Just wondering? Fram Ultra..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dumb question for you guys. I'm an OEM guy (MC and no reason to switch yet) and have never used a Fram Ultra, but one thing I am seeing when guys cut them open is that they look like they have hairy fibers sticking out all over the filter media. Does anyone worry that any of these fibers can come off the media and make it into the engine? I'm sure they are built solid and such, but I always see those fibers and sort of cringe.

Here is a good picture post from ZeeoSix
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...K_M#Post3534098

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1kickbuttranger
I have a dumb question for you guys. I'm an OEM guy (MC and no reason to switch yet) and have never used a Fram Ultra, but one thing I am seeing when guys cut them open is that they look like they have hairy fibers sticking out all over the filter media. Does anyone worry that any of these fibers can come off the media and make it into the engine? I'm sure they are built solid and such, but I always see those fibers and sort of cringe.

How it works.

I believe the hairiness only occurs on the outside.
I have seen only a couple photos of them open and they weren't hairy at all, pre and post use while the outside is.
Cant find one right now sorry.

The Ultra has two media layers. The inner layer probably isn't "hairy" like the outside layer. I didn't cut open the media to see, but might do that since I still have that cut open one on the work bench.

Fram Ultra Info

I never knew it was dual layer. Interesting..

Its a good filter and can typically be had for less then some OEM filters. The AC Delco for my car is $5.80 something. Not bad not great. $7.98 for Fram Ultra, better build quality, better filtration, and last longer. I can't complain.

I like Fram Ultra they are top tier filter at a very reasonable price. Doesnt mean you have to use them, but I would recommend them.

Hairy fibers ... Sounds like my wife talking about my back again! Lol ...Love the Fram Ultra I have cut many a filter open and I think for the $ it is the best built filter on the market right now.

Hello
First off, the MC filter is not the OEM filter on Ford vehicles, the filter it rolls out of the factory is built by FRAM Filtration, the over the counter OES filters are made by Purolator. The Ultra is a double layer media filter. Keep in mind the direction of oil flow is from the outside in. The outer layer is a coarser woven glass made to capture larger particles, the inner layer is more dense layer of woven microglass fibers designed to capture smaller particles.

It's true that technically speaking the MC is not the 'OEM' but the OE'S' part. Rightly or wrongly, some here use the terms interchangeably. However if one goes to a 'Ford Dealer' for a replacement dealer filter, it is the Purolator made Motorcraft filter that one will purchase/recieve. So while the OP technically misidentified a letter I think most understood the point being made.

And while being technical, it's also true that Champ Labs has supplied/produced the FoMoCo assembly line filter for quite some time. That would include before being purchased by Rank Grp and before Fram's subsequent purchase by the same. Now that Champ is under the UCI/Fram it's under 'Fram filtration banner.' Also a similar situation now for the Champ Labs made ACDelco.

Important to also note technically speaking, that the FoMoCo oem construction is similar to the Motorcraft filter construction in that, it too uses thread end bypass, silicone adbv and 'metal' endcap construction. So while technical speaking it's under Fram filtration now, it still uses Champ Labs construction.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
It's true that technically speaking the MC is not the 'OEM' but the OE'S' part. Rightly or wrongly, some here use the terms interchangeably. However if one goes to a 'Ford Dealer' for a replacement dealer filter, it is the Purolator made Motorcraft filter that one will purchase/recieve. So while the OP technically misidentified a letter I think most understood the point being made.

And while being technical, it's also true that Champ Labs has supplied/produced the FoMoCo assembly line filter for quite some time. That would include before being purchased by Rank Grp and before Fram's subsequent purchase by the same. Now that Champ is under the UCI/Fram it's under 'Fram filtration banner.' Also a similar situation now for the Champ Labs made ACDelco.

Important to also note technically speaking, that the FoMoCo oem construction is similar to the Motorcraft filter construction in that, it too uses thread end bypass, silicone adbv and 'metal' endcap construction. So while technical speaking it's under Fram filtration now, it still uses Champ Labs construction.

Nice!! That's exactly what I meant.

Also, just a side note, I would be hesitant to use OEM Champ filters, as for the first 2500 miles on that filter when the truck was brand new, I had some start up knock at times. With the OES MC filter, no start up noise ever in many, many miles. (About 85 filters worth)

Last edited:
The Fram Ultra is built like a tank. I rec'd a Longacre oil filter cutter for Christmas and have taken the plunge. I cut open a Bosch Premium (new) and a Fram Ultra (used for a 5 k oil change). These filters are the small ones used on most Hondas. The Fram number is 7317. While the Bosch looked decent, I was shocked at how much better the Ultra was built. I know this is not an apples to apples comparison...........but the Ultra amazed me.

The fibers were tight with no loose threads

As soon as I learn to post pics I will pass them along.

Originally Posted By: GoHeels1981
The Fram Ultra is built like a tank. I rec'd a Longacre oil filter cutter for Christmas and have taken the plunge. I cut open a Bosch Premium (new) and a Fram Ultra (used for a 5 k oil change). These filters are the small ones used on most Hondas. The Fram number is 7317. While the Bosch looked decent, I was shocked at how much better the Ultra was built. I know this is not an apples to apples comparison...........but the Ultra amazed me.

The fibers were tight with no loose threads

As soon as I learn to post pics I will pass them along.

Looking forward to that photo.

Quote:
i never knew ford filters off the assembly line were frams..

As the previous detailed explanation in this thread points out, it's built under UCI 'Fram filtration' banner, not Fram construction. So in this case it's a distinction with a difference.

As the linked 2010 Ford Factory Filter( linked here) shows it's made by Champ. It's similar in appearance to M1 also made by Champ. And as noted earlier before Champ being place under 'Fram filtration' There's also another factory filter posted 2013 showing the same construction. As said, still a Champ made filter with Champ construction.

As for the Ultra, Bosch Premium notation, a google search of this site will yield many previous dissections both new and used. And also true not an apples to apples comparison. Otoh, afaik the Bosch Long Life synthetic has not been seen, but if like the BP/P1 similarity it's a Puro PSL clone.

And while looking for Ford OEM oil filter decided to google search, guess what filter shows on Web and Images. Looks like similar to the OP even Google doesn't make the technical OEM OES distinction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back