Just wow on the Walkman....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, you can laugh at me now. I still have my Walkman tape player. Granted, I do have MP3 players, but I find it best to use my walkman for things like going for a walk.

Then I find out they stopped making them a few months ago. And my current WM is on it's way out after 8 years....then decided on a simple model the 197 (I have the 195) These are the more basic ones, which tend to last longer. I did find a few on the web...for 130 BUCKS! Since when does one of these things cost that much? Wow...

Anyways, I'm looking for some suggestions on where to look...haven't really been able to find them on the web for a decent price...

I had heard they stopped making them, but I thought it was just for Japan, I could be wrong. Nothing wrong with something that works. I still have a tape deck in the car and record onto tape from vinyl. I won't laugh at you if you don't laugh at me. I'll have to find one of those things so I can rock out at the gym while wearing a Waffle House t-shirt.

It looks like Amazon has them still for $30.

Last edited:
Well, too late for this one- Over Thanksgiving I gave one still sealed in pkg to my sister-in-law, bought it cheep on evilbay 2-3 yrs ago. That's where I'd look first. I still have an old Sony, low-med end price-wise, bought in late 80s, and a much newer Philips w/digital radio. Still handy sometimes!

Yup, I just looked- *tons* of 'em on evilbay. If you want it to have the best possible radio, IMO your best bet is semi-late production(mid-90's & newer) Sony with an analog tuner. If you only care about playing cassettes & any brand is OK, I saw some new Coby units available "buy it now" for less than $12 shipped.
OR: ck your local Dollar Store for new off-brand portable cassette players. Don't forget thrift stores in your area, like Salvation Army & Goodwill- you might find a lightly used big-name treasure there at a real bargain price too! Garage sales, Craigslist- lots of ways to look, and there are still jillions of good used Walkman-type cassette players out there.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: heavychevy96
I had heard they stopped making them, but I thought it was just for Japan, I could be wrong. Nothing wrong with something that works. I still have a tape deck in the car and record onto tape from vinyl. I won't laugh at you if you don't laugh at me. I'll have to find one of those things so I can rock out at the gym while wearing a Waffle House t-shirt.

It looks like Amazon has them still for $30.

No laughs here guys...I wish my vehicles still had a cassette in them..:( I also record from vinyl on too tape..I have two very decent quality decks... Not slamming MP3's here, but to my ears a well recorded tape has a "warmth" or realness to the sound that the MP3's which I have heard do not.Fiancee thinks I am "Nuts"..but oh well..:)

Only tape for me as well and I too, am worried for the day when the deck in my truck is dead and when my Walkman plays its last tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back