Justin Bieber sells music rights for $200 million

Artists that kinda drifted off into, or mostly into, obscurity from when I was young(er):
A decent number of those are still around and doing either real well or "okay". RHCP and Dave Mathews Band are still pretty popular and I know others are still touring and presumably putting out new music. Others have simply broken up....

A lot of popsters seem to have evolved from first being actors or studio/record label creations. Hard rock bands seem to have evolved from actual bands who started out playing in their parents' living rooms, and kept evolving.
That Disney Channel thing seemed to spawn quite a few of these. Weren't Britney and Christina both on that? Later, there were some other shows that featured Ariana Grande (Sam and Kat, Victorious) that pre-date her current career.

I know I've mentioned it before, but Jason Hook, formerly of Five Finger Death Punch, was the guitar player for Mandy Moore when they decided that she was a singer now!

A decent number of those are still around and doing either real well or "okay". RHCP and Dave Mathews Band are still pretty popular and I know others are still touring and presumably putting out new music. Others have simply broken up....
Yeah, I didn't mention any where the lead singer caught the dead like Nirvana, Blind Melon, Stone Temple Pilots...etc I also noted that I'm sure some are still touring but many have indeed drifted off into the ether.

My point was simply that you could take that list and add how many more bands and singers from that era? Those who simply faded into obscurity despite being wildly popular at the time. I likened the Biebs to many of the Boy Bands from that period, which I doubt anybody is waxing nostalgic about 20-30 years later. Just seems to be the nature of the genre.

Yeah, I didn't mention any where the lead singer caught the dead like Nirvana, Blind Melon, Stone Temple Pilots...etc I also noted that I'm sure some are still touring but many have indeed drifted off into the ether.

My point was simply that you could take that list and add how many more bands and singers from that era? Those who simply faded into obscurity despite being wildly popular at the time. I likened the Biebs to many of the Boy Bands from that period, which I doubt anybody is waxing nostalgic about 20-30 years later. Just seems to be the nature of the genre.
Yep, a lot of pop acts are "manufactured" in the boardroom. The brainchild of record label corporate execs, complete with anonymous studio bands backing them up.

Think so? My daughter was a Biebs fan, doesn't listen to him anymore, neither do her friends from what I hear. Pop doesn't seem to have the staying power, even with multiple hits, that other genres seem to.

What bands from your youth do you still listen to now? Now consider, what bands from your youth you've not listened to since.

Artists that kinda drifted off into, or mostly into, obscurity from when I was young(er):
- Alanis Morrisette
- Smashing Pumpkins
- Red Hot Chilli Peppers
- Aqua
- No Doubt
- Bush
- Matchbox 20
- Dave Matthews Band
- Matthew Good Band
- Blur
- Oasis
- Silverchair
- 3 Doors Down
- Our Lady Peace
- Nada Surf
- Moist
- Live
- Garbage
- Everclear
- Breaking Benjamin
- Big Wreck
- Big Sugar
- Amanda Marshall
- Ace of Base
- Backstreet Boys
- N-Sync
- Beck
- Blink 182
- Britney Spears
- The Goo Goo Dolls

I'm sure we could list many, MANY more. Is Christina Aguilera still active?

Some of them are only one or two hit wonders, sure. Others have many albums. I'm sure many are still performing, but they aren't headlining shows like Metallica who pre-dates the lot of them and is still making new music.

Growing up with Much Music and MTV, we were regularly exposed to a huge variety of music from all kinds of artists ranging from well established to up and coming, they even had an Indie segment. But at least for me personally, from that huge list of popular artists/bands from that period, the list of what I choose to listen to regularly decades later is much shorter.

"Bullet with Butterfly Wings" by the Smashing Pumpkins has to be one of the most over-played songs of all time, aired many times a day during that period. I heard it more than enough times then. I'd rather jump-rope naked when it's -30 with the rope on fire and somebody shooting roman candles at me than listen to anything by Alanis Morrisette.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, lol. But, I tend to think of the Biebs as somebody with similar appeal to the Boy Bands from that period, like the Backstreet Boys, and I don't know anybody of my generation who gets nostalgic and decides to roll-out "Backstreet's back", lol :p
Breaking Benjamin is definitely still around. I think the smashing pumpkins are giving it another go around. I miss a chunk of the bands that you listed. Many of them ended up in music production/management after their band days.

