Kia Forte rear parking brake adjustment 4 wheel disc w/ rear parking shoes

The vehicle in question is a Kia Forte 2.4L 6 MT 125K with 4 wheel disc brakes with parking shoes inside of rear rotors, It has abs, electronic brake distribution, brake assist system and stability/traction control. I don’t think any of that matters because this is a mechanical parking brake I’m asking about.

I was thinking this would be an easy fix/adjustment but I was wrong. The E brake/parking brake in the forte does absolutely nothing, I adjusted the tension in the center console and then took off both rear tires and adjusted the parking brake shoes that way via the hole in rotor, adjusted with slight drag but even with the adjustments, pulling up the handle as hard as you can in the car, does not engage the parking brake . The handle does not even go up all the way, I adjusted to factory 5-7 clicks. and with as much strength as you can put into that handle the parking brake does not engage and goes up about 6 clicks max. It gives the feeling with the resistance in the parking brake handle that it’s working but it’s not. 😔

What should I be looking at here? I do plan on upgrading the brakes rotors and pads in the next couple months, should I just replace the parking brake hardware while I’m in there? I’m really getting the feeling that somebody drove with the parking brake engaged and that’s why it’s not working. The cables are also free and do not drag. The odd thing though is if I adjusted the parking brake through the rear rotor I could get the tire to lock up with that adjustment, but even doing the factory specs with slight drag and 5 to 7 clicks max the parking brake completely unresponsive. Thanks in advance for all your input and suggestions.

A couple pictures after chemical guys ceramic wax treatment for your enjoyment 🎉

0BE4C19E-F462-4F86-9BC2-A5B104113097.jpeg
247BF59B-4CD5-42E9-A28F-1F84C28A9C4D.jpeg

It sounds like the cable is seized, so when you pull the handle, no matter how you have the shoes adjusted, nothing actually moves at the back wheels. Setting the brakes loose should allow the handle to go all the way up easily.

That's one shiny car! A serious inspection is needed when you take the brakes apart. A bad wheel seal will cause problems also.

It sounds like the cable is seized, so when you pull the handle, no matter how you have the shoes adjusted, nothing actually moves at the back wheels. Setting the brakes loose should allow the handle to go all the way up easily.
I believe the cables are free, they definitely do move a couple inches when you apply the parking brake via the handle

Not engaged
23E26DEF-02DA-40E8-AACA-47FE4972D465.jpeg

Engaged
34B21962-E4BA-4B1C-894B-5E7F773D9351.jpeg

That's one shiny car! A serious inspection is needed when you take the brakes apart. A bad wheel seal will cause problems also.
Did not think of that. So you’re saying like brake fluid could be inside of the rear parking brake shoes and they’re actually working but there’s just fluid and they’re slipping?

Off topic, but for an old Kia it’s really a clean car and it’s visually nice to look at lol. The chemical guys ceramic wax really made the black paint look amazing 🤩

I believe the cables are free, they definitely do move a couple inches when you apply the parking brake via the handle

Not engaged
View attachment 96057

Engaged
View attachment 96058
So can you see the cable movement at the brake shoe when an assistant actuates the e-brake?

It may be moving in the vehicle like you show in the pictures but siezed up somewhere along the way before the brake shoe mechanism.

Did not think of that. So you’re saying like brake fluid could be inside of the rear parking brake shoes and they’re actually working but there’s just fluid and they’re slipping?

Off topic, but for an old Kia it’s really a clean car and it’s visually nice to look at lol. The chemical guys ceramic wax really made the black paint look amazing 🤩
My experience with drum brakes on a truck. Greasy shoes don't work as well. If the pads are squeezing down and the e-brake still doesn't work either something is lubing the pads or your pads are too worn down. Assuming all the brake parts are ok and nothing is broken.

You did that backwards. You first adjust at the shoes, than at the center console. Go back to the console and tighten it up now.
Yes exactly. Adjusting inside the car should only be necessary after replacing cable(s). But since you've turned it, now you have to go through the whole process. Have the handle down and loosen the nut so the cables are slack. The actuator arms that the cables pull at the wheels should be all the way back. Then go to each wheel and turn the shoes out until it just starts to drag. Then tighten the nut inside to get the slack out of the cables. They should be just about to move when the handle is down. This should result in proper handle travel.

My experience with drum brakes on a truck. Greasy shoes don't work as well. If the pads are squeezing down and the e-brake still doesn't work either something is lubing the pads or your pads are too worn down. Assuming all the brake parts are ok and nothing is broken.
This is front wheel drive. No axle tube with leaking seals here.

So can you see the cable movement at the brake shoe when an assistant actuates the e-brake?

It may be moving in the vehicle like you show in the pictures but siezed up somewhere along the way before the brake shoe mechanism.

You did that backwards. You first adjust at the shoes, than at the center console. Go back to the console and tighten it up
OK so I screwed up the process I’m going to redo it and will update. Thanks

I mean could both sides be seized is that possible? I have a receipt from 2016 at a Kia dealership for all new brakes rotors and calipers for some reason.

I’d pull the rear rotors and take a look-see.

I never had to adjust the cable on any car - the only time that is to be done is to adjust a new parking brake cable - adjusting the shoes in the back is all that is needed.

Back