Justin Bieber sells music rights for $200 million

I'm glad Justin opened up to Jesus and became a God fearing man.

He's got some exquisite taste in tattoos. :rolleyes:

I think it's safe to say he has a decent amount in the bank already, it's not like the ~120 million he'll reap from this is his only money, and it also doesn't mean he won't make any more income in the future.

I mean 200 million invested at a measly 5% is ten million dollars per year. If you live a lifestyle that can't work out how to live with ~6 million per year after taxes, you've got some issues.

I don't follow this guys music but I don't blame him for selling, he's exiting on top rather than burning out or trying stay relevant. Maybe he wants to start a family with his wifey or just get away from it all? He has had a few health issues, hopefully they are better. Seems like a good guy for the crowd he's in, never really any horrible news about him.

Maybe he could have gotten more had the economy been better, but who ever bought his rights must think they are getting a deal and they probably are.

Since we are nearing, IMHO, the bottom in the stock market in 23-24, if his financial advisor buys into the right funds and doesn't get reckless, he could make more than $200MM in a few years. But man, $40MM for the attorney, wheew!

The music business has alot of ugly contracts. An entertainer/musician at this point in his career usually has two pathways they commonly pursue; buyout their "masters" which would make them sole owners of their music for a cost, or sell the rights to another publishing house etc for a dollar figure. The decision is highly based on how popular their music is and will chart in the future in different capacities like video games, movies, sports events etc.

In this case the company behind this purchase was an investment firm (in partnership with some record company) that probably offered the most and is now going to try to resell them to various orgs that were using them for $$$$.

I wonder what the investment firm, who has done similar deals with Bob Dylan and Bruce Springsteen have amassed with similar deals.

Maybe Bieber is smart and realises there's not much money left in music rights....
Streaming

I also think that big enough musicians (AC-DC, Metallica, Van Halen, etc) re-release or remaster their albums under re-negotiated terms so they get a possible influx of new money.

I think it was a wise thing for him to do because with each passing year, and new distribution channel, the market becomes more diluted.

Hipgnosis would argue the opposite, that each song goes up in value, but personally I have never in my life, paid less per song than now. Well it would be impossible anyway, since I pay 0 cents for streaming music, unless they paid me. I think Amazon did that once, had a promo that gave me a $5 gift card credit for streaming a song, lol. I didn't use the 5 bucks on more music streaming.

The point of my post was how does he protect this massive payday. Lots of sharks out there. When you get your clock cleaned, but get monthly royalties, one can still do ok. But his royalties have been paid into one lump sum...... My post was in no way a hit on him selling his rights, it was about to how to keep what he has.

The point of my post was how does he protect this massive payday. Lots of sharks out there. When you get your clock cleaned, but get monthly royalties, one can still do ok. But his royalties have been paid into one lump sum...... My post was in no way a hit on him selling his rights, it was about to how to keep what he has.
Mo money Mo problems?

In that tax bracket, I assume their alot of unadvertised high risk high reward investment opportunities such as Aerodyne Inc (Wolf of Wall street ref) and the next uber.

I can't name a single Justin Bieber song (I am sure AquariusCSM knows them all)
Haha I'll tell you a funny story (you brought back a good and funny memory!). A guy I worked with years ago was a bouncer at a club (we both worked in a retail clothing store, and he was a bouncer there at night). He invited a bunch of us to go see a live band and have drinks after work one night. I brought my gf and a few of her friends. We had a huge group of us there. Turned out to be a Justin Bieber cover band! :ROFLMAO: In the middle of a song, the lead singer walks over to our table while singing, and hands me an autographed cd of their band haha!(y)

Was a really fun night for everyone!

He‘s still young and I haven’t heard anything about him, except some medical issues, that lead me to believe he’s going to go nuts and then quickly go broke.

Regardless of whether you like his last teeny-bopper music, he has the option of capitalizing off of his voice however he needs to.

Does anyone remember the Reggae/rap artist Shaggy from the 90s? Yea, I had forgotten about him, too. Well, my kid just watched a live action version of The Little Mermaid and Shaggy played Sebastian the crab and did a pretty dang good job. If you have talent, only you can screw you over.

