Frustrated at Xfinity and myself

I got an email asking to upgrade my Cable Modem for better upload speeds:

Faster internet speeds now available​

Upgrade your internet equipment today!​

Good news
You can now enjoy up to 5-10x faster upload speeds and smoother connections with your current Xfinity Internet package.

Easy next steps
Your internet equipment is unable to deliver these new speeds, but it’s easy to find a compatible device to purchase.See options below.

So I buy a new modem on their list and find the exact same 400-500 down and 10-12up. I was expecting 50-100 up but no change….

I feel stupid spending the $160 for updated modem:

ARRIS Surfboard S33 DOCSIS 3.1 Multi-Gigabit Cable Modem​

Ugh!!!!

I get stuff like that all the time from Cox. When I look at what they are offering it is either a downgrade from what I already have or the exact same thing.

Their "security" feature when turned on prevented me from getting to my customer's conference page. Simple HTTPS page out of Norwich CT.

Never understood why offering internet security would be an "extra item" Shouldn't they be on top of that stuff in their SOC

I got an email asking to upgrade my Cable Modem for better upload speeds:

Faster internet speeds now available​

Upgrade your internet equipment today!​

Good news
You can now enjoy up to 5-10x faster upload speeds and smoother connections with your current Xfinity Internet package.

Easy next steps
Your internet equipment is unable to deliver these new speeds, but it’s easy to find a compatible device to purchase. See options below.

So I buy a new modem on their list and find the exact same 400-500 down and 10-12up. I was expecting 50-100 up but no change….

I feel stupid spending the $160 for updated modem:

ARRIS Surfboard S33 DOCSIS 3.1 Multi-Gigabit Cable Modem​

Ugh!!!!
So what did their customer service / tech support say about it?

Since it says 5-10x upload that sounds like they lit of mid-split in your area, the Arris S33 is not certified for mid-split, I think the only modem currently available for sale that can do mid-split upstream on Comcast is the Hitron CODA.

How are you measuring throughput? With what device, program, how many concurrent sockets, wired or wifi?

How are you measuring throughput? With what device, program, how many concurrent sockets, wired or wifi?
It doesn't matter what he's using as he will not get faster upload because Comcast only allows mid-split OFDMA upstream on the Hitron CODA and CODA56 as standalone modems, they had the Netgear CM2050v on the list and they removed support for it, and the only other devices currently available the Arris G54 and Netgear CBR750 are expensive all in one Gateways, and the Netgear CM3000 is not available for sale and currently has no ETA.
1703035320309.jpg

It doesn't matter what he's using as he will not get faster upload because Comcast only allows mid-split OFDMA upstream on the Hitron CODA and CODA56 as standalone modems
The OP asked about upload and I read download. Yeah, those two modems are the only ones that support the fast upload speeds.

I wonder how DOCSIS is going to compete with PON in the future? DOCSIS 3.1 has limited upload bandwidth and 4.0 is full duplex, but still is not fully synchronous. PON is full duplex, synchronous, only needs a single fiber (not a pair), and being deployed with the capability of 25GB to each end user in both directions. 100G PON is already here to deploy if needed. DOCSIS and PON are the same in that the last mile is shared. Your neighbor's usage may affect your speed. Many mistakenly believe that since PON is optical, that it's not shared bandwidth. PON is absolutely shared bandwidth, the fairness algorithms and CoS are very sophisticated, but past the splitter, it's all shared. Still, I don't see DOCSIS surviving for more than another decade or 15 years, there just isn't enough bandwidth to pass enough homes on one segment to maintain profitability in the future.

I wonder how DOCSIS is going to compete with PON in the future? DOCSIS 3.1 has limited upload bandwidth and 4.0 is full duplex, but still is not fully synchronous. PON is full duplex, synchronous, only needs a single fiber (not a pair), and being deployed with the capability of 25GB to each end user in both directions. 100G PON is already here to deploy if needed. DOCSIS and PON are the same in that the last mile is shared. Your neighbor's usage may affect your speed. Many mistakenly believe that since PON is optical, that it's not shared bandwidth. PON is absolutely shared bandwidth, the fairness algorithms and CoS are very sophisticated, but past the splitter, it's all shared. Still, I don't see DOCSIS surviving for more than another decade or 15 years, there just isn't enough bandwidth to pass enough homes on one segment to maintain profitability in the future.
I think DOCSIS will try to push fiber deeper to N+1 or N+0 and then eventually replace the HFC nodes with EPON nodes and replace the remaining COAX in the lastmile.

Last edited:
we got some smart dudes on here. all of this is way above my pay grade ,but i learn a lot .

Back