K&N Select vs Premium Did I Waste My $$$

I always thought K&N was a good brand name. I got mine at Walmart and they were white with a nut on the bottom. Then I noticed they switched to black. I didn't think much of it until now. It appears as if there is a Select and a Premium.
2003 Suburban 5.3,. I am doing an oil change and wanted to get opinions if I wasted my money and should get a premium filter instead of the Walmart Select? I am concerned about flow rate and restrictions and obviously filtering. I use my Suburban as a work vehicle and for some RV towing.
Select filter is in place, but not filled yet, now is the time to change if there is any major quality difference.
Open to alternatives around 15.00 price range.
I change oil every 5-10k.

Select filter is in place, but not filled yet, now is the time to change if there is any major quality difference.
You can't remove it and return it at this point. Well, you can I suppose but that would be a pretty crappy thing to do.... The filter will be fine.

I wouldn't return it, I hate when people do that and I am on the receiving end. I would sacrifice it.
For the sake of 10.00 I would rather have peace of mind knowing I put a decent filter in place.

Many people have their own favorites, but for "me", I like the Fram Ultra.

Ed

Attachments

• Fram Ultra filter efficiency test results.jpg
    Fram Ultra filter efficiency test results.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 139
Honestly, it probably won't make a difference.
In other words, the car will not explode or do something catastrophic unless the drain plug or filter let loose accidentally.

I used to use K&N panel filters in everything. Never had a problem or bad UOA while doing so. I just don't want to pay $60 for a filter anymore.

Looks like I put this in the wrong forum, sorry. I don't know how to move it.
I told a mod to move it to Oil Filters. The K&N Selects I bought from Walmart in the last year were Champ made Ecores, synthetic blend media, unfortunately NEITHER K&N nor Champ would provide any efficiency info on them-they were only ~$4 each. Without any info, at all, I wouldn’t pay any more for them; and, the white (Premium) ones with the nut are an unsafe crack & rust-prone design-a ticking time bomb of a filter (IMO)!

I am concerned about flow rate ...
I've never seen a new oil filter that is restrictive enough to make the engine notice it. If the PD oil pump is completely shot, it may show a difference, but on a healthy oiling system a new oil filter is only about 1/15 as restrictive as the rest of the oiling system. The PD oil pump will overcome any +/- 2 PSI delta-p vs flow between all the oil filters out there.

Open to alternatives around 15.00 price range.
If you don't want to worry about delta-p, efficiency, holding capacity, rated mileage, and you're will spend around $15 then go get a Fram Titanium at Advance Auto Parts.

It seems one can obtain the same as the Champ made K&N OFs for significantly less by buying an OF like the current Super Tech MP series filter.

Back