Keep or buy used

It's almost always cheaper to fix the one you have in any situation.

10K cash is not going to get you a nicer newer van. Fix the transmission and put 5K back in your pocket. See if you can get a low cost replacement driver's seat from car-part or LKQ or something.

Around here 10K will get you a 12 year old Honda with 150K miles. Likely needs a timing belt and a bunch of other stuff. Also, people don't just get rid of old vans that run great. When they start acting up they get traded, then dumped at auction, then on sale at Crazy Jerry's used cars.

Not to mention vans are pulling a lot of weight around in a front wheel drive configuration and its pretty hard on them overall.

I have no inherent knowledge of Dodge vans, but if 5K gets you a new transmission, and the rest of the fan is in reasonable shape - if you get a couple more years you will have more than paid for itself. Or just keep nursing it along and maybe a deal or something will land in your lap.

Or you could spend $10K on an old van only to find out you need a transmission.

Both are hot garbage and no better than what you have, probably worse.
I’m not sure. We have a 14 odyssey with zero problems… though prior Honda ATs were known to fail. I’m not sure anyone really knows about the Kia vans from that era. We didn’t like it. Lots of flash but not as great underneath.

Simple solution:

Limp this van for a little while, and just get the Toyota (certified or new) You won;t be disappointed.
In the timeframe/age OP is talking about it not sure. Amongst friends those with siennas in this age range have had all sorts of issues and failures. And frankly the ergonoicst and design of The controls was poor.

If you don't think the 62te is a garbage transmission then you sir are poorly informed. This generation of van is pretty disappointing honestly. The older dodge cans with the 3.3/3.8 were way better in my opinion. Nothing was over dramatic it was completely honest .
Our local transmission shop said these transmissions usually start eating the torque converter between 80-100k miles and it contaminates the internal sensors and filter and eventually it self destructs.
Wait, you’re implying that a pentastar van is worse than the older engines models??!? Dubious.

A little maintenance on fluids would let you know if it was contaminated. If early enough, could a TC be done preemptively and not ruin the rest?

We have a 13 dodge Grand caravan. Anyone who knows much about these knows they have their fair share of flaws.
Ours has 123,000 miles on it. The transmission is starting to act up I imagine it'll likely need to replaced in the next 6 month or so. Seems pretty typical for the 62TE. A new trans from dodge is about $3800 plus labor. It would cost me about $5,000 to have the transmission replaced. Would you throw this kind of money at it? Has hail damage and needs front struts soon. Other than that the driver seat is broken down which is annoying and the power seat fuse blows a lot. We haven't had the all to common oil filter / cooler housing fail yet but seems like they all do eventually. Other than that it runs ok. I'm considering selling it as is and maybe spending $10k cash on a used van or do I put the 5k in this one and keep it? I'm not a huge fan of this van but want to make the best decision over all. My wife and I both drive cars to work and we split taking the kids to school and babysitter. We have five kids total. So we only use the van on weekends most of the time when we're all going somewhere together. This is why I don't want to buy a new van and have to finance something. They're a lot of money I'd rather buy a decent used van that's capable of doing weekends and family trip and things of that nature. Maybe a Kia Sedona or Honda Odyssey? Sienna would be great but they seem to very expensive even used. What do you guys think?
If you hate it, you hate it, there is that.

From a purely economics standpoint, you've (or someone) has taken this to 123k miles over the course of 10 years, or about 12k miles / year.
How many more years until the kids are driving themselves around or don't want to be seen with the parents anymore? I.E. how many years do you really need a minivan?

I'd not worry too much about the oil-filter/cooler. Have it done when you replace the plugs or replace the plugs when you have it done and call it the cost of doing business.

If you need the van for another 5 years, then get the work done and when your tribe is down to a smaller size, then choose a replacement.

You probably will not get as nice and known vehicle for the $5-6k you need to put into it.

Save money in the transmission replacement fund and replace it when it's needed.

Who knows, at your use rate, you might get another year or two from the existing transmission and then a used unit from the yard makes more sense.

It's good that you are looking forward. Sounds like the good thing is you don't need to do much immediately, so you can plan and prepare for a transmission should it be needed.

When that day arrives, then you can decide if rebuild or a used unit from grandma and grandpa's Caravan would take you through the remaining minivan years.

Best financial decision? As long as it isn’t rusty I’d do the repairs. Better to repair a van you know with a new transmission than buy a used $10k van with more or same miles with unknown questionable history. There’s no reason that van shouldn’t run 200,000. At your mileage rate that’s another 5.5 years of driving. Get a low mileage driver seat from a junkyard.

I put questionable stupid money into my Mazda at 150,000 and it hasn’t asked for a thing since at 180,000. I get it. It feels like throwing away money. Sometimes the devil you know is better than the devil you don’t. The used car market these days has really tipped the scales in favor of keeping what you’ve got (even more so for the high demand minivan market).

