Keep carbon buildup out of the engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no answer for this issue. Sad thing is the Auto Manufactures know there is a big issue with this. But they still keep producing DI engines without fixing the problem.

We will never buy another Auto with the DI engine. We have a Audi A4 now with the 2.0T with this issue.

Originally Posted By: -SyN-
I have no answer for this issue. Sad thing is the Auto Manufactures know there is a big issue with this. But they still keep producing DI engines without fixing the problem.

Yes it seems like the general public is still doing final testing for several automakers. IMO the jury is still out on DI. I'd rather take the hit for few HP and mpg and stick with FI. I don't need or want the hassle. Opinions vary.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: -SyN-

Yes it seems like the general public is still doing final testing for several automakers. IMO the jury is still out on DI. I'd rather take the hit for few HP and mpg and stick with FI. I don't need or want the hassle. Opinions vary.

I agree with you completely, I'm actually happy that we traded in the Optima with the 2.0T. They do seem to produce more power, but I would argue with better FE, at least in my experiences. Our 2.0T never got better than 30mpg highway and it was rated at 34. My MIL has a 2.4 DI Optima, which averaged 24.XX mpg while I had it for a week. Certainly some DI apps do achieve good FE, but I'll wait a while before I consider another DI vehicle.

Yes it seems like the general public is still doing final testing for several automakers.

Nuttin' new there, we always have and always will. As with any new tech some mfgr's seem to be a bit ahead of others...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Yes it seems like the general public is still doing final testing for several automakers.

Nuttin' new there, we always have and always will. As with any new tech some mfgr's seem to be a bit ahead of others...

Yep, I'd rather wait though. I keep reading about the problems, people asking and hoping for a cure, or prevention. Once that falls in line with the EFI cons I'd be more comfortable owning one. As always opinions vary.

Yep, I'd rather wait though. I keep reading about the problems, people asking and hoping for a cure, or prevention. Once that falls in line with the EFI cons I'd be more comfortable owning one. As always opinions vary.

Of course.

It's been this way since i bought my first car in the 60's. Back then we were always worried about anything new because they would simply add it in and watch the warranty claims. We did the work!

It still puzzles me that we have no definitive info on why some mfgrs seem to have no DI carbon issues and others do. I think it may be the first time I have seen this site unable to answer the question!

Of course.

It's been this way since i bought my first car in the 60's. Back then we were always worried about anything new because they would simply add it in and watch the warranty claims. We did the work!

It still puzzles me that we have no definitive info on why some mfgrs seem to have no DI carbon issues and others do. I think it may be the first time I have seen this site unable to answer the question!

You've got a point about no one having an answer. IMO the longevity issue is still a wildcard too. We really don't know how well these engines are going to hold up for the long haul with the fuel dilution issues some of them have as well as the carbon problems. The tech is still pretty new and we don't have a large population of them with high miles to really know for sure.

Does anybody still make a EFI engine car under $30K ? I'm in the market for a new car but don't want a DI engine at all ! Are all Honda Accords and Toyota Camry's DI only ?

Pure DI engines may not be around long due to soot and particulate emmisions regs. Some mfr's are going to (VW) or have already introduced (Toyota/Subaru) hybrid DI / port injection systems. You would have to research which specific models have this system. I know the Scion FRS / Subaru BRZ has the hybrid system. I read an article that Mopar is working on it. While it adds more complexity, it may resolve the carbon on the intake valve problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back