Keyless Entry Help Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I just bought a 2006 Caravan that did not have a remote for unlocking the doors. When I was at the Dodge dealer I decided to make sure it came with one from the factory. Nope, it didn't, which surprised me.

It has electric locks so what would it take to make it keyless entry? I have a non-running 2006 SXT that has keyless entry. Would it be as simple as unplugging a module out of the dead van and plugging it into my new van?

Also, the SXT has a compass/outside temperature gauge/trip gauge above the rearview mirror. Is it as simple as removing It from the one van and putting it in the other van? Would the wires and stuff be there read to plug and play or does the headliner need to come down and different wires run up to it? Having this feature would be nice if it is not difficult to do, and why not? The SXT is going to the junk yard anyway.

Thanks for your time.

how good are you at doing car stuff? you can probably install an alarm with keyless entry for $50 . that is what i did with my 99 outback. the wiring diagrams are on the net that tell one exactly where the wire is and color to tap

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audiovox-Pursuit-Pro100-Auto-Car-Alarm-Security-System-Vehicle-Keyless-Entry/123897789362?hash=item1cd8e23bb2:g:mBoAAOSwWRFde5qN

Last edited:
I know the SXT trim Neons had the wiring in place for any available features that a particular one didn't have(My '05 neon SXT didn't come with cruise, but the wiring needed was already there.)... but beyond that... I can't say that a similar strategy was involved with the caravans, because i simply don't know.

Last edited:
You need to get a service manual and see if there is and where, the module is and what other modules it communicates with if any. Did this swap to an F150 plus the power windows and locks.

Time to start digging.

You may have issues where a master body control module (or similar) is not programmed for RKE and the module knows its VIN, and won't work in another van.

I see no harm in plugging your modules in, where they go. The wiring is almost certainly there.

You may need a temp sensor, behind the front bumper. The compass thing doesn't use the car's intake air sensor AFAIK. (It didn't on my y2k T&C)

Originally Posted by WhyMe
how good are you at doing car stuff? you can probably install an alarm with keyless entry for $50 . that is what i did with my 99 outback. the wiring diagrams are on the net that tell one exactly where the wire is and color to tap

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audiovox-Pursuit-Pro100-Auto-Car-Alarm-Security-System-Vehicle-Keyless-Entry/123897789362?hash=item1cd8e23bb2:g:mBoAAOSwWRFde5qN

I looked at the link you shared... that looks like a nice system for the money!

Originally Posted by eljefino
Time to start digging.

You may have issues where a master body control module (or similar) is not programmed for RKE and the module knows its VIN, and won't work in another van.

I see no harm in plugging your modules in, where they go. The wiring is almost certainly there.

You may need a temp sensor, behind the front bumper. The compass thing doesn't use the car's intake air sensor AFAIK. (It didn't on my y2k T&C)

Eliefino, thanks for your reply. I think you are right about RKE having issues. other issues. From digging around online it looks like the module is specific to its original vehicle. It was worth investigating!
smile.gif

If retrofitting the OEM parts turns out to be impractical, aftermarket keyless entry units can be had for about $20. Wiring can usually be done at a central locking switch or the body computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back