BMW Tire Rotation

Status
Not open for further replies.
over many years we have learned not to rotate tires on anything with wider/low profile rubber on it. You may get a darty or tramlining effect on certain roads. Doesn't just apply to particular makes or models.

If your car does not have issues there is absolutely no need for the rotation dance anyway. No one anywhere can prove longer tire life on a properly maintained vehicle. Some people just like tires to all wear out at once for convenience.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
If your car does not have issues there is absolutely no need for the rotation dance anyway. No one anywhere can prove longer tire life on a properly maintained vehicle. Some people just like tires to all wear out at once for convenience.

In practice, more frequent tire rotation reduces noise. I usually go by noise to see when is time to rotate. Also in practice, each corner of a car has different weight/alignment/spec/wear and tear that makes it impossible for all tires to wear the same, and rotation average out the best/worst part of each tires on each wheel. The side effect like you all said makes the car "handle funny".

How much gain vs how much loss, and whether it is worth it? That's a very personal decision.

you'll probably find that on a basic piece of transportation without large low profile tires you'll never notice the difference. Or as stated: it's very personal! Hey, it's your car and I SUPPORT your right to do whatever you want!

But on almost any car we have that has big tires rotation can immediately cause quirky handling.

And BTW, if the tires are too noisy, I just get different tires!

Just don't sell longer life, it just doesn't happen. Take a tire off one corner and move it and you just begin wearing it faster/ slower/differently based on your cars suspension setup/quirks. The other tire immediately begins wearing as the previous one did in that position. Result = NO GAIN.

If your car has balanced weight distribution (sorry FWD) and good parts you gain nothing by rotation except the convenience of needing all four at the same time.

I think placing a tire that has established a wear pattern on a different position accelerates wear until it beds-in.

exactly, it has to be broken in to it's new duties.

But if you're rotating to 'equalize wear' as most seem to, that same tire now begins wearing just like the one you removed.

A good example is our vans. Decades ago, we would rotate every 3-6k and found that NOT rotating gave us marginally longer tire life. This was due to the front heavy van wearing out the front tires faster than the rears.

So moving any tire to the front shortened it's life. No real gain.

It's more a matter of gaining the desired tread depth on whichever tires at whatever time of the year.

Sometimes I'll run a pair of tires in the front all summer so I can ditch them for 2 new ones in the fall. Sometimes I'll just move them to the rear, and take the ones from the rear that I "saved" for the front in winter.

I don't think 50/50% tread front / rear is best, I prefer more like 60% up front or more for the snow, so I can get moving, steer and stop better.

I got this fwd vehicle in summer and just rotated now. So, the dilemma is do I want to rotate the low ones from the back up front asap in spring so I can wear them out and get 2 new ones in fall, or to I just want to procede with 4 evenly worn tires, ALL with low tread next winter.

Do people follow?

Snow is the name of the game. In summer, I'll run on rags if it means saving good ones for fall. Wear rate is a lot higher on the hot pavement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back