KeyFob won't unlock doors on 2004 Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to fix a 2004 Honda Accord. While the keyfob works fine for most functions and the battery is brand new, the keyfob button won't unlock the car doors. The spare keyfob also has the same issue, so I am thinking is more than a "bad button" on the keyfob.

Any ideas as to where the problem might be? (Given the age and likely repair cost, I'm trying to avoid going to a dealer to get it fixed.)

Thanks in advance!!!

What are the other functions that currently work with the key fob (e.g., opens trunk, panic alarm, locks doors but does not unlock doors, remote start, etc.)? Is this a OEM Honda fob or aftermarket? Accord EX or LX trim?

Take the key fob apart again and look for cracks in solder joints. Some units solder the buttons right to the circuit board, resulting in mechanically stressed solder joints.

We had this same problem on my wife's 2003 Accord. The driver's door lock actuator was bad. I left it in place but disconnected it and installed an aftermarket actuator in the door and just connected the wires from the factory actuator to the new aftermarket one. Actuators are basic two-wire reverse polarity motors and they all work the same way, put power on one wire, ground on the other and the actuator moves one way, for lock or unlock. Reverse the connections and the actuator moves in the opposite direction. The "correct" repair on this is to remove the entire latch assembly from the door and swap out the factory actuator, but I fixed it back in about 2009, we gave the car to my wife's mother in 2014 and my old green Directed Electronics door lock actuator is still working just fine today. If you go this route you can buy an actuator online at Crutchfield, Sonic Electronix or Amazon for around $20.00.

I have the same problem on my 2000 Accord but only on the two passenger side doors. Was thinking of opening the door panels and squirt some lithium grease on all the moving parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back