Kendall GT1 Synth Blend 5w20 / 6.8k mi / 2013 Kia

Status
Not open for further replies.
To preface, I do these to satisfy my curiosity more than anything else, but this looks like a nice boring report to me.

This was actually the second OCI on Kendall GT-1 Synth Blend 5w20, I am now on my third fill of that oil. The engine really does seem to like this oil and runs unbelievably quiet and smoothly once its warmed up.

Vehicle: 2013 Kia Sorento EX 3.5L V6
Miles on Vehicle: 33900
Miles on Oil: 6800
UOA was done by Polaris Labs. Previous were done by Blackstone.

I don't see Flashpoint listed, fuel was listed as
They claimed TBN was slightly low at 3.94. Overall I'm impressed, though this OCI was easy miles, a solid 4k miles of it was done via highway road trip, and it only took 2.5 months to cover almost 7k miles.

I'll feel comfortable going up to 7k or out to the manual limit of 7500 miles.

Code:

OIL Kendall 5w20 QSGB 5w20 Nextgen 5w20

MILES IN USE 6.8k 5.5k 5k

MILES 33900 13695 8195

SAMPLE TAKEN 07/24/14 09/07/13 06/23/13

MAKE UP ADDED 0 qts 0 qts 0 qts

Aluminum 5 6 11

Chromium 0 0 0

Iron 6 8 13

Copper 6 10 20

Lead 0 1 0

Tin 0 0 0

Molybendum 21 97 185

Nickel 0 0 0

Manganese 0 1 2

Silver 0 1 2

Titanium 81 0 0

Potassium 0 2 1

Boron 42 52 4

Silicon 13 19 45

Sodium 15 37 0

Calcium 2307 1938 2251

Magnesium 10 12 23

Phosphorus 718 659 735

Zinc 770 713 859

Barium 0 0 1

SUS Visc @ 210F 50.6 53.7

cSt @ 100C 7.42 7.46 8.38

Flashpoint F 435 385

Fuel %
Antifreeze % 0.0 0.0

Water % 0.0 0.0

Insolubles % 0.2 0.4

TBN 3.94 2.0 2.0

Oxidation 10

Nitration 9

Yeah, it's boring all right. Boring and good. That Kendall syn blend has some great wear #'s. I'd buy it if I ever saw it for a reasonable price. Cheapest place to get it is to let Firestone Quick Lube do the change.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Yeah, it's boring all right. Boring and good. That Kendall syn blend has some great wear #'s. I'd buy it if I ever saw it for a reasonable price. Cheapest place to get it is to let Firestone Quick Lube do the change.

Where do you think that OCI came from? It was even on whatever filter they use.
smile.gif

Certainly wish Kendall GT-1 synthetic and blend were more readily available. My choice of oil through breakin on my '13 Altima.

You can also use the Kendall website to find a distributor near you. I have one near me where I can get the Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic with Liquid Titanium for $4 a quart. Only caveat is that you can't buy single quarts, it has to be by the case.

For those without a distributor near them, you can order the Kendall full synthetic from Petroleum Service Company for under $60 a case including shipping. Best price from them is when you buy two cases at a time.

Please post the name of the distributor who sells Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic with Liquid Titanium for $4 a quart? Thanks

Originally Posted By: sicko
You can also use the Kendall website to find a distributor near you. I have one near me where I can get the Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic with Liquid Titanium for $4 a quart. Only caveat is that you can't buy single quarts, it has to be by the case.

For those without a distributor near them, you can order the Kendall full synthetic from Petroleum Service Company for under $60 a case including shipping. Best price from them is when you buy two cases at a time.

I got mine from PSC. As I live in NJ (they're in PA) shipping was cheapish. I should be moving out of state in the next couple months but I'll probably still buy from them, just 2 cases at a time.

Given how the numbers look plus the engine seems to like the oil given its quiet and smooth operations I see no reason to change anything.

Only bad thing in this report is copper and I'm really splitting hairs here. But i believe it does have to do with the viscosity loss(minor). Other than that it is indeed a great report.

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525
Please post the name of the distributor who sells Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic with Liquid Titanium for $4 a quart? Thanks

Petroleum Service Company has the best price online, they have the Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic w/Liquid Titanium for around $4 a quart, and shipping is reasonable if you buy two cases.

If you don't want to pay shipping, check http://www.phillips66lubricants.com/marketers-distributors/ to see if you have a distributor near you. A lot of them will sell to individuals, and they'll probably be selling Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic w/Liquid Titanium for around $4 a quart, and you don't have to pay shipping because you're picking up the case(s) yourself.

Excellent report, one of the best I've seen for a Hyundai/KIA on 5w20. Our KIA also ran scary quiet on an oil with ti (Castrol).

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Excellent report, one of the best I've seen for a Hyundai/KIA on 5w20. Our KIA also ran scary quiet on an oil with ti (Castrol).

If I change to a different oil I would probably try something else with Ti in it, the engine really seems to like it. But at this point I don't really see a need to do so.

Still noisy at start up Kia filter or no though. Ah well, I can live with it.

Originally Posted By: sicko

Do you buy your Kendall at Pugh Lubricants?

I have the same vehicle. Here's an important question...Can we discount any wear damage associated with the noisy cold starts based on UOA like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back