Last edited:
If you don't think the 62te is a garbage transmission then you sir are poorly informed. This generation of van is pretty disappointing honestly. The older dodge cans with the 3.3/3.8 were way better in my opinion. Nothing was over dramatic it was completely honest .
Now you're digging your heels in with advice contrary to what you've already decided. Who cares what a bunch of lunks online think? Do what you want.

We have a 13 dodge Grand caravan. Anyone who knows much about these knows they have their fair share of flaws.
Ours has 123,000 miles on it. The transmission is starting to act up I imagine it'll likely need to replaced in the next 6 month or so. Seems pretty typical for the 62TE. A new trans from dodge is about $3800 plus labor. It would cost me about $5,000 to have the transmission replaced. Would you throw this kind of money at it? Has hail damage and needs front struts soon. Other than that the driver seat is broken down which is annoying and the power seat fuse blows a lot. We haven't had the all to common oil filter / cooler housing fail yet but seems like they all do eventually. Other than that it runs ok. I'm considering selling it as is and maybe spending $10k cash on a used van or do I put the 5k in this one and keep it? I'm not a huge fan of this van but want to make the best decision over all. My wife and I both drive cars to work and we split taking the kids to school and babysitter. We have five kids total. So we only use the van on weekends most of the time when we're all going somewhere together. This is why I don't want to buy a new van and have to finance something. They're a lot of money I'd rather buy a decent used van that's capable of doing weekends and family trip and things of that nature. Maybe a Kia Sedona or Honda Odyssey? Sienna would be great but they seem to very expensive even used. What do you guys think?
I say that if you have maintained the rest of the vehicle, and you have tryed something to remediate the "failing transmission" such as change filter and fluid in pan.........then It might be worth fixing. Perhaps so lucas transmission fix also may help.

Get an full size SUV, your kids wont be kids forever

Sell it as is for $3500 immediately and buy another one and cross your fingers.

The transmission service with reman can be done for $4000 (great aunt had done Indy shop).

So get $3500 + save $4k in repair and maybe throw I. $3k-$5k.

Get an full size SUV, your kids wont be kids forever
A minivan is a far more efficient way of moving people and stuff around if you're not towing anything. The size of your kids has nothing to do with it.
Before you call me a hater, I drive a full size SUV, they use a lot of fuel. When fuel got near $5 a gallon it sat at home a lot. Prices are much better now but still, I can get upper 20s driving around the suburbs in my wife's car if driven conservatively or I can get 14 in my large SUV. If I drive the Navi aggressively, mileage drops to about 12.

I’m not sure. We have a 14 odyssey with zero problems… though prior Honda ATs were known to fail. I’m not sure anyone really knows about the Kia vans from that era. We didn’t like it. Lots of flash but not as great underneath.

In the timeframe/age OP is talking about it not sure. Amongst friends those with siennas in this age range have had all sorts of issues and failures. And frankly the ergonoicst and design of The controls was poor.

I find the Oddys around here tend to be abused pretty bad if they are bought used. Not sure why. I do like them though.

I find when it comes to buying vans in general, used seems to be a better plan ….

I must be out of touch on transmission rebuild costs.
What was the one last one you had rebuilt? One of the 3 or 4 speed units?

Not that I know either, as I've not had to have one rebuilt (yet). One of the reasons I got rid of my Tundra was the fear of what that sucker was going to cost if the trans ever gave up (ouch!).

Wait, you’re implying that a pentastar van is worse than the older engines models??!? Dubious.

A little maintenance on fluids would let you know if it was contaminated. If early enough, could a TC be done preemptively and not ruin the rest?
Yes I would say by 2003 or so that generation was figured out the 41te was a better transmission and the engines have less issues. The interiors were also better built. Not nicer looking but better quality materials. The 3.6 isn't a bad engine but in 2013 they still ate rocker arms which can be a big bill! The oil cooler is $1000 shop bill as well and the transmissions seem to fail pretty early. The interior quality is also pretty poor. The plastics around the lower seat the door, handle chrome peels and cuts your hand, the window regulators "chatter" when rolling up or down. The quality is just not there.🤷

I'm not a huge fan of this van but want to make the best decision over all. My wife and I both drive cars to work and we split taking the kids to school and babysitter. We have five kids total. So we only use the van on weekends most of the time when we're all going somewhere together.
Why not downsize to two vehicles (instead of three) and use the extra cash towards a better van.
You'll save on repairs, insurance etc.

30-40 years ago, the average American family would have ONE vehicle...that's it.
Regardless of the number of children in the family.

A minivan is a far more efficient way of moving people and stuff around if you're not towing anything. The size of your kids has nothing to do with it.
Before you call me a hater, I drive a full size SUV, they use a lot of fuel. When fuel got near $5 a gallon it sat at home a lot. Prices are much better now but still, I can get upper 20s driving around the suburbs in my wife's car if driven conservatively or I can get 14 in my large SUV. If I drive the Navi aggressively, mileage drops to about 12.
Oh OK, then drive the mini until the wheels fall off, and get you another one. It really comes down to whether YOU think the minivan is worth to fix or buy another that you like more.............I will give an example......

