K&N filter equivalent help

Right now, I am running a K&N filter in my 98 Trans Am. The part number is 33-2035. It came with the aftermarket Ram Air hood and airbox kit that I purchased for the car. The K&N filter lists for mid 90's Corvettes and Trans Am WS6s. I was considering going back to a paper filter. I did a cross reference to the K&N part and found several suspected matches. Then I discovered a problem. The K&N filter measures 1.06in in height. I purchased two different ACDelco filters, A1097C and A1097CF, and found out that both are around 1.50in in height, even though they are the same width and length. They will not fit in the airbox that I have in the car. Looked further at other brands and found around the same heights. I cannot find one that is the same height as the K&N. Any advice and/or help?

Right now, I am running a K&N filter in my 98 Trans Am. The part number is 33-2035. It came with the aftermarket Ram Air hood and airbox kit that I purchased for the car. The K&N filter lists for mid 90's Corvettes and Trans Am WS6s. I was considering going back to a paper filter. I did a cross reference to the K&N part and found several suspected matches. Then I discovered a problem. The K&N filter measures 1.06in in height. I purchased two different ACDelco filters, A1097C and A1097CF, and found out that both are around 1.50in in height, even though they are the same width and length. They will not fit in the airbox that I have in the car. Looked further at other brands and found around the same heights. I cannot find one that is the same height as the K&N. Any advice and/or help?
pics can help.

What's wrong with the K+N?

If the filter is OK, and you don't live in a dusty environment, just renew the filter and use it.

I run K+N's on everything. Here in Florida, we don't have a lot of dust, sandy conditions or dirty air. I've gotten more miles from my vehicles than just about anybody I know. The thought that the K+N will ruin your engine is generally not correct. Even Baja racers use K+N filters, but they do use an over-wrap that keeps sand out.

The aftermarket Ram Air hood I have brings the air in through the top of the box. The set up is similar to what the mid 90s WS6 Trans Am had. The OEM box for the 98 and up Trans Ams bring air in through the bottom of the box, so they are different and the OEM would not work with the hood. The main reason I was thinking of going to paper style panel filter is gunking up the MAF with the filter oil, although I have never oiled heavy in the past and never had any problems (knock on wood). And it is not run in dusty areas. Not my car, but this is the same setup.

Attachments

• 1619325492892.jpg
    1619325492892.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 20
I guess the main part of my issue/question is why the difference in heights in the filters. Would that mean with the K&N being shorter, it would not fit right in the cars it was actually listed for?

Have you contacted K&N with your question(s)?

The aftermarket Ram Air hood I have brings the air in through the top of the box. The set up is similar to what the mid 90s WS6 Trans Am had. The OEM box for the 98 and up Trans Ams bring air in through the bottom of the box, so they are different and the OEM would not work with the hood. The main reason I was thinking of going to paper style panel filter is gunking up the MAF with the filter oil, although I have never oiled heavy in the past and never had any problems (knock on wood). And it is not run in dusty areas. Not my car, but this is the same setup.
Gunking up your MAF - spend some time watching these videos...it's much more challenging than folks make it out to be. Some great info here:

What's wrong with the K+N?

If the filter is OK, and you don't live in a dusty environment, just renew the filter and use it.

I run K+N's on everything. Here in Florida, we don't have a lot of dust, sandy conditions or dirty air. I've gotten more miles from my vehicles than just about anybody I know. The thought that the K+N will ruin your engine is generally not correct. Even Baja racers use K+N filters, but they do use an over-wrap that keeps sand out.
Run them in all of my vehicles as well with no drama.

Back