K&N#HP-2011, 6,000 miles CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off of a 2015 F-150 4x4 pickup with 5.0 v-8 engine and I think friend said had 5w30 Carquest Synthetic. Put EDGE 5w30 and FRAM ULTRA #10575 in and on. Truck has almost 71k already on odometer.

Filter looks ok I'd say, I'm not impressed with K&N though

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Looks nicely built.

I'm a firm believer in using any brand filter for minimum 15K miles.

Yeah, I guess this filter could go 10k possibly, I recall reading some bad stuff about K&N filters a while back. Didn't the nut on the end of some filters rust off?

Very good job here Captain. These are solidly built but the efficiency is not as strong as it should be given the $$$ they cost.

Nice filter, just overpriced. Thanks for the C&P.

Thank you car51 You always do good cut and good pictures. I appreciate your efforts

That is a well built filter. For the money I would probably run it 10k miles

I wish more filter companies would put the nut on the top.. thats handy.. It seems every time I try to remove my oil filter I rip my hand open. LOL
I need a good filter wrench...

Originally Posted By: wymi516
Thanks for filter cut! Who makes this filter?

I don't know that answer and couldn't give educated guess. Possibly Champion Labs?....

That is a Mexican made K&N but I do not know what manufacturer is making it for them down there?

Looks great to me. Solid construction and i, for one, like the welded on nut.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
That is a Mexican made K&N but I do not know what manufacturer is making it for them down there?

It's made by K&N, they built a plant in Mexico.

They used to be built by champion labs but it's been at least a few years since then. They are still similar to the champion labs design but the media is cheapen now.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Hootbro

It's made by K&N, they built a plant in Mexico.

They used to be built by champion labs but it's been at least a few years since then. They are still similar to the champion labs design but the media is cheapen now.

Unfortunately, that is not accurate.

K&N purchases from a stateside source who gets the product via a Mexican manufacturer. However...not all the K&N product comes from there. K&N is triple sourced at the moment on the HP line. Champ still produces about 1/3 to 1/2 of the skus and the rest are from Korea and Mexico. The PS line comes from the Korean source as well...this includes all the cartridges.

The quality/efficiency claim that got started here a few years back is very trumped up. The efficiency ratings of the K&N had some hiccups in the beginning, but were addressed and now would be more in line with what the general consumer expects. I'm not saying they're uber filters, but they're not what people keep droning on about here the last few years.

Are they overpriced? That's the consumers call...but are they still this 80% efficiency rating that everyone quotes as gospel...no they are not...

Originally Posted By: Hannibal

Are they overpriced? That's the consumers call...but are they still this 80% efficiency rating that everyone quotes as gospel...no they are not...

So-then what is the Efficiency Rating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back