K&N select dry filter ( pics)

I have 200k on my K&N on my 98 BMW M3 with no problem. Have cleaned it 3 times. People clean them too much. The car did the miles mostly in CA and then CO. So not dusty conditions. I have other cars that I run regular dealer air filters for 70-80k miles with no problem. However if I live in dusty conditions I probably wouldn’t run a K&N.

I believe in several of my posts in the long K&N threads over the years here I've commented that I live in an area that is low dust (I don't drive on dirt roads very often and overall the mid-Atlantic suburbs aren't like some of the western states) and that for folks living in high dust areas these may not be the way to go. For my vehicles with K&N filters (all of them now), I've typically gone ~50K before a clean/re-oil. On the other end of this dicussion, I don't believe I've ever seen a post here by those that tell folks not to use these filters that for normal day to day driving in a low dust area with a properly maintained and fitting filter, your UOA SiO2 results will look normal - it's important to acknoweldge that point as well when folks chime in to these threads. The poster above with the 900+ppm SiO2 reading clearly has something else going on there beyond just running a K&N air filter..it had to be not seated correctly or something else egregious w/r to maintenance etc. The only elevated SiO2 readings I've gotten in my cars that I do UOAs on are from 1) repairs when sealer was used that contacted the oil and 2) HPL oil that has quite a bit more SiO2 in the VOA than other Euro oils I've used.
Perhaps you can explain why making only ONE change, back to an OEM filter, lowered the Si counts to normal. I'm not trying to personally attack you nor am I trying to derail this thread off topic, but at your request I can happily PM you the UOA reports. This HAPPENED, although I do admit your results may vary. My results were not any sort of large scale scientific study at all, nor did I claim they were, but most people care about results on their vehicles. I'm no different. We can agree to disagree and I'm fine with that. I stand by everything I've posted, and I disagree with your statement.

Perhaps you can explain why making only ONE change, back to an OEM filter, lowered the Si counts to normal. I'm not trying to personally attack you nor am I trying to derail this thread off topic, but at your request I can happily PM you the UOA reports. This HAPPENED, although I do admit your results may vary. My results were not any sort of large scale scientific study at all, nor did I claim they were, but most people care about results on their vehicles. I'm no different. We can agree to disagree and I'm fine with that. I stand by everything I've posted, and I disagree with your statement.
There are several questions here:

1) did you have any other engine work where SiO2 sealers were used for that interval? I have had spikes in my SiO2 from these but nothing like triple digits...more like going from a normal value of 2) what are the conditions that it was driven in? That's a HUGE number and I've seen lots of UOAs and the only time I've seen big big SiO2 numbers is when there was a sealing issue on the intake track.

This isn't about agreeing to disagree, it's about getting all the info. Lots of folks run these sorts of filters and I've never seen any issues like you are talking about.

There are several questions here:

1) did you have any other engine work where SiO2 sealers were used for that interval? I have had spikes in my SiO2 from these but nothing like triple digits...more like going from a normal value of 2) what are the conditions that it was driven in? That's a HUGE number and I've seen lots of UOAs and the only time I've seen big big SiO2 numbers is when there was a sealing issue on the intake track.

This isn't about agreeing to disagree, it's about getting all the info. Lots of folks run these sorts of filters and I've never seen any issues like you are talking about.
Generally speaking, no one but me services my vehicles, but this vehicle was being used by my son during this time period. He was attending Southwest Baptist University in Bolivar, MO. We live in a southwest suburb of St. Louis MO, a 3 1/2 to 4 hour trip away. The vehicle was NOT "convenient" for me to work on at the time, this was several years ago, as I recollect, he had issues with his power steering and I told him to take it to a local dealer for repair; it was a gm 3100 engine with aluminum intake, NOT the (notorious) 3800 (known for intake issues). To the best of my knowledge, no one but me disturbed the intake air system or changed filters.
Bolivar MO is a small college town in southwest MO, and I DOUBT there was any major construction project (dusty conditions) in progress at the time. I don't know if he visited friends locally who lived on gravel roads, but even if he did, I can't see it being an explanation for the stratospherically high Si counts. I blame the K&N filter, it was the only change made, and an OEM filter installed brought the Si counts to a normal range.

i don't like k&n filters, seen too many dusty intakes on cars running them. cars that use paper filters and usually clean in the intake, and the one that wasn't clean in the intake had a hole in the hose from the filter to the TB. i live in Arizona, sometimes there's literal dust storms where the dirt blocks out the sun.

I've never had an issue with any K&N filters we've used since their inspection. However as of late, our fuel economy has been dropping or remaining lower than expected. I suspect we'll have to give up the K&N for one week and run the OE filter to see if there any improvement. But I've never heard of a dry filter. Is this something new?

Back