120,000 km on it. Why would I put an engine in that has more km then the car does now?? So that 12 months down the road I can revisit this same problem?? I am certainly not sinking $11,500 into it for a dealership replacement motor either.

Kia is a disgrace to auto manufacturing and I would never recommend them to anyone I know, or even to anyone I don’t know. From now on, if it doesn’t say Honda, Toyota or Nissan on the badge, it will never be transporting my family around. Do yourself a favour and get as far away from any model of Kia as you can….

Wife's aunt has the V6 in her 2013 Santa Fe I change the oil on occasionally. Currently has 118,000 miles on the odo. The only issues I recall is one failed injector replaced under warranty and one wheel with pealing paint. She loves the thing.

All in 5W30 and at ~5k miles:
Mobil Super
GTX Ultraclean
MaxLife (Red) from VIOC
QSHM (Defy)

Last edited:
Avoid Kia on all fronts sir. Canadian here, had 108,000 km on the car and one morning last week, started clicking like a diesel. Turns out there’s a spun bearing and broken valve springs inside the engine. There were more metal shavings in the bottom of the oil pan than on the floor of a machine shop. It’s toast. $48,000 CDN just finished paying off in March for this now useless hunk of metal. To make matters even better, I am looking at $7,870 for a replacement USED motor with 120,000 km on it. Why would I put an engine in that has more km then the car does now?? So that 12 months down the road I can revisit this same problem?? I am certainly not sinking $11,500 into it for a dealership replacement motor either.

Kia is a disgrace to auto manufacturing and I would never recommend them to anyone I know, or even to anyone I don’t know. From now on, if it doesn’t say Honda, Toyota or Nissan on the badge, it will never be transporting my family around. Do yourself a favour and get as far away from any model of Kia as you can….

OK-bought new or used? Model Year and Motor? Do us a favor and provide a little more info.

OK-bought new or used? Model Year and Motor? Do us a favor and provide a little more info.
It was bought new, April 2016. 2016 Sorento SX with the 3.3 Lambda V6 in it. Here in Canada, I’m seeing that the way dealers and the manufacturer get out of fixing the majority of problems is to make their warranty periods different then the US. When I look up warranty coverage in the US, I see up to 100,000 miles. That’s a full 60,000 km longer than here in Canada (5 years- 100,000 km). Why?? I don’t know. All I know is I am out $48,000 now for this vehicle. To help get something started for a new vehicle, we will probably part it out as every other component on the vehicle should be usable to some degree (A/C system, transmission, exhaust, interior, and the body even….). Anyone know or need any parts for it let me know- I can provide pictures.

It was bought new, April 2016. 2016 Sorento SX with the 3.3 Lambda V6 in it. Here in Canada, I’m seeing that the way dealers and the manufacturer get out of fixing the majority of problems is to make their warranty periods different then the US. When I look up warranty coverage in the US, I see up to 100,000 miles. That’s a full 60,000 km longer than here in Canada (5 years- 100,000 km). Why?? I don’t know. All I know is I am out $48,000 now for this vehicle. To help get something started for a new vehicle, we will probably part it out as every other component on the vehicle should be usable to some degree (A/C system, transmission, exhaust, interior, and the body even….). Anyone know or need any parts for it let me know- I can provide pictures.
The 3.3 is a good motor. Unfortunately-you have had some bad luck and it's not anecdotal of the 3.3 in general. There are added costs of companies that do business in Canada. Some things you get heavy subsidized has to be paid for somehow. And yes-my 2017 Santa Fe has a 10year/100,000 mile warranty. It should be noted that Hyundai replaced the 2.4 motor in my Son's Sonata and it was well out of warranty and even provided him with a rental at no costs to him for a week while the motor was on order.

This experience was so positive for him-he just recently bought an off-lease Santa Fe. It seems Canadians have a tendency to pay more-but can't just make the connection as to why things are the way they are in your country-when it's quite obvious.

The Hyundai 3.3 GDI has a known History of failure as well, they just aren’t catching on fire like the Theta II, hence no safety lawsuits. These engines have been on back order for awhile unfortunately.

Back