Kendall full synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mark888
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
The Kendall/ConocoPhillips oils are excellent. FAR superior to Supertech.

What do you have to back that up?

Various Kendell weights meets the GM4718 spec as well as the Acura/Honda HTO-06 specs. I'm pretty sure ST syn doesn't...

I didn't make any claims about which is better. Some people on this forum are nuts!

Personally, I would go with Walmart SuperTech full synthetic before one of the ConocoPhillips brands.

Ok?
21.gif

That was a personal preference, and based on price. I didn't say it was better.

I didn't make any claims about which is better. Some people on this forum are nuts!

Personally, I would go with Walmart SuperTech full synthetic before one of the ConocoPhillips brands.

Ok?
21.gif

That was a personal preference, and based on price. I didn't say it was better.

Sure comes across that way when you say you would take ST over any of the other brands?
21.gif
Doesn't really matter. You are entitled to your opinion. I should not have worded my initial response the way I did.

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Their semi synth GT-1 seems to be doing great with my car. I have been usually using this (comes std with Firestone oil service) for the past few years, and once done a UOA on it (great wear numbers). They definitely seem to be moving up as a brand and improving their stuff over the years too. I can't wait to get a hold of this mystery stuff now (Nano Ti? additive) when it's available by the gallon:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1362587&fpart=1

--
My '95 Roo, '93 Saab 900 <3 MoS2

Last edited:
Sure comes across that way when you say you would take ST over any of the other brands?
21.gif
Doesn't really matter. You are entitled to your opinion. I should not have worded my initial response the way I did.

When someone asks for a recommendation, I try and figure out how price sensitive they are. If they appear to be price sensitive, and considering a synthetic, I would tend to recommend SuperTech, which cost about the same as some name brand synthetic blends, and is significantly better than any synthetic blend.

That does not mean that I think SuperTech is the best quality synthetic oil. But it is a very good Group III synthetic.

I am also a big believer in using an oil that has the certifications specified by the engine manufacturer. So even though some of the boutique oils have very high quality base stock (more PAO/Ester than Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge, etc) I would not necessarily recommend them for normal engines still under warranty.

There is a lot more than "quality" to consider when choosing or recommending a motor oil.

I will also add one more thing. I am not impressed by brand names, which can be bought and sold like any commodity. Kendall may have a storied history, but their products now are the same as other ConocoPhillips brands, and from the specs I have seen on the website they are OK, but rather unremarkable motor oils.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should probably point out that in the 1980's I worked for Phillips Petroleum for about 4 years. I currently own a substantial amount of COP stock (also own substantial amount of BP stock). I do not have any current or previous financial interest in Walmart.

The major oil companies live or die on the price of crude oil and natural gas. The motor oil business is insignificant to the overall financial health or stock price of the majors, especially in the case of COP (not even sure they make their own motor oils).

Incidentally, the Kendall full synthetic is on sale at Pepboys for $19.99 (5 qts.) with a Proline (Purolater) filter...

Last edited:
Kendall did perform well. Of course it was 4 years ago as JAG stated. They also have an oil that meets Honda's turbo spec.

21.gif

When someone asks for a recommendation, I try and figure out how price sensitive they are. If they appear to be price sensitive, and considering a synthetic, I would tend to recommend SuperTech, which cost about the same as some name brand synthetic blends, and is significantly better than any synthetic blend.

That does not mean that I think SuperTech is the best quality synthetic oil. But it is a very good Group III synthetic.

I am also a big believer in using an oil that has the certifications specified by the engine manufacturer. So even though some of the boutique oils have very high quality base stock (more PAO/Ester than Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge, etc) I would not necessarily recommend them for normal engines still under warranty.

There is a lot more than "quality" to consider when choosing or recommending a motor oil.

I will also add one more thing. I am not impressed by brand names, which can be bought and sold like any commodity. Kendall may have a storied history, but their products now are the same as other ConocoPhillips brands, and from the specs I have seen on the website they are OK, but rather unremarkable motor oils.

You do realize that Kendall GT1 full synthetic is one of the cheapest on the market right? Less than $5 a qt retail. Just curious if you realize that seeing as you pick ST because of price.

You do realize that Kendall GT1 full synthetic is one of the cheapest on the market right? Less than $5 a qt retail. Just curious if you realize that seeing as you pick ST because of price.

If you buy oil in 5 quart jugs at Walmart, the price per quart is approximately:

SuperTech Synthetic $3.50
Pennzoil Platinum $4.00

These are regular prices, not sale prices, nor with any rebates.

Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, Conoco Syncon High Performance Synthetic Motor Oil, 76 High Performance Full Synthetic Motor Oil, and Phillips 66 TropArtic Full Synthetic Motor Oil are all identical (all of these brands are owned by ConocoPhillips).

GT-1 Ultimate Synthetic Motor Oil and 76 Super Synthetic Motor Oil are different formulas designed to meet the GM4718M specification for use in high-performance, high-temperature applications (such as turbos), although its pour point is not as good as the ConocoPhillips oils listed above.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
ST is only $3.40 per quart in 5 quart jugs. Does Kendall come in a 5 quart jug?

Even if it did, if it's not sold at Walmart, it may not be as cheap as the others.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
SuperTech has a problem mislabeling their oils it seems.

They do?

There have been more than one recalls...

ST is only $3.40 per quart in 5 quart jugs. Does Kendall come in a 5 quart jug?

Even if it did, if it's not sold at Walmart, it may not be as cheap as the others.

If you're worried about "cheap," then why use synthetic at all?

There are multiple conventionals and syn-blends that meet the same spec's as ST syn does. In fact, ST syn meets no more OEM spec's than any conventional or syn-blend as best I can tell...

Last edited:
Even in individual quarts, the ST synthetic is only $3.87 (recent price reduction)

I can get the Kendall GT1 FS here locally for $4.50 p/qt( most expensive is Pepboys at $4.99 regular price ). For $0.63 I would take that over ST any day of the week. That is significantly less than the individual qts of PP, QS, VVL, etc... even at Wal-Mart.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
There have been more than one recalls...

I believe that was a labeling problem with SuperTech gear oil several years ago. I have not heard any credible complaints about their synthetic motor oil.

Even in individual quarts, the ST synthetic is only $3.87 (recent price reduction)

I can get the Kendall GT1 FS here locally for $4.50 p/qt( most expensive is Pepboys at $4.99 regular price ). For $0.63 I would take that over ST any day of the week. That is significantly less than the individual qts of PP, QS, VVL, etc... even at Wal-Mart.

I am just curious, would you be so enthusiastic about Conoco Synthetic? You seem to be mesmerized by the Kendall brand name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back