Kia Forte rear parking brake adjustment 4 wheel disc w/ rear parking shoes

I suspect it will be obvious what's happening when you pull a rotor. Most likely I suspect that the drum surface is just too rusty to grab. Other possibility is that car was driven too much with brake on and park brake shoe is basically gone. Either way suggest new park brake hardware kit. They are cheap like $10 and what you have will likely be very rusted and tough to adjust or reuse. Best of luck!

You guys called it! This will be a little long but worth the read.

I replace the brakes & rotors all four… fronts were a walk in the park, rears on the other hand, took me an honest hour and a half per back rotor to get it off… even after adjusting the shoes all the way out. The shoes were simply rusted in place fully extended out and grabbing on the lip of the rotor hat. I had to destroy everything related to parking brake just get the rear rotors off.

I wish I grabbed pictures but the parking brake shoes were nonexistent, the springs were rotted, rusted, frozen and half the thickness of what they should’ve been, and the whole mechanism was frozen solid then broke apart like a Pringles chip. To note, both rear rotors are were also missing the plugs for the rotor that covers the adjusting mechanism hole. this probably goes hand-in-hand with the rusted hardware and stuck shoes in the parking brake.

It appears the car was parked with the parking brake on for sometime, and then driven with it “released” in the car but it was still stuck at the rear wheels because everything froze up. So intern they actually drove with the parking brake on wore out the pads completely to the metal with grooves in the rotor hat and I swear the rotor looked blue lol. I could only imagine what this did to the clutch 😭

Parking brake cables though all the way to the rear wheels work fine and are free.

So I did get new hardware and shoes, and will attempt installing everything.

The only “issue“ is I have never worked on parking brake shoes or hardware. I am willing to learn. Does anyone have any pointers? Tips and tricks😆 anything? It appears the springs are color-coded and since I’m replacing everything it should go together relatively simple. The factory service manual says I need to remove the rear wheel hub assembly? Is that true? I mean I got everything off without removing it so I should be able to put it together in the same way no? 😂

Thank you for your thoughts, suggestions, and guidance on this. This is completely new territory for me
20AB5633-052E-46AC-9591-B5F8A921EF7F.jpeg
E0F93A09-AA81-49B4-86F6-9B70236145DD.jpeg

EDIT: just for BITOG I went in the trash to retrieve the rotors and some hardware for a photo shot.

470FF0B9-94A5-4102-BA35-67E3B9444A22.jpeg
D3FC7205-47B4-4E26-AC77-FC5F00A0E960.jpeg
930CC4DD-3EA2-4E1C-B08E-C0A197AEDCB3.jpeg
C4D76F36-DE8D-4ECD-B31D-1E0E0CE6E188.jpeg

Last edited:
This just turned expense……

I assumed – you know what they say about that.
“Brake hardware kit” includes all hardware…

So I threw out everything related to the parking brake system because I’m replacing it all and well it comes in the kit….

I attempted to install the parking brake shoes and hardware kit only to find out after I had everything apart that I threw out a extremely important pieces to the parking brake system that did not come with this “kit”..

I threw out the parking brake “strut” - one on each side and a parking brake “shoe guide” also one on each side… so now I need two new struts and two new parking brake shoe guides… “no problem, I’ll order right from Kia…”

Problem.

They no longer make these parts that I threw out, Kia and Hyundai dealers cannot get these parts, and forget AutoZone or Napa… even eBay and Amazon no go. 😔

Problem….

I’ll order it off line…

Order canceled because again these parts are non existent.

Junk yard time…

Problem….

“Oh if it’s behind the rotor, we have to sell you the whole axle!!!!”

So i’m really in a position now. I need the parking brake to pass inspection plus for safety….

I really don’t think I have many options left,
But to buy the whole axle for $40 in parking brake parts.

The rear axle is a couple hundred at minimum.

