K&N oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received this from K&N about their oil filters. Can this be true, that a filter can flow this much and still have a 90% efficiency rating at 10 microns?

Our oil filters would be considered high flow and high capacity. They flow 12 - 16 GPM depending on size and trap / hold 90% more debris than standard filters. This translates into a life of 6,000 miles. (We do recommend you follow your manufacturers oil change intervals). They have a 550 PSI burst strength which is more than double that of standard filters. This makes them suitable for all racing applications. They filter down to 10 microns with a 90% efficiency rating (cumulative). No initial pass data is available but that is not a real world test either. Oil needs to flow without restriction or the purpose of the filter is mute. The inner filter media has metal end caps to ensure no debris can get back into the system. They have anti-drain back valves and pressure relief valves. On the end, there is a 1" nut for easy removal. This nut is drilled through to allow the use of a safety wire; great for off road racing.

The 90% efficiency rating is not at 10 microns though. It's simply the multipass rating, which uses a mixture of dirt closer to 20 microns I believe. These filters are very good, I'm using one on my wife's car and one is going on my Firebird on the next change.

I was very impressed with the thickness of the casing on the K&N, so I bought one. I am starting to wonder if it is overkill though, it is that much better than a Bosch Premium? -Joe

Interesting point Patman-it does dound like weasel words. I'd like to think that it is 90% efficient for a 10 micron particle. But again- for me its the strength and flow combined with decent filtration.

Also, a lot of people think the nut on the end is a gimmick, but it works! It makes it so easy to remove the filter, especially in hard to reach filters such as on my wife's Honda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back