Kerosene heaters/ lamps

Hi, This is probably a little of topic for this forum, but can anyone tell me if Klean heat is the same as mineral spirits? Also does it burn too hot for kerosene/oil lamps and is there a cheaper alternative to Klean heat besides standard kerosene? Thanks

It is not the same. Mineral spirits (paint thinner, Stoddard solvent) is a more volatile fraction than kerosene, somewhere in between kerosene and white gas. Do not use it in heaters or lamps.

Kerosene is very similar or the same product as jet fuel and #1 heating oil.

I have an Aladdin lamp that burns kerosene. Klean Heat really stinks when burning, and I don't care for it, it also tends to gum up the wick on the burner. I've had better luck with regular Jet A (regular jet fuel) sumped from the Gulfstream, and K1 from the Kero pump at the station that sells it. I'm not sure why my experience with Klean Heat is so different from normal Kerosene, but it is. Plus it is no longer cheap. I see it for nearly $20 per gallon now. No thanks.

No klean heat along with the 1-k stuff at the other box store is just "cleaned up" kerosene. Supposed to have less volatiles and sulfer.

Jet a, kerosene (k1), and #1 heating oil are all essentially the same thing and I've used them interchangeably over the years.

Desiel can be used but it'll need to be thinned and stinks like you wouldn't believe. Mineral spirits are too volatile and burn too hot and quicker and not as cleanly either in my experience. Don't use.

I had used K1 kerosene in some wall/table copper Alladin lamps for many decades. Not the No. 1 heating oil, which is kerosene but much dirtier. I also had used some colored unscented lamp oil which smelled far better, but I don't know what that was composed of. Supposedly some sort of highly refined and purfied hydocarbon.

Back