Kendall Oil - why so hard to find?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my last oil change done with Kendall Synthetic oil (not planned) and ever since, I've not seen a single auto-parts store that carries it.
Is there a reason? Is it just that marketing another oil is too expensive for the company or is it just not a big player any more?
I remember as a kid, it seemed to be everywhere. Is it because of the new owners?
Does it *uck?

Scott

I was getting the SM blend at big lots for $1.59 a quart, But it's all gone now.
frown.gif

Autozone in my area carries a small selection of it and the Tires Plus gets their bulk oil from Kendall when they used to get it from Pennzoil. It seemed to be an oil that wouldn't start getting dark until about 2,500 miles on one of my cars, not that it really means much. Seems to have a very limited market as far as I can tell.

Kendall is owned by ConocoPhillips. Therefore it competes with its stablemates, TropArtic and Motorcraft for shelf space.

quote:

Originally posted by BrianWC:
Kendall is owned by ConocoPhillips. Therefore it competes with its stablemates, TropArtic and Motorcraft for shelf space.

Which is what I thought but there's hardly any of that there either.
Looks like the big-labels get all the shelf space, and I suppose I don't blame them.

BTW, 5w20 is also incredibly hard to find in any variety...PITA this new car and oil is
wink.gif

Scott

I seem to rember reading an article re: the Kendall brand was selected by ConocoPhillips to be promoted as a bulk oil brand for dealerships & QuickieLubes.

I can name at least 1 dealership and a tire/muffler/brake shop in my area that advertises Kendall for oil changes.

I was going to buy it by the case from the Bridgestone/Firestone store until they told me it was three dollars a bottle!

quote:

Regional thing, I guess. I can't tell you the last time I saw any Chevron Supreme.

CS is carried by several WalMarts in my area now - nearly 50 cents/qt. less than corporate stablemate, Havoline. Those same WalMarts routinely stock 5W-30 and 10W-30 TropArtic Synthetic Blend, too - virtually the same product as Kendall Synthetic Blend. Keep in mind that between the aftermath of Katrina and current geo-politically driven crude oil pricing increases, base oil supplies are still under allocation to blenders at less than previous delivery levels. The times - they's a gittin' int'restin'...
wink.gif

I should've jumped all over the Kendall at Big Lots. They had TONS of it at every Big Lots I went in a while back.

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:

quote:

You don't have to tell me about Katrina...or Rita....
lol.gif

What would a guy from Sheveport know about hurricanes anyway?
dunno.gif
smile.gif

Well, lets see.....tons of refugees came up here from Katrina....Rita's eye came right over me and dropped about 8 inches of rain and blocked off both ends of my street w/ downed trees.....I work for the US Forest Service and was "detailed" out to FEMA to help check in/out all those semis full of supplies that took a joy ride around the disaster zone......
It was fun!
shocked.gif

After Wal-Mart quit selling TropArtic around here, I searched several Big Lots for Kendall. No dice. The local distributor wanted $2.50/qt for the Kendall syn blend, and $5.50/qt for synthetic. Hardly a bargain, and not really worth a special trip to the distributor.

The local Wal-Mart was also largely cleaned out of Motorcraft last time I checked. CP seems to have distribution issues...so no more CP oil for me.

Scott look for UNOCAL 76 syn blend. There is some around here. A lot of auto parts stores carry motorcraft so you can find a simular oil. GOOD LUCK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back