Yep, a lot of pop acts are "manufactured" in the boardroom. The brainchild of record label corporate execs, complete with anonymous studio bands backing them up.
Yeah - Rock is way too difficult because the Marshall amps take up the whole board room 😳

He’ll be broke before 40 years ago. But he has probably partied more than all of us combined.

I don’t know if he will be broke but he seems aware of his cash burn….. unlike Britney Spears.

Britney is going to be similar to Michael Jackson.

I love that the Monkees, created by NBC for a TV show of the same name, was dubbed, "The Fab Four"; with the 'fab' meaning fabricated.
They tired of playing "teeny bopper" songs written by other people and dissolved.
I wouldn't call that smart on their part. How those guys fared is unimportant to me.

How does anyone know JB's cash burn rate? I also heard tattoo ink can paralyze your face....so be careful.

Also, I'd like to know what percentage of stars from '20's, '30's and '40's Hollywood actually did blow through all their income.
"They all lost it due to booze and gambling" is what I heard growing up. I had to conclude they were all imbeciles...I was just a kid.

Chico Marx said he lost $4,000,000 gambling.
When asked how he knew the amount so precisely, he answered, "Because that's how much Harpo has in the bank".

I had the pleasure of speaking with Mary Martin (famous actress) and she mentioned living on a ranch in South America.
I've long forgotten which country. Knowing nothing about her situation, I assumed she bought a nice, affordable hunk of land.
Are animals or crops raised there? Is there other income generating potential? She struck me as being sharp.

Smart is good....smart and sharp is better. However, smart, sharp and smart/sharp friends/guidance is what you need in this world.

Think so? My daughter was a Biebs fan, doesn't listen to him anymore, neither do her friends from what I hear. Pop doesn't seem to have the staying power, even with multiple hits, that other genres seem to.

What bands from your youth do you still listen to now? Now consider, what bands from your youth you've not listened to since.

- Alanis Morrisette
- Smashing Pumpkins
- Red Hot Chilli Peppers
- Aqua
- No Doubt
- Bush
- Matchbox 20
- Dave Matthews Band
- Matthew Good Band
- Blur
- Oasis
- Silverchair
- 3 Doors Down
- Our Lady Peace
- Nada Surf
- Moist
- Live
- Garbage
- Everclear
- Breaking Benjamin
- Big Wreck
- Big Sugar
- Amanda Marshall
- Ace of Base
- Backstreet Boys
- N-Sync
- Beck
- Blink 182
- Britney Spears
- The Goo Goo Dolls

I'm sure we could list many, MANY more. Is Christina Aguilera still active?

Some of them are only one or two hit wonders, sure. Others have many albums. I'm sure many are still performing, but they aren't headlining shows like Metallica who pre-dates the lot of them and is still making new music.

Growing up with Much Music and MTV, we were regularly exposed to a huge variety of music from all kinds of artists ranging from well established to up and coming, they even had an Indie segment. But at least for me personally, from that huge list of popular artists/bands from that period, the list of what I choose to listen to regularly decades later is much shorter.

"Bullet with Butterfly Wings" by the Smashing Pumpkins has to be one of the most over-played songs of all time, aired many times a day during that period. I heard it more than enough times then. I'd rather jump-rope naked when it's -30 with the rope on fire and somebody shooting roman candles at me than listen to anything by Alanis Morrisette.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, lol. But, I tend to think of the Biebs as somebody with similar appeal to the Boy Bands from that period, like the Backstreet Boys, and I don't know anybody of my generation who gets nostalgic and decides to roll-out "Backstreet's back", lol :p

Edited due to some of my post not being posted.

Out all of those artists, do you know how much the more popular ones are pulling in each year? If not, then making an arbitrary list of random semi-popular and popular artists from decades ago doesn‘t seem like a fair comparison. As a quick example, I wouldn’t put Breaking Benjamin on the same list as RHCP, but I don’t know anything about how well each is doing today.

As another anecdote (since you’re basing your argument partly on what your daughter thinks), there are many artists who‘s music I can’t stand today, whereas others I still really like.

I’m a different generation than your daughter, so that might also play into things. On the one hand, my generation would buy a new album and play it over and over and over again, because I couldn’t afford to buy a million CDs, which would be the equivalent of today’s streaming. I felt a stronger connection to an artist then, mostly because choices were limited. I believe this made more of a personal connection that was also shared with friends. On the other hand, things like TikTok and YouTube make it extremely easy to get your content out there.

I’m also not making a prediction about what Bieber WILL do, but what he can do. More specifically, I was simply comparing two different talents as an example: ex-pro sports players vs super popular and successful music artists. I would argue that the latter has more prospects than the former.

I already gave you one example with Shaggy. I haven’t heard anything from him in a long time, but he played Sebastian in the live action The Little Mermaid. I don’t know how much money he made or stands to make, but he had that option and he did a really good job.

Last edited:
Out all of those artists, do you know how much the more popular ones are pulling in each year? If not, then making an arbitrary list of random semi-popular and popular artists from decades ago doesn‘t seem like a fair comparison. As a quick example, I wouldn’t put Breaking Benjamin on the same list as RHCP, but I don’t know anything about how well each is doing today.
That's my point though, we don't follow them because they are no longer on heavy cycle and haven't produced any real bangers since that period.
As another anecdote (since you’re basing your argument partly on what your daughter thinks), there are many artists who‘s music I can’t stand today, whereas others I still really like.
I'm not really basing an argument on what my 14 year old daughter thinks, I'm just pointing out that at least as far as his audience goes, they don't seem to be all that committed, similar to the example I gave about the Boy Bands from when I was her age.
I’m a different generation than your daughter, so that might also play into things. On the one hand, my generation would buy a new album and play it over and over and over again, because I couldn’t afford to buy a million CDs, which would be the equivalent of today’s streaming. We lIked an artist more then, because choices were limited we found new music through friends. I believe this made more of a personal connection. On the other hand, things like Tik Tok and YouTube make it extremely easy to get your content out there.
I was assuming you and I were of the same generation, I'm in my early 40's.
I’m also not making a prediction about what Bieber WILL do, but what he can do. More specifically, I was simply comparing two different talents as an example: ex-pro sports players vs super popular and successful music artists. I would argue that the latter has more prospects than the former.
Neither am I, just noting that pop seems to have less "staying power" than other genres and that certain sub genres, if you can consider the Boy Band a sub genre, fair even worse.

That's my point though, we don't follow them because they are no longer on heavy cycle and haven't produced any real bangers since that period.

I'm not really basing an argument on what my 14 year old daughter thinks, I'm just pointing out that at least as far as his audience goes, they don't seem to be all that committed, similar to the example I gave about the Boy Bands from when I was her age.

I was assuming you and I were of the same generation, I'm in my early 40's.

Neither am I, just noting that pop seems to have less "staying power" than other genres and that certain sub genres, if you can consider the Boy Band a sub genre, fair even worse.

Wait, what are we arguing about again?

Maybe I was too verbose. Simply put, Bieber has the ability to make money and won’t necessarily go broke. Furthermore, if what you say is true and he loses every single fan and completely disappears into obscurity, selling now makes sense. So, he has whatever he already had plus this $200M, and the ability to make more.

One other key difference, is that this kind of modern pop music will always be popular, regardless of The artist. A hot song will always make money. 90s grunge, while relatively popular, was somewhat of a niche. Some of those artists didn’t have enough range to adapt to maintain younger audiences and others changed too much of existing fans. Very few were able to keep old and new audiences satisfied. One easy example of someone who was able to keep being relatively popular: Eminem. I like some of his new stuff more than I like what drew me to him in the first place.

Wait, what are we arguing about again?

Maybe I was too verbose. Simply put, Bieber has the ability to make money and won’t necessarily go broke. Furthermore, if what you say is true and he loses every single fan and completely disappears into obscurity, selling now makes sense. So, he has whatever he already had plus this $200M, and the ability to make more.

One other key difference, is that this kind of modern pop music will always be popular, regardless of The artist. A hot song will always make money. 90s grunge, while relatively popular, was somewhat of a niche. Some of those artists didn’t have enough range to adapt to maintain younger audiences and others changed too much of existing fans. Very few were able to keep old and new audiences satisfied. One easy example of someone who was able to keep being relatively popular: Eminem. I like some of his new stuff more than I like what drew me to him in the first place.
Think we are on the same page :)

Yeah, that's that fickle nature of pop, what's "in" is always changing/evolving. We could delve into that a bit further and note the distinction between pop the genre, like the Biebs, Katy Perry, Britney Spears...etc and pop the category, which has featured Rammstein, Metallica, Eminem, Tupac, Shania Twain, the Rolling Stones...etc, none of which are pop artists, but all of which have produced chart topping songs that featured heavy rotation on pop stations.

Think we are on the same page :)

Yeah, that's that fickle nature of pop, what's "in" is always changing/evolving. We could delve into that a bit further and note the distinction between pop the genre, like the Biebs, Katy Perry, Britney Spears...etc and pop the category, which has featured Rammstein, Metallica, Eminem, Tupac, Shania Twain, the Rolling Stones...etc, none of which are pop artists, but all of which have produced chart topping songs that featured heavy rotation on pop stations.

Good points. One other example of a band that I consider one of my favorites had a couple of somewhat popular songs way back when, but they were short-lived, IIRC: Modest Mouse. I actually discovered them when their Float On video played on MTV. I don’t know how much money they make off of fans like me, but they‘ve been putting out stuff for a long time.

Like Modest Mouse, there are other less popular indie bands that I believe have a somewhat strong following, or at least people like me would always be interested in their new stuff; Death Cab for Cutie, for example. Ben Gibbard has pretty much the same limited range of singing in every single song, but I’m still drawn to his newer music.

My question, in other words, is how popular does an artist really need to be to make enough money to pay the bills? Artists, like some that we all personally like, but aren’t as popular as Bieber, seem to be able to do at least we’ll enough to put out music here and there; relatively recently, even if not continually.

I was actually surprised that the theme song for the new Apple TV+ show, Shrinking, is a new Death Cab for Cutie song. Shrinking is pretty good, btw. Another example: I also saw a funny commercial with one of the boy bands, where they sing some spoof version of one of their hit songs. The lady they’re singing to is cut off when she starts to call them by another band name. They respond dejectedly, “yea, that’s not us”. I’m sorry I don‘t have more details; I only saw it once a couple of days ago. My point is that they might have been the butt of a joke, but they still got paid...something.

I think he's Canadian so no SS as far as I know. I really wouldn't know this guy if I saw him on the street.

Good point. I forgot he was Canadian.

As far as recognizing him, I’m not sure that matters. There are awesome songs from artists I have never heard of that pop up on my streaming app. I may listen to their song or songs dozens of times in short order and forget about, or over an extended period of time and keep tabs on them. Regardless, I have very little interest in any of their bios. There are also artists that I really like and have liked for a long time whom I wouldn’t recognize, even if we had a face to face conversation. I might be unique in that I don’t care about what they look like, what they do in their free time and who that have beef with. I also won’t ever get excited to see a celebrity in real life or go out of my way to get an autograph. These people are getting paid to entertain me.

Now, I also know that I’m more likely to check out some new music from an artist I recognize as having historically put out content that I like. Bieber isn’t on any of my playlists currently, but he has put out enough stuff that I liked that I’d be interested in at least checking out anything new he puts out. That gives him an advantage over some other artist I haven’t heard of, especially if it’s been a while. In other words, if Bieber falls off the face of the Earth and then puts something out a decade from now I bet it’ll get at least some attention and peak some of our curiosity.

Back