karcher k2 pressure washer..damaged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a 5 year old Karcher K2.26 pressure washer, it's light duty at 1600 psi max. Last year it started surging, with less than original pressure delivery. I did my investigation and feel that the HP cylinder head should be replaced. I took apart the unit and got the cylinder head off.

No biggie so far, set the unit on its side on my workbench, and came back 2 minutes later to find that all the oil from the wobble plate & geartrain had leaked out !! Taking the cylinder head off caused the o-ring seal on the gearbox / wobble plate to be popped open - my newbie to pressure washers boo boo.

The oil leaked down the side of the gearbox case...the oil got into the electric motor and all over the outer casing. Here's my dilemma:

1. If I clean off the oil from the electric motor, I might have damaged the windings, especially if the cleaning affects the resin coating on copper windings? Am I being too worried about this?
2. I would need to replace the HP cylinder head anyways, this is about $50 CAD + $8 CAD for some new 15W40 synthetic oil, but I could expect that a suitable replacement pressure washer would be $200 CAD

Replace unit? or try to clean and repair?

Yeah buy a new one. Dont waste your time on such a cheap unit. Its not like its a fully rebuildable, high quality commercial unit that you can keep going with minimal maintenance parts for 25 years.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Yeah buy a new one. Dont waste your time on such a cheap unit. Its not like its a fully rebuildable, high quality commercial unit that you can keep going with minimal maintenance parts for 25 years.

+1 Or longer.
wink.gif

Yeah slick deals always has pressure washer deals. I bought my 1600psi on clearance for $25

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Karcher makes junk and should be avoided.

if I am looking for a light duty unit, what brand is better?

Originally Posted by Driz
Get something 2800-3000 psi. You'll never regret it,

but that is Gas and the OP wants electric.

Sun Joe on clearance is what I would buy.. or anything on clearance at $50 or cheaper.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Karcher makes junk and should be avoided.

if I am looking for a light duty unit, what brand is better?

Anything else that you can get parts for. Not any store brand either (I'm looking at you Husky).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back