Keeping the car level during ATF drain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming up on 30k after my 3x drain and fill last year on the Civic and I was going to try my hand at doing this myself. I notice the manual says to drain while the car is level. Well, I'm not sure how you are supposed to get the necessary leverage with the car level, the Civic isn't exactly offering a lot of clearance.

Does this really matter? I'm having a hard time picturing why it would. I was planning on putting the front end on ramps.

It does matter if you want to adjust fluid level.Front end on ramps and rear axle on jack stands, try to get it leveled as much as you probably can.That's what I did on my Sunfire which doesn't have much clearance either.I know it's not very comfy getting under a running car on stands.

GL

Last edited:
I use 2 jacks and 2 jackstands and a carpenters level. Works every time. Or simply measure what drains out and add the same back, run the car and bring it up to the correct amount when hot.
ACE hardware has quart and gallon graduated painters buckets for $2. Easy.

Last edited:
IF you have a driveway that slopes, put some ramps facing downhill and drive the vehicle up for a near level experience.

The Civics have easy-to-access lift points. Lift the car up, set each jackstand to about 5 clicks, and you will have plenty of room to work.

Originally Posted By: Azeem
It does matter if you want to adjust fluid level.
or you could just measure what you drain out instead.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
IF you have a driveway that slopes, put some ramps facing downhill and drive the vehicle up for a near level experience.

Yep. Or you can turn the steering wheel all the way to the right/left and you can get to the drain plug.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
or you could just measure what you drain out instead.

Well if you had faulty radiator like mine and was mixing tranny fluid and coolant then this is not going to be your best bet.

Mine turned out to be 2 quarts in excess, If my 4t40e survived then it is a phenomenal tranny.

Measuring is the safe bet but not 100% accurate means.

A lot of transmissions now have a check plug if there is no dipstick. Usually is that the fluid just barely dribbles out the hole on a level surface, you are good. If it is overfilled it will obviously pour out and underfilled well nothing will come out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back