😩 😣 😑

I’m gonna have to do it aren’t I…. or does anyone have any suggestions on where I can get these discontinued parts. 😭

BB2247F6-9985-419C-B106-B4EFD01B7010.jpeg
0A6DDCDE-BEE7-44B9-BE25-80DC016DA109.jpeg

Edit: worst thing about this is I took some parts out of the trash to take a photo…… in the photo is one of the struts 😂 that I need!!!
14E55D3B-323C-4160-BA09-F570641C6780.jpeg

Couple things that may help you. First rear parking brakes can be hard because you have little room to work. First suggestion is only work on one side at a time so you have the other side as a reference, but to late now based on your pics. If you took lots you're likely ok. If not suggest get parts from a junkyard so you can take pics. Check car-part.com sort by distance and look for anything hood, door fuel pump or some part to find a junk yard near you with your car and call them to ask if they have rear brake parts. Get what you need. And take lots of pics. Kia Soul same engine may use same parts so that's another junkyard option. You should be able to verify that on Kia website. Try + model first. Look at a couple you tube video on drum brakes for how to. Lastly your pic shows that you tightened the cable nut lots. Back that off to where it was and use the adjusters in the drum hardware kit star wheel to tighten as you will not have any future adjustment if you leave it where it is. You want drum adjusted to turn by hand with just a little friction/resistance. Good needle nose will be your friend as space is tight. Best of luck

Forgot your hub question. Kinda 6 of one half dozen of the other. Never touched a forte so not sure but should be able to do it with hub there. It just leaves the room to work tighter. Personally I,d try with hub there and only remove it absolutely impossible any other way and almost sure you can leave hub there. Hopefully someone with a forte will chime in to tell you fore sure. If you do remove hub you'll likely need to buy new brake backer plates too as they will likely crumble from rust trying to separate from hubs and they are likely dealer only new so more expense. Used ones likely junk

Here’s to positive vibes! 🙏 thank you all for the suggestions, and special shout out to: researcher. 🎊 for the many links.. After many days of searching and buying parts just to have orderers cancelled, it appears we have a winner!! Will keep you updated, and hopefully I’ll be knocking this out sooner then later.
3D67E8AE-D384-4480-ADAA-076E791725AA.jpeg
5111E7FF-1553-47A8-B466-34234084F2F4.jpeg

hey you're welcome for the help! Hope this seller/retailer comes through for ya! Then you can get the Koup back on the road! (y)

😔 update.

I’ll jump right too it - I bought the axle.

The parts are nonexistent on the market.

Good news is the pick and pull is throwing all 4 oem 2.4l springs that I also need for “free” 😩

I pick up the parts tomorrow.

Will keep you updated.

325$ for everything…. I’m giving the axle back once I remove the parking brake hardware strut(s) and guide plate(s)😞

Might want to keep the bearing hubs too or at least 1 if they are same if you have room to store it. Only takes 1 crater pothole to wipe them out.

😔 update.

I’ll jump right too it - I bought the axle.

The parts are nonexistent on the market.

Good news is the pick and pull is throwing all 4 oem 2.4l springs that I also need for “free” 😩

I pick up the parts tomorrow.

Will keep you updated.

325$ for everything…. I’m giving the axle back once I remove the parking brake hardware strut(s) and guide plate(s)😞

ah man that sucks.. I'm sorry! 😫 So hyundaipartsdeal didn't have the parts?? hopefully the axle gets you the parts you need!

Well, this post 100% discouraged me from delving into my '11 SX parking brake. A 147k northeast car now residing in South Carolina. I still have some hold and have done rotors but never got into associated hardware nor shoe replacement.

Oh and I forgot I pulled just miscellaneous parts that I could take off without taking the axle off or the wheel bearings.

Parts that I may never need but who knows 😂
A6DB87D1-0BC1-4463-B471-0F172005F412.jpeg

And the suspension
A456FCA4-7B26-426D-B9C9-AE0F81E70BE5.jpeg

So the more that I think about it although I didn’t take the axle I got a lot of the parts to make it stock again and functional so I think it’s actually money well spent and it is what it is.

today was a success!

I’ll sand and paint before install but they are whole and not bent.
hey sorry that link I sent ya didn't work out to find the parts, new.. but glad to see you were able to find decent (even if you have to sand a little) parts to get the job done!! :D

hey sorry that link I sent ya didn't work out to find the parts, new.. but glad to see you were able to find decent (even if you have to sand a little) parts to get the job done!! :D
Absolutely thank you so much for the links I’m gonna save them because I’ll probably need other parts in the future LOL

Back