Kawasaki vs Alternate Brand

If you are going to follow factory recommendations for service, then you only need to change the filter every other oil change (or 200 hours). That cuts the cost in half, so just use the OEM filter.
I may continue using the OEM filters. The main purpose of this thread was to ask about the aftermarket filter that the parts desk sold me and if it is ok to use since I already have it. I may continue buying the OEM filter. I have been changing it at 100 hrs or once per season as it’s not very expensive. I could wait for 200 hrs. Each time I’ve drained the engine oil it is not black or very dirty looking. I think the most important thing to life of OPE is the air filter. Luckily this Toro has the large Donaldson canister setup.

Cut a filter open and see how dirty? On a 14 hp engine how dirty will it get? You could still ask the dealer about these filters they sold you even after this long.
Yeah I could call them. See my last post..the oil looks clean after 80-100 hrs oci. So far this engine hasn’t dirtied the oil very much each time. This is a 24 hp Kawasaki.

Your hydro drives should have filters as well, when you change those, you'll want to ensure they are made for hydraulic service
They do. I did the initial service at 75 hrs I think. I used the oem or hydro gear filters (can’t remember which) and the toro hyproil 500 fluid.

I may continue using the OEM filters. The main purpose of this thread was to ask about the aftermarket filter that the parts desk sold me and if it is ok to use since I already have it. I may continue buying the OEM filter. I have been changing it at 100 hrs or once per season as it’s not very expensive. I could wait for 200 hrs. Each time I’ve drained the engine oil it is not black or very dirty looking. I think the most important thing to life of OPE is the air filter. Luckily this Toro has the large Donaldson canister setup.
I realize this is an old post, but like you I own a riding mower with a FR691V Kawasaki engine. And judging by the 49065-0721 oil filter number on the box in your first post, it looks like my mower may take the same filter as yours. I bought this Ariens mower used from my neighbor, which he originally got at Lowes. So when I changed the oil and filter this fall I went back to Lowes instead of the local dealer. The Lowes store in my town carried Kawasaki brand oil filters that have the Kawasaki name and part number on the filter. So I thought you might want to know to check a local Lowes store some day if you are still interested in using the OEM filter. FYI, my owners manual says to change the oil at 100 hours, or annually, whichever comes first. Like you I change it every season too. My mower is 3 years old but only has 40 hours on the meter. :)

Back