Kelly Tires really?

Kelly's are like the house brand of Goodyear

The owner of my local Goodyear shop refers to them as "last year's Goodyear's"

Whenever they come out with a new tire, the old tread mold/design gets moved over to the Kelly line

Goodyear isn't the only one who does this, either.

Sun kills rubber.

Sure it does, but I'll bet this car doesn't see 4 hours a week out of the windowless garage in sunlight.

Her visit to the dealer resulted in tires she was scared into, an unnecessary oil change and a coolant flush that resulted in a pegged temp gauge coming home and another trip to the dealer. Not bad really.:rolleyes:

I’d never run a Kelly tire. Just a preference and I would not buy anything made by Goodyear. Last set we had was horrible in rain. Now they are made by Goodyear and could’ve been then too but they are not a favorite of mine. I don’t replace tires with age either though. We have some tires from 2007 on a vehicle no way we will replace till they get worn down more they are at 5/32 now. We have the original tires from 2017 on my moms car not replacing till they wear out which will be soon.

My state has actually thrown around the idea of failing cars on inspections if their tires are more than a certain age. They have been talking about it for awhile but haven’t implemented it yet thankfully.

Kelly Super Charger raised white letter were a mid-priced tire popular with guys who reduced tread depth by burning it off more than rolling up miles. They were more highly regarded than store branded tires like Monkey Ward, JC Penney or Sears. But, while less expensive than Goodrich, Goodyear or Firestone, they smoked every bit as well.

MileStar is a good brand of tires-that happen to be made in China. I have owned some in the past.
No these are made in the U.S.
Are Milestar tires American made?

TIRECO'S MILESTAR BRAND ANNOUNCES MADE IN U.S.A. ALL-SEASON POWER LINE - Milestar Tires.Mar 15, 2021

No these are made in the U.S.
Are Milestar tires American made?

TIRECO'S MILESTAR BRAND ANNOUNCES MADE IN U.S.A. ALL-SEASON POWER LINE - Milestar Tires.Mar 15, 2021
I guess they opened a facility in the U.S. But yes-they are still a Chinese Company.

I think somebody mentioned this & I did not read the 2nd 2 pages: the shop can say "It is our shop that was visited last. We can B liable for anything wrong. We did not like xxx & changed it for safety."
Use just one (may B here fav right now?) shop. Go to that shop and say "I will B watching ur service for my (grandmother, mother, neighbor, friend). Treat her no different than you would a thirty some gentleman w/some car knowledge. No more up-sells or I'll be in to ask for a difference."
Otherwise
2) have her go toa shop you currently use / respect / have a relationship with.
3) Accompany her
4) Talk to her abt ur care & concern abt her, not "U did it wrong".
One or all 4 ?
Good luck, thank you for your human neighborliness. We have a 7 house/family deal like this (in'n out of each other's homes, care for like family due to the corps spreading us all over'n w/o our own families where we all grew up). Family of choice...

I think somebody mentioned this & I did not read the 2nd 2 pages: the shop can say "It is our shop that was visited last. We can B liable for anything wrong. We did not like xxx & changed it for safety."
Use just one (may B here fav right now?) shop. Go to that shop and say "I will B watching ur service for my (grandmother, mother, neighbor, friend). Treat her no different than you would a thirty some gentleman w/some car knowledge. No more up-sells or I'll be in to ask for a difference."
Otherwise
2) have her go toa shop you currently use / respect / have a relationship with.
3) Accompany her
4) Talk to her abt ur care & concern abt her, not "U did it wrong".
One or all 4 ?
Good luck, thank you for your human neighborliness. We have a 7 house/family deal like this (in'n out of each other's homes, care for like family due to the corps spreading us all over'n w/o our own families where we all grew up). Family of choice...
Was that translated from Chinese?

manufacturers make many types-styles + from experience even michelin can have POS tyres as the OE MXV energy were very poor in the rain on my new 2001 wolfsurg, they were removed before worn out for safety, my aunt bought no name tyres for her 99 cherokee + they always cracked prior to be worn out at 1 to 2 thou yearly!! car sat out in the sun!! never checked the date codes though!

Kelly Super Charger raised white letter were a mid-priced tire popular with guys who reduced tread depth by burning it off more than rolling up miles. They were more highly regarded than store branded tires like Monkey Ward, JC Penney or Sears. But, while less expensive than Goodrich, Goodyear or Firestone, they smoked every bit as well.

Speaking of Montgomery Ward, my dad ran their store branded tires for years without issues. He was told by one of their employees their tires were made by Kelly-Springfield. This was back in the '60's or 70's. The first set of tires I bought were Montgomery Ward raised white letter tires, Road Huggers if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
Speaking of Montgomery Ward, my dad ran their store branded tires for years without issues. He was told by one of their employees their tires were made by Kelly-Springfield. This was back in the '60's or 70's. The first set of tires I bought were Montgomery Ward raised white letter tires, Road Huggers if I recall correctly.
There was nothing wrong with Ward's. We shopped there often. Good products and good value. A sad day when they closed our store.
But the image conscious muscle car guys wouldn't be seen dead with their branded tires. I had a set of Ward's tires on my Super Bee. I guess you can tell what I care about image from that.

Wow! Road Huggers brings back memories from 1975 when I put them on my Plymouth Duster.Ran Road Huggers until the early 80's.Then Sears Road Handler tires until they rode off into the sunset.Now I go to Sam's and ask for the cheapest tire in the size I need.Never had a problem doing tires that way.Kelly tires and Cooper tires wouldn't be any problem driven locally but if most of my driving was interstate driving it would be safer with a name brand.

butbutbut... they R name brand. Fed certified for our hwys.
We ALL trust da gub-ment !

I still say: post #50, B diplomatic (the older woman, the current shop, possibly your own fav place). Relationship building has alot goin for it (human's 8 - 10K yrs methods since cities formed). It just been round 100 since it's began to fall apart (in usa)...

I know this is somewhat reviving an old thread, but I see nothing wrong with recommending new tires for an elderly person running 6+ year old tires.

Six years old is more or less the standard for replacing tires, and I don't see what they said as a scare tactic - no one can guarantee an older tire isn't going to separate/blow/etc

Safety first.
If Grandma's tires had usable tread left on 'em you can rest assured someone somewhere nearby got 'em through the pipeline..
People reach out for OK used tires.
Just hope Grandma got some consideration from the tire guy. That's all you can do.

Back