About 9 years ago, I was in the market for a 3\4 ton Suburban. I found what would be probably in the top 1% in condition, a 99 K2500 7.4 4x4 SLT. At the time, used cars were not as ridiculous as they are now......anyway I paid about 5000 over book for the truck becasue of its condition, records, and the like.......did I screw myself with paying a higher price? Well, at the time, a new one (2014) in the same trim was about $60000 and had a few creature comforts that my dinosaur GMT400 burb did not have, but a sixth of the price..........I still have the Burb to this day, and will likely never sell it, runs like a top, an without most of the BS in todays trucks. Did I get a good deal, or make the right choice, maybe.

If efficiency is the name of the game, and the size of the passengers dont matter, trade in the minivan and get a civic. If comfort and space plus efficiency is the name of the game............who knows.

Assuming the van is in good working order, and you OWN it, I suppose the "efficiency" has more to do with cost of operation than MPG.........bunch to decide. All and all, the Japanese makers you mentioned in your OP are "better" as far a reviews are concerned, but that is subjective I suppose.

The total cost I think is what efficiency is, not just the MPG. Is it worht buying a new van for 50K if you own the one you are in? NO! You can buy a bunch of gas for 50k..................sorry this might not be what you are looking for, but just my 2 cents.

Also not hating on minivan ownership, though I think that they have a niche and to me are about worthless in the grand scheme of things.

Why not downsize to two vehicles (instead of three) and use the extra cash towards a better van.
You'll save on repairs, insurance etc.

30-40 years ago, the average American family would have ONE vehicle...that's it.

Oh OK, then drive the mini until the wheels fall off, and get you another one. It really comes down to whether YOU think the minivan is worth to fix or buy another that you like more.............I will give an example......

About 9 years ago, I was in the market for a 3\4 ton Suburban. I found what would be probably in the top 1% in condition, a 99 K2500 7.4 4x4 SLT. At the time, used cars were not as ridiculous as they are now......anyway I paid about 5000 over book for the truck becasue of its condition, records, and the like.......did I screw myself with paying a higher price? Well, at the time, a new one (2014) in the same trim was about $60000 and had a few creature comforts that my dinosaur GMT400 burb did not have, but a sixth of the price..........I still have the Burb to this day, and will likely never sell it, runs like a top, an without most of the BS in todays trucks. Did I get a good deal, or make the right choice, maybe.

If efficiency is the name of the game, and the size of the passengers dont matter, trade in the minivan and get a civic. If comfort and space plus efficiency is the name of the game............who knows.

Assuming the van is in good working order, and you OWN it, I suppose the "efficiency" has more to do with cost of operation than MPG.........bunch to decide. All and all, the Japanese makers you mentioned in your OP are "better" as far a reviews are concerned, but that is subjective I suppose.

The total cost I think is what efficiency is, not just the MPG. Is it worht buying a new van for 50K if you own the one you are in? NO! You can buy a bunch of gas for 50k..................sorry this might not be what you are looking for, but just my 2 cents.

Also not hating on minivan ownership, though I think that they have a niche and to me are about worthless in the grand scheme of things.
My wife would love an SUV I'm not against them. My reasoning for predominantly searching for a van is they are much more affordable. They definitely cannot do all the things an SUV can but I don't have a need for towing or any of that I just need a practical family hauler that's why I have mostly only considered a minivan. That being said my wife showed me a suburban this morning it was an 05. 150,000 miles and looked immaculate. No rust which was hard to believe. Maintenance records the whole 9 yards. They are asking $9k. That was and is pretty tempting!

My wife would love an SUV I'm not against them. My reasoning for predominantly searching for a van is they are much more affordable. They definitely cannot do all the things an SUV can but I don't have a need for towing or any of that I just need a practical family hauler that's why I have mostly only considered a minivan. That being said my wife showed me a suburban this morning it was an 05. 150,000 miles and looked immaculate. No rust which was hard to believe. Maintenance records the whole 9 yards. They are asking $9k. That was and is pretty tempting!
SHHHHHHHHHHH............................an 05 in good condition for 9k, I would jump on that just like, well ..........you know..........

good luck as I have nothing more this subject

I'd just do a drain and fill of the transmission once or twice and be done with it. My ex had one of those and there were a bit of issues by 45k miles; including a rear main seal leak. I couldn't justify putting $5K into repairs for a vehicle that's only used as a weekend family hauler when you already have a full size SUV.

We're not living 30-40 years ago. Also, a quick google search pulls up facts. A difference of a mere 2%, maybe a max of 5% difference between now and 1980. Here's a separate BTS.GOV data link as well.

Back