K&N Silver Cartridge Oil filter

I bought a K&N filter from Amazon, item description simply said "K&N Premium Oil Filter" so I assumed it would be decent quality, or a rebox of another reputable filter.

How wrong I was. The filter came packaged as "K&N Performance Silver" which is clearly their budget line. I was not impressed, no markings on the filter whatsoever, very cheap media and end caps (this is a cartridge application for Kia/Hyundai 3.3L engines). Rockauto's Ultrapower budget brand is a better filter, IMO. Even the package of the K&N looks poorly done with pixelated graphics.

One thing I can't find anywhere on the filter or box is a country of origin? Is it legal to sell a product without that information?

Amazon seller was "K&N Store" so I have to assume this is a genuine filter, just their very cheap model and they use their name to jack up the price.

I seriously hate these cartridge filters, they charge 3X as much and selection is very limited compared to a standard can filter. /endrant

Last edited:
cof3.jpg

cof1.jpg

cof2.jpg

IMG_2469.jpg

I'm sure it's a serviceable oil filter, but when compared to other filters I've used that were cheaper, this is bottom of the barrel. You can tell the difference as soon as you pick it up. So they're charging premium price for the K&N name.

The pics don't do it justice, it looks like any old oil filter. It becomes evident as soon as you pick it up or compare it to another filter in the same price range. I'll stick it on postage scale as soon as I buy another to compare the weight. I bet it weighs half as much, the material used (in all areas of the filter) is half as thick as other cheap filters I've used on this vehicle.

I have 'some' experience with cartridge filters, the K&N looks fine to me. Reminds me a lot of the Mahle made Hyun/Kia OEM Cartridge for the 3.3L engine. Could be the same cartridge.

Thanks for the pics. Lesson learned. I'd run it for one 3-4k oil change and then never buy these again. Another reason I stick with Fram Ultra.

Back