K&N filter sizing for LT1 engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Camaro with the LT1 engine and have been using the K&N 3002 oil filter This filter is subtantialy larger (longer) than the standard filter HP 2002 also offered for this engine.

In all the testing i've read about comparing various brands of filters including the K&N - they did not include an oversized one like this one i have been using. Therefore, with it being larger and therefore more filter media and able to hold more oil - would this not enable this filter to clean (filter) the oil better?

I have not found another brand with this larger size option, they all seem to be the standard size.

In trying to decide on another brand of filter - i find it difficult to change from K&N - even thought they are pricey.

Loris:
I run a number of oversize filters in my '95 LT1.

I've tried these

Mobil M1-302 (about the same as the K&N 3002)
Purolator L34631 (big)
Purolator L40084 (really big, may poke below oil pan or headers)

Good luck!

No the larger size has nothing to do with the level of filtration or it's ability to filter the oil. It does allow your cechiles oil circuit to hold a little more oil and it will allow allow the filter to hold more junk. I would not imagine a Corvette would require more oil capacity or the ability to hold more junk. So a really larger filter in this case is not helping or hurting anything just make sure the filter is not too long. Many a Camro have had engine failures from over sized oil filters getting crunched by drive ways and such that had just a slight incline or a drastic difference between drive way and road like a down hill or up hill road but a level and drive way that is 90° tot he road and steep you follow me! They would hit get damaged and start cming apart and boom engine dead!

The only way I would run a larger then stock filter on a car that sits as low to the cround as your is if the filter is tucked up some place onthe side of the engine not facing down or if the filter was wider but not longer! I have not seen your application so I cannot say for sure but it is worth checking!

Also while it shouldnot be a problem some have said that the increased weight of larger filters can damage the filter adapter on some domestic applications because they make them from such thin and low grade aluminum. Never had it happen to me but was warned about it on this very board years ago when I owned a Dodge Dakota and ran an over sized filter.

I do not think you are correct about the level of filtration. Would this be true?
More media == less flow per square inch
Less flow == more chances to "capture" particles.

I saw pictures on bitog somewhere yesterday (I have not been able to find it again today) where someone took oil filters of several brands and cut them open. Then they did a test using talcum powder in light oil to see how much the filter removed the powder from the oil. The oil was collected and allowed to sit in tall thin plastic tubes. The powder separated out and collected at the bottom after several days.

The K&N was clearly the best filter followed by a close second of the WIX NAPA GOLD. Actually both of these filters were very good showing very little getting by them. The other filters tested showed much more getting through.

One would think that if the filter has smaller passages there would be more restriction to flow for a given surface area, (even with a new clean filter). Therefore it stands to reason that in order to have the same flow ability with the same pressure drop that a larger surface area would be required. Hence a larger filter to hold the larger surface area.

However the above reply talking of the problems caused by a filter hitting the ground are obvious a major concern.

JimPghPa

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I saw pictures on bitog somewhere yesterday (I have not been able to find it again today) where someone took oil filters of several brands and cut them open. Then they did a test using talcum powder in light oil to see how much the filter removed the powder from the oil. The oil was collected and allowed to sit in tall thin plastic tubes. The powder separated out and collected at the bottom after several days.

The K&N was clearly the best filter followed by a close second of the WIX NAPA GOLD. Actually both of these filters were very good showing very little getting by them. The other filters tested showed much more getting through.

One would think that if the filter has smaller passages there would be more restriction to flow for a given surface area, (even with a new clean filter). Therefore it stands to reason that in order to have the same flow ability with the same pressure drop that a larger surface area would be required. Hence a larger filter to hold the larger surface area.

However the above reply talking of the problems caused by a filter hitting the ground are obvious a major concern.

JimPghPa

You've got it backwards.

The K&N was the WORST filter, letting more Talcum through. Followed by the WIX. The Denso did better than both, and the clear winner was the Purolator PureONE.

the stock AC PF52 on a 95 Vette LT1 is about as long as you can go. Any longer, and it will hang below the exhaust pipes. Any wider and it will hit the exhaust pipes.
FWIW Filter is located between the exhaust pipes---nice design--- you get an oil warmer at no extra charge

Steve

Originally Posted By: steve20
the stock AC PF52 on a 95 Vette LT1 is about as long as you can go. Any longer, and it will hang below the exhaust pipes. Any wider and it will hit the exhaust pipes.

On an LT1 f-body the longer filter works just fine though. I ran the K&N HP3002 on my old LT1 Firebird Formula for years with no problems at all. The longer filter didn't hang down too low at all on that car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back