Last edited:
Easy come, easy go? Everyone thinks they (meaning subjectively, that person, not they meaning celebrities as an abstract) work SO HARD for what they earned, but let's face it, he did not work 1000% harder than some fry chief at McDonalds, yet got paid far more than 1000% more, so I have no concern if he wants to spend away his windfall. He'll value the money based on the work to get it, or if he blows it all because he's an idiot, then he didn't deserve it in the first place. If he instead donates it to charity, much respect for that.

I'm not trying to discount, encouraging artists to add to our entertainment by making a good living doing so, but our society has grossly exaggerated the value of being a superstar in so many different professions, and ignored that the superstars, didn't really get there on their own, rather it took everyone down to that fry cook at mcdonald's that gave them something to eat. If you're wondering, no I don't work at McDonald's, or as a fry chef, lol. There was a time in the 70's when the fries were cooked in lard, that I might have considered it.... melt in your mouth good!

Last edited:
But he has many, many hits that will be a part of people’s lives forever. Just like some of you still listen to the same old songs over and over, so to Will his fans.
Think so? My daughter was a Biebs fan, doesn't listen to him anymore, neither do her friends from what I hear. Pop doesn't seem to have the staying power, even with multiple hits, that other genres seem to.

What bands from your youth do you still listen to now? Now consider, what bands from your youth you've not listened to since.

Artists that kinda drifted off into, or mostly into, obscurity from when I was young(er):
- Alanis Morrisette
- Smashing Pumpkins
- Red Hot Chilli Peppers
- Aqua
- No Doubt
- Bush
- Matchbox 20
- Dave Matthews Band
- Matthew Good Band
- Blur
- Oasis
- Silverchair
- 3 Doors Down
- Our Lady Peace
- Nada Surf
- Moist
- Live
- Garbage
- Everclear
- Breaking Benjamin
- Big Wreck
- Big Sugar
- Amanda Marshall
- Ace of Base
- Backstreet Boys
- N-Sync
- Beck
- Blink 182
- Britney Spears
- The Goo Goo Dolls

I'm sure we could list many, MANY more. Is Christina Aguilera still active?

Some of them are only one or two hit wonders, sure. Others have many albums. I'm sure many are still performing, but they aren't headlining shows like Metallica who pre-dates the lot of them and is still making new music.

Growing up with Much Music and MTV, we were regularly exposed to a huge variety of music from all kinds of artists ranging from well established to up and coming, they even had an Indie segment. But at least for me personally, from that huge list of popular artists/bands from that period, the list of what I choose to listen to regularly decades later is much shorter.

"Bullet with Butterfly Wings" by the Smashing Pumpkins has to be one of the most over-played songs of all time, aired many times a day during that period. I heard it more than enough times then. I'd rather jump-rope naked when it's -30 with the rope on fire and somebody shooting roman candles at me than listen to anything by Alanis Morrisette.

Of course, I could be totally wrong, lol. But, I tend to think of the Biebs as somebody with similar appeal to the Boy Bands from that period, like the Backstreet Boys, and I don't know anybody of my generation who gets nostalgic and decides to roll-out "Backstreet's back", lol :p

A lot of popsters seem to have evolved from first being actors or studio/record label creations. Hard rock bands seem to have evolved from actual bands who started out playing in their parents' living rooms, and kept evolving.

Artists that kinda drifted off into, or mostly into, obscurity from when I was young(er):
- Alanis Morrisette
- Smashing Pumpkins
- Red Hot Chilli Peppers
- Aqua
- No Doubt
- Bush
- Matchbox 20
- Dave Matthews Band
- Matthew Good Band
- Blur
- Oasis
- Silverchair
- 3 Doors Down
- Our Lady Peace
- Nada Surf
- Moist
- Live
- Garbage
- Everclear
- Breaking Benjamin
- Big Wreck
- Big Sugar
- Amanda Marshall
- Ace of Base
- Backstreet Boys
- N-Sync
- Beck
- Blink 182
- Britney Spears
- The Goo Goo Dolls

You just described the CD album in every college kid's car in 1999.

Back