K&P Reusable 35 Micron "Rock Catcher" Oil Filter. Fleet Conversion Complete!

Upright/vertical is a common misunderstanding.
There is plenty of oil in the engine that can drain back thru an upright/vertical filter.
Gravity surprises many. The way the filter mounts has NOTHING to do with needing or not needing an ADBV.

The only place where an ADBV isn't needed is when the engine manufacturer doesn't call for it.

Upright/vertical is a common misunderstanding.
There is plenty of oil in the engine that can drain back thru an upright/vertical filter.
Gravity surprises many. The way the filter mounts has NOTHING to do with needing or not needing an ADBV.

The only place where an ADBV isn't needed is when the engine manufacturer doesn't call for it.
Interesting.... I did not know that. Well I know for a fact that even using filters with ADBV, on the Subaru, regardless of what brand I used, the oil would still leak by the ADBV if sitting overnight. Thus the reason I got the Baxter Performance ADBV adapter. It retains all of the oil in the filter.

Hi dezipwr,

Fascinating product. I too have a Subaru, a 2021 Forester. Whenever I change my oil and remove the filter, I have to put a paper towel between the filter and the surrounding wall to catch the oil that drains out. The guy in the video showed no oil comes out.
What was your experience with your Subaru? Thank you!

Hi dezipwr,

Fascinating product. I too have a Subaru, a 2021 Forester. Whenever I change my oil and remove the filter, I have to put a paper towel between the filter and the surrounding wall to catch the oil that drains out. The guy in the video showed no oil comes out.
Old trick for oil filters mounted vertically with the base down. Before removing the oil filter, punch a small hole in the dome while the engine is draining the hot oil. The oil filter will drain out better with a breather hole in the top. I've used this trick on RX7s and on my Tacoma, all having a vertical, base down filter.

Hi dezipwr,

Very little oil came out when I changed my oil filters. What you are describing is what should be normal.🤙 I did not see that unfortunately, so I went with the Baxter unit. It also allows you to run a much larger oil filter than stock.😎

I've considered using one like this as it comes as part of a popular aux. oil cooler kit for one of my cars (someone linked a thread i started about it above). Many that use them with that kit have 2 filters and alternate them each change to make it easier w/r to cleaning them during oil changes.

Hi dezipwr,

Not my video, but my experience was the same as he shows in the video over two oil changes. I, too, now run a Baxter adaptor on my Subaru.

Not my video, but my experience was the same as he shows in the video over two oil changes. I, too, now run a Baxter adaptor on my Subaru.

The ADBV is obviously working. That engine needs a filter with the "anti-siphon" check valve in the center tube, which may help keep the oil from the center tube and the galleries on the clean side of the filter from siphoning out. Hard to say how much oil beyond the filter mount has drained out of the engine's oiling system and back to the sump.

The ADBV is obviously working. That engine needs a filter with the "anti-siphon" check valve in the center tube, which may help keep the oil from the center tube and the galleries on the clean side of the filter from siphoning out. Hard to say how much oil beyond the filter mount has drained out of the engine's oiling system and back to the sump.

yep, that's what the Baxter adaptor